advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
iPhone 4S: VZW vs. Sprint.... what say ye?
Posted by: BillMac
Date: January 09, 2012 08:25PM
Getting ready to upgrade, and I'm currently on Verizon. Unlimited data on Sprint for 2 phones is about $150 plus taxes/surcharges. 2GB plan on VZW for 2 phones is about the same price. The rest of the family is on VZW, so they would be charged for any calls to/from Sprint.

Data-wise, the no-brainer winner is Sprint. I live in Reading, PA. Any idea if there are any coverage differences? Network differences? Anything else I should be weighing here?

-Bill
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: iPhone 4S: VZW vs. Sprint.... what say ye?
Posted by: rgG
Date: January 09, 2012 08:45PM
Verizon typically has much better coverage than Sprint. Would you really use more than 2GB of data per month?

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2012 08:45PM by rgG.
Date: January 09, 2012 08:53PM
rgG
Verizon typically has much better coverage than Sprint. Would you really use more than 2GB of data per month?

That's one of my sticking points. My current phone is not a smartphone. I have no idea how much I'd actually use. I'm afraid of sticking with VZW and ending up spending more money for data if I go over. OTOH, I have no experience with Sprint.

-Bill
Posted by: tenders
Date: January 09, 2012 09:01PM
I consider myself a moderately curious user and don't use anywhere close to 2GB a month. However, I don't do video, at least on 3G.
Posted by: Psurfer
Date: January 09, 2012 09:01PM
Search the forum for a link to an iPhone data usage calculator, posted within the last month or so (by Phil?).
Short answer is 2 GB is typically enough if you're not downloading a lot of music, movies, etc.
Posted by: vision63
Date: January 09, 2012 09:12PM
When you jailbreak that puppy and use it as a free wifi hot spot, you'll be concerned about data then. Or I suppose one could pay the extra fee to use it as a wifi hot spot.

Sprint roams for free on Verizon's network btw (there is a slight catch). I don't even see the point of Verizon really. There's no comparison.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: January 09, 2012 09:43PM
I've had my iPhone 4 since day one with Verizon and I finally used 6Gb of data, so that like 10 1/2 months.
I've got unlimited and I plan on keeping it even though I don't really need at the moment.

Grateful11
Posted by: dad@home
Date: January 09, 2012 09:51PM
Two kids have ATT iPhones........terrible coverage especially in north Idaho where our vacation home is.

Wife has Verizon iPhone through work and I have Sprint iPhone. As far as I can tell the coverage here in Washington and North Idaho are identical. Will try to migrate kids to Sprint when their contracts are up because Sprint's family plan gets a lot cheaper at three phones.
When I picked up my Sprint phone I didn't port my Verizon number right away.... I made sure that the coverage was good.... then ported the number and said adios to Verizon.

dad
Posted by: Dick Moore
Date: January 09, 2012 11:44PM
I went Sprint.

What it is, man, a low-down and funky feelin'
Posted by: bhaveshp
Date: January 10, 2012 12:59AM
Verizon 3G is typically much faster than Sprint 3G, though both are much slower than AT&T.

Oh and in 4+ years of owning an iPhone, ive never exceeded 1.5 GB. And that's with Pandora and a Netflix movies streamed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2012 01:01AM by bhaveshp.
Posted by: edgarbc1
Date: January 10, 2012 03:20AM
you might bump the limit if you stream audio like from Pandora or I Heart Radio.
I find that I go over 2GB consistently when i listen to those services daily. I only do because
my work does not allow streaming audio from those services.

if your work or other local wifi allows you to offset your 3g phone usage to the computer or wifi then by all means you will probably stay under the 2GB limit.
Posted by: robfilms
Date: January 10, 2012 06:27AM
i have 4 iphone 4s on a family plan with sprint.

i have been a long-time sprint user-maybe 15yrs.

i travel a fair amount in the northeast from, dc to maine, and coverage has not been an issue.

i am located in metro nyc.

the best test might be to find a neighbor who has either sprint or verizon and invite them to your home if you believe for some reason signal strength could be an issue.

we have been VERY pleased with the iphone 4s/sprint combo.

ymmv

be well

rob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2012 06:27AM by robfilms.
Posted by: Gilbert
Date: January 10, 2012 11:42AM
Here is the data calculator from AT&T:

[www.att.com]

And one from T-Mobile:

[www.t-mobile.com]

different approaches on how to reach what your data usage might be on a monthly basis.
Date: January 10, 2012 08:21PM
Looks like I'll most likely be sticking with VZW and making sure there is NO streaming of music!!!

-Bill
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 130
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020