advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Can we drop the "Aircraft-Grade" aluminum BS?
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 12, 2012 03:22AM
I get it. You use a high-quality aluminum alloy to make your product.

Or maybe not. Is the aluminum foil that covers your hot entrée on the flight considered "Aircraft-Grade"?

Looking here, it seems that bicycles use a lot of the same Al alloys that aerospace uses. But no one ever advertises "Made from 'bicycle-grade' aluminum!"

Just a minor pet peeve!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Can we drop the "Aircraft-Grade" aluminum BS?
Posted by: guitarist
Date: January 12, 2012 04:04AM
Maybe this sort of puffery could extend to restaurant menus.

"Pork cutlets with military-grade apricot-lavender sauce, paired with asparagus, braised in weaponized balsamic vinegar and juniper berries..."
Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 12, 2012 07:08AM
and "Cut with Tactical Steak Knives"
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 12, 2012 07:09AM
what if i'm engaged in aircraft quality endeavors?

Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: January 12, 2012 07:24AM
I am waiting for aircraft grade BS.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: Grateful11
Date: January 12, 2012 07:43AM
This would also dependent on what field you worked in. I for one worked with metal since I was around 10
years of age. First in my Dad's sheetmetal shop and later in life in various Machine shops for almost 30 years.
I've worked with everything from thin galvanized sheetmetal to A36 hot rolled steel to Nitronic 50 Stainless Steel.
So yes to some people it matters, to most consumers most of this stuff is just a fancy name. The worst stuff I've
ever machined was Nitronic 50.

[www.hpalloy.com]

Grateful11
Posted by: gabester
Date: January 12, 2012 07:53AM
This bunch of BS is grade "A" for airplane?
I couldn't help myself.
g=
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 12, 2012 08:00AM
The NEW Macbook Pro ! Made of Used Beer Cans !

My real dislike is for "Surgical Stainless Steel ".

I've GOT some surgical stainless steel inside me. The crap they sell isn't that.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: January 12, 2012 08:24AM
Alcoa and Kaiser treat Boeing like crap. Boeing, accustomed to getting what they ask for, requested a price decrease on the aluminum that they use. The response was something along the lines of "who do you think you are, Annheuser Busch!?!"

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: comaplate
Date: January 12, 2012 08:29AM
mikebw

Cut with Mil-Spec Tactical Steak Knives
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: January 12, 2012 08:30AM

I am not Ryan Seacrest, and I do not approve this message.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: January 12, 2012 09:08AM
Coma,

Mil spec? Mil spec doesn't equate the highest quality. An item will pass as long as it is produced to the mil spec even if it does so by the smallest of margins. Think of the mil spec as the minimum standard and an item will pass as long as it meets that minimum standard. The item doesn't have to exceed it. An item that is produced to mil spec by one manufacturer can be of a noticeably higher quality than the same item made to the same spec by a different manufacturer. And, like Grateful, "aircraft-grade" means different things to different people. Very much so. Just as people tend to think of mil-spec as great quality, which is unfortunately not necessarily the case.

Robert
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: January 12, 2012 09:13AM
I only use anti-aircraft grade tips on my armor piercing incendiary rounds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2012 09:20AM by Jimmypoo.
Posted by: decay
Date: January 12, 2012 09:15AM
Grumman canoe grade alyuminium

---
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: January 12, 2012 09:19AM
Why would anyone having to meet MIL spec go beyond MIL spec? The spec is created to meet an objective, not some abstract measure of perfection.

Why did IBM make the G5/970 a "lesser" Power chip? For starters, it had to meet a different objective. And as it turned out, by thinning the lith the gates actually operated faster than its big brother. But that also meant that it couldn't hold out for 20+ years like those systems often do in schools, etc., at full power, 24/7. To counter that possibility, Apple used active cooling.

So was that APPL Spec?

Robert M
Coma,

Mil spec? Mil spec doesn't equate the highest quality. An item will pass as long as it is produced to the mil spec even if it does so by the smallest of margins. Think of the mil spec as the minimum standard and an item will pass as long as it meets that minimum standard. The item doesn't have to exceed it. An item that is produced to mil spec by one manufacturer can be of a noticeably higher quality than the same item made to the same spec by a different manufacturer. And, like Grateful, "aircraft-grade" means different things to different people. Very much so. Just as people tend to think of mil-spec as great quality, which is unfortunately not necessarily the case.

