advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Aperture question
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: January 10, 2012 04:31PM
I'm trying to wrangle all my pics. Tagging and sorting and what not. So I've taken 1 Family and Friends "Project" and made 1 Family Project and 1 Friends Project. And I moved all the folders inside to their respective projects...except i didn't. The folders in my Friends Project still show the Project Path as Family. So now they show up in both. I would have thought the simple act of moving things around would update this stuff but i suppose I was wrong. So i do i change the Project Path. Or do i need to move things around differently in Aperture?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Aperture question
Date: January 10, 2012 04:54PM
Ok. What kind of dumbassery is this???

I selected ALL the albums and folders I want in the new Friends project. I then select New > Project. Which gives me a window to type in a name for said project. It also has a checkbox asking if I want to add selected items to the new project. So I check it and guess what? NOTHING happens!

Posted by: vision63
Date: January 10, 2012 07:22PM
I assume you've chosen to "reference" your Masters. If you reorganize your folders wherever you move them to, you can tell Aperture to "relocate" the masters. But I don't think Aperture is going to create new folders and start shifting your Masters from one to another.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 10, 2012 07:29PM
I just tried all of that but without the folders (using just two test projects, not projects with folders inside them) --- and it worked as expected. Don't know why it should matter but you might try getting them out of the folders first. When I selected the images in one project and chose "New ... project" the checkmark was to move the images, which it did.

And ... which version are you using?

Edit: vision63 makes a good point. I don't reference my masters, maybe that's why it works as expected.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2012 07:30PM by deckeda.
Date: January 10, 2012 09:14PM
I don't even know how to reference masters. I just dragged a bunch of images into Aperture. That created some albums floating out in the project as well as folders containing multiple albums. They were all imported into ONE big project. I then decided to break that up into TWO smaller projects. So i created a new project and just dragged all the stuff I wanted to move into the new one.

For example, this is how it is now. Family is the Project and Toni is an album in that project. Ok?

So create new Project called Friends. I drag the album called Toni into Friends. Now the album Toni resides under the project Friends in the hierarchy. When I click on the Friends project, I can see all the images from the album Toni in the browser. However. When I click on Family I can see them too. So if I view the browser as a list, I can see the Project Path. Which is still Family.

Using the latest version btw. On 10.6.8.

Edit: I take SOME of that back. If I click on the new Project that I just dragged a dozen albums to plus a dozen folders containing more albums, NOTHING shows in the browser. If I click on the individual folders and albums I see the pics. But they don't show in the Project b/c they are still associated with the OTHER project! I am sitting here looking at all my stuff in the sidebar in Aperture and half of it is not where it says that it is. This is REALLY frustrating.

Edit 2: Ah-ha. I see now. You cannot use the sidebar to manage jack squat I guess. You can move all your folders and projects around all you want and it does nothing. You have to drag the image from the browser and drop them into the new Project. Of course that's absolutely retarded b/c now I have to recreate the entire structure that existed in the other project in the new project b/c Aperture is too dumb to do it for me.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2012 09:24PM by bazookaman.
Posted by: DP
Date: January 10, 2012 09:38PM
>dumbassery

Made me chuckle...
Posted by: MEG
Date: January 10, 2012 09:46PM
Things are done a little differently in Aperture.

First, a photo can exist only in 1 project. Albums and folders are organizational aids for grouping/viewing things. They don't "belong" to a particular project and even though you can add photos to them, the photos really are located in the project. So even though you moved the folders "inside" the project, the photo is still in the original project. I.e., if you want to move a picture from your Family project to the Friend project, you are going to have to drag the picture from one project to another. Moving the album just changes where the album appears in the left column, not what project the pictures inside are associated with. Clear? smiling smiley

EDIT - Apple used to have tutorials on the organization relationships between projects/albums/folders for earlier versions of Aperture but I don't see on the Aperture 3 page. Just be thankful you don't have to know the difference between yellow and blue folders anymore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2012 09:49PM by MEG.
Posted by: vision63
Date: January 10, 2012 09:49PM
There ya go.
Date: January 11, 2012 04:47AM
MEG
First, a photo can exist only in 1 project. Albums and folders are organizational aids for grouping/viewing things. They don't "belong" to a particular project and even though you can add photos to them, the photos really are located in the project. So even though you moved the folders "inside" the project, the photo is still in the original project. I.e., if you want to move a picture from your Family project to the Friend project, you are going to have to drag the picture from one project to another. Moving the album just changes where the album appears in the left column, not what project the pictures inside are associated with. Clear? smiling smiley

Yes. This is what I've discovered for myself. So this is essentially Apple deciding what the user is going to do before the user does it. In other words, this would be fine if I imported all my photos and had no existing folder structure in the Finder. Then I would be forced to move them about in Aperture. But I did have a structure. And Aperture ignores it. Well. Not really. It SHOWS you some kind of structure. But doesn't allow to affect that structure.

For example:

So in this screenshot you see my original Project (Family) that Aperture automatically created upon import. And the new Project (Friends) that I created. So I simply dragged the 2 folders (Amy & Stephen and April) plus the 2 albums (Sharon and Toni & Andrew) from Family to Friends. That is all. But the images do not actually move to Friends. The screenshot show that they are moved but the images to do reflect that movement. Other than actually launching the app, I cannot think of a more simple and straightforward task to do. And apparently I am doing it wrong. Why even bother to have that little sidebar if you cannot actually DO anything with it???

Posted by: btfc
Date: January 11, 2012 10:34PM
Referenced or managed library?

[www.macworld.com]
Date: January 12, 2012 08:57AM
I posted this question over at the Apple forums and got a solution. Not really what i was looking for. But it'll do. I made the mistake of assuming that I could do the most basic of tasks w/o first reading the manual. I was incorrect.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 97
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020