advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Need advice on Motorcycle helmet.
Posted by: D-Rod
Date: July 05, 2006 10:58AM
I just got a motorcycle after not riding for too many years and now I need a couple of helmets. What should I be looking for and is there any place special I should be looking. Is it still important to have it Snell approved?

Formerly known as Dennis R
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Need advice on Motorcycle helmet.
Posted by: blusubaru
Date: July 05, 2006 11:13AM
I don't know about Snell, but Rothlisberger approval might be in order
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 05, 2006 11:17AM
that show on the discovery channel makes theme bikes seem cool, maybe you should get a theme helmet.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 05, 2006 11:19AM
Your state may have specific requirements. Snell is a generally good measure of impact and penetration. Lots of people make good helmets, Bell is the biggie as far as I know.

Good on you for thinking about helmets ! In Ohio, they were considering a law to make it a crime (ticket) for little kids to not wear bicycle helmets. Adults, OTOH, can drive their ginormous motorcycles at umpteen MpH without any cranial protection whatsoever.
Date: July 05, 2006 11:30AM
cbelt3, I wonder if they don't need helmets because their head is so thick.

Posted by: IrvingSmiley
Date: July 05, 2006 11:32AM
Snell or DOT. Different tests. Either is acceptible to me. Neither is NEVER acceptible.

Full-face helmets offer the most protection, and anything else is a compromise. However, some people do not like the confinement, or may wish to be less anonymous in certain situations (I occasionally run interference for bicycle races, and full face helmets do not work, as I need to be able to talk to the cyclists sometimes when on the motorcycle). A good option is a "flip-up" helmet, where the chin bar is on a hinge. But it still offers less protection than a full-face.

Helmet manufacturors do not mold the inside of their helmets the same. A certain brand will fit your head better or worse than another brand, once you get your size correct. I have a "Shoei-head" while some of my friends have "Arai-heads". Try several brands for the best comfort.

All helmet brands and models will generate different levels and types of wind noise - and you on your cycle will have an impact on that noise. The only way to tell if a helmet will be quiet for you is to "test-ride" it and the other helmets that fit and are comfortable. Some dealers will not allow test rides.

If you ride a lot, you should consider if the helmet you pick has removable liner pieces. My liner pieces are due for a trip to the washing machine (delicate, air dry) as it is REALLY hot this summer where I live, and I have been sweating a lot in my helmet.

Solid white or one of the ugly emergency colors (solid) are apparently the most visible, according to a test I read a long time ago and cannot scrounge up today on the internet.

I'm loyal to my local dealer who is also a friend (and his wife is a friend of my wife). So I buy there since he carries the Shoei line (see above). There are several online sources, but you need to check return policies carefully, in case the fit is not to your comfort. J&M and Sierra Electronics come to mind, but they tend to want to also sell you electronics for your helmet (intercom, speakers, etc.) Also look at RiderWearHouse (the makers of the Aerostich suit) - best customer service in the motorcycle business (I don't own stock).

I'm not an expert on helmets, but I do have over 100,000 miles on motorcycles, and most of my friends have MANY more miles than that. We know as much about helmets, or can make it up, as any non-expert can. If you have specific questions, I will be glad to give you my opinions on those, or ask around for answers if I don't know myself.
Posted by: qdog
Date: July 05, 2006 11:42AM
Bell helmets have not been heard from for years until recently. Arai and Shoei is the big names in helmets now but they tend to be very pricey.
But you can get a decent helmet from HJC and KBC for a reasonable price. As long as the helmet is DOT approved you should be good to go.
Posted by: earache
Date: July 05, 2006 12:20PM
A nice full face, flip up helmet to look at is the Nolan N100e. Good price, at about $230, and really comfortable. My wife and I both have one and love them.

earache
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 05, 2006 01:11PM
I got a KBC TK-7 helmet with a Snell M2000 rating for $50 on sale two years ago. Be aware that if you do not buy it at a motorcycle shop, there are different ratings for motorcycle and auto racing applications. From what I understand, the motorcycle rating is better for resisting penetration.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: July 05, 2006 01:13PM
Thanks for all the info. It gives me a good starting position.

Dennis R

Posted by: apocketfulofwry
Date: July 05, 2006 01:37PM
a long read but a good place to start:

[www.motorcyclistonline.com]
Posted by: JoeBob
Date: July 05, 2006 02:24PM
HJC seems to fit my head best, and prices are reasonable.
However, don't skimp on a helmet.
Helmets are cheaper than time in a rehab hospital.
Posted by: MacArtist
Date: July 05, 2006 04:53PM
I have always used Shoei helmets. They seem to fit my noggin pretty well.

Buy a quality helmet. You get what you pay for.

Resist the temptation to buy a helmet the same color as the bike. Go with a solid color helmet (I prefer black). That way after the bike is long gone, the helmet doesn't look out of place.

Just my 2¢ worth.

I never ride without a helmet.

I sit on a man’s back, choking him and making
him carry me, and yet assure myself and others
that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his
lot by all possible means — except by getting off
his back. - Leo Tolstoy, novelist and Philosopher
(1828-1910)

Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 05, 2006 05:43PM
Remember, the helmet is the second most important piece of safety equipment, and is designed to protect the most important safety equipment, your brain.

Never ever skimp on safety equipment. the money you save on a cheap helmet is no where close to what a good brain surgeon will cost, nor a lifetime of assisted care to wipe the drool off when you drink.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 145
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020