Robert

Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: January 12, 2012 09:21AM
Technically speaking (and I know the average consumer doesn't look at it like this), all "aircraft grade" means is that the material properties of that metal is defined to a specific level of certainty (usually via some sort of formal specification).

It doesn't imply that "aircraft grade" is any stronger. I particularly crack up when I hear of 6061 aluminum alloy (an alloy is a mixture which has additional elements added to the base metal to affect material properties) being described as "aircraft grade". It is in fact aircraft grade, but is only about half as strong as most other aircraft grade alloys of aluminum (6061 is popular because it's easy to weld when compared to most other aluminum alloys).
Date: January 12, 2012 09:29AM
Jimmy,

Simple. Because you can meet mil-pec with a piece of garbage. A reputable manufacturer will make an item to mil-spec but also ensure that it is a quality unit. For example. Imagine Company A makes a widget to mil-spec Z. The widget has a sharp edge that isn't supposed to be there but is not accounted for in the spec. It can potentially cut anyone using it. However, the widget still meets the spec, despite the problem. So, it is deemed acceptable. Company B produces the same widget. It meets the same spec and sells it for the same price. The widget produced by Company B does not have the sharp edge. They take quality control more seriously and finish the widget properly. That's the difference and why it's important to understand that mil-spec isn't the be all and end all of quality and why a reputable manufacturer will "exceed" it if necessary.

Robert

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2012 09:31AM by Robert M.
Posted by: davester
Date: January 12, 2012 10:09AM
mikebw

You forgot "...and wrapped in thin layers of tactical bacon".

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: GGD
Date: January 12, 2012 10:22AM
"Can we drop the "Aircraft-Grade" aluminum BS?"

BS made from "Aircraft-Grade" aluminum? What target do you plan to drop it on? Will there be video?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 12, 2012 10:33AM
MIL = Mother-In-Law

Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 12, 2012 10:38AM
davester
mikebw

You forgot "...and wrapped in thin layers of tactical bacon".

Tactical Kosher Bacon.
Posted by: pqrst
Date: January 12, 2012 10:56AM
I'm thinking about the use of the phrase "contractor grade" when it applies to installed appliances in a subdivision.
Posted by: GGD
Date: January 12, 2012 11:18AM
pqrst
I'm thinking about the use of the phrase "contractor grade" when it applies to installed appliances in a subdivision.

I've never been quite sure what to make of that term, is it supposed to be impressive, or an indication of the cheapest possible crap at a volume discount.
Date: January 12, 2012 12:09PM
GGD,

I feel the same way about it. For example, Home Depot sells "Contractor Grade" trash bags. But, rather than buy based on a name that is meaningless, I look at the actual specs of the bags. For example, Home Depot sells 42 gallon Husky Contractor Clean Up bags aka 42 gallon trash bags. 3 mil thickness. 32 qty for $14.97. They also sell Ultrasac Contractor Bags 3 mil thickness. 50 bags for $23.37. And, they also sell Ultrasac 4 Mil Contractor bags 32 qty for $19.98. They also sell Demobags 42-Gallon Contractor Clean-up Bags. 6 mil thickness. $24.97 for 20 qty. If you search, you'll find some of 3 mil models called heavy weight bags. So, what does contractor grade mean? In many cases, absolutely nothing.

Robert
Posted by: davester
Date: January 12, 2012 01:30PM
GGD
pqrst

I've never been quite sure what to make of that term, is it supposed to be impressive, or an indication of the cheapest possible crap at a volume discount.

It's the latter. "Contractor grade" always means cheap crappy appliances that don't have the basic features of stuff you'd buy in a regular appliance store.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 12, 2012 01:34PM
davester
GGD
pqrst

It's the latter. "Contractor grade" always means cheap crappy appliances that don't have the basic features of stuff you'd buy in a regular appliance store.

Contractor Grade means it fills the hole.
Date: January 12, 2012 02:21PM
Davester,

Very true when it comes to appliances. Typically, a contractor grade appliance is a basic barebones piece of garbage thrown in just to provide functionality.

Robert
Posted by: edgarbc1
Date: January 12, 2012 05:08PM
when it becomes aircraft