advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
random thought: life on the Hawaiian islands
Posted by: AllGold
Date: December 12, 2011 07:18PM
Robfilm's question about Sprint service on the islands reminded me of something I have always wondered about...

So the Hawaiian islands are just a series of big volcanoes that rose from the ocean floor smack in the middle of the planet's largest ocean (an ocean which is actually shrinking; it used to be even more vast).

How did the great variety of life that inhabits the islands get there? I mean before humans. For that matter how did humans get there before recorded history?

Seems like an incredibly long way to swim or fly (or row in the case of the native human population).

I suppose the diversity of fauna there IS somewhat limited (no big cats, elephants, etc.) but I don't know for sure.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: random thought: life on the Hawaiian islands
Posted by: p8712
Date: December 12, 2011 07:37PM
Here ya go
Posted by: Winston
Date: December 12, 2011 07:39PM
It was all intelligently designed.
devil smiley
angel smiley

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: haikuman
Date: December 12, 2011 07:56PM
[en.wikipedia.org]

The earliest settlements in the Hawaiian Islands were made by Polynesians who traveled to Hawaii using large double-hulled canoes. They brought with them pigs, dogs, chickens, taro, sweet potatoes, coconut, banana, and sugarcane.

[www.alternative-hawaii.com]

Generally believed to be the first inhabitants of the Hawaiian Islands, the Polynesians migrated throughout the Pacific in sailing canoes. The Polynesian migrations most likely began from the islands of Fiji, Tonga and Samoa, spreading east, south and north, covering millions of square miles of ocean.

Archaeological evidence combined with the degree of similarity in languages, cultural practices and transported plants indicate that the order of migration was first to the east to the Cook Islands, then on to Tahiti Nui, the Society Islands, the Marquesas islands, Easter Island, Hawaii, and finally south to New Zealand.

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish"
Steve Jobs

"There are only two mantras yum and yuk mine is yum "
Bernard Mickey Wrangle<>Tom Robbins<> "Still Life With Woodpecker"

"There is a fine line between a rut and a groove"
G.D. Kittredge III

"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2011 07:58PM by haikuman.
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: December 12, 2011 08:27PM
Chia pets were the first inhabitants.

[www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: dad@home
Date: December 12, 2011 08:42PM
While not directly pertaining to your question a terrific book (only slightly dated) that puts human development and migration into clear focus is Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond. It won a Pulitzer and reads very easily.
I remembered it in reference to your question because he explained beautifully the migration of the Pacific island people using conventional archaeologic methods along with DNA and Linguistic analysis. I never would have imagined that they (the polynesians) all started in Formosa.

[www.amazon.com]

dad

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2011 08:47PM by dad@home.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 12, 2011 09:12PM
......just a quick question but if you like in Hawaii and life there starts to get boring.....does it become maHOLLOW [mahalo]....?????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: M>B>
Date: December 12, 2011 09:54PM
The be all and do all is James Michener's "Hawaíí".

[www.amazon.com]
Posted by: tenders
Date: December 12, 2011 11:30PM
dad@home
While not directly pertaining to your question a terrific book (only slightly dated) that puts human development and migration into clear focus is Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond. It won a Pulitzer and reads very easily.
I remembered it in reference to your question because he explained beautifully the migration of the Pacific island people using conventional archaeologic methods along with DNA and Linguistic analysis. I never would have imagined that they (the polynesians) all started in Formosa.

[www.amazon.com]

dad

One of the best books I have ever read.
Posted by: haikuman
Date: December 12, 2011 11:46PM
dad@home

[www.amazon.com]

dad

Thanks for the heads up I could use a new book. . .
Rudie *(:>*

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish"
Steve Jobs

"There are only two mantras yum and yuk mine is yum "
Bernard Mickey Wrangle<>Tom Robbins<> "Still Life With Woodpecker"

"There is a fine line between a rut and a groove"
G.D. Kittredge III

"

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 13, 2011 01:33AM
tenders
dad@home

[www.amazon.com]

dad

One of the best books I have ever read.

His Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed is also a very interesting read.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: December 13, 2011 08:06AM
While the Hawaiian island are isolated, there ARE islands uninhabited by people, in between the Hawaiian islands and other inhabited land. The Northwestern Hawaiian islands are an example.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: December 13, 2011 11:38AM
Hawaii could use some snakes like Guam.devil smiley
Posted by: AllGold
Date: December 13, 2011 02:58PM
That map on the alternative-hawaii link shows a lot more islands and land to the west and south than I realized. However, it looks like it's nearly 1800 miles of nothing between the Hawaiian islands and east to North America and I thought it was more isolated like that to the west and south too.

I learned something.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 64
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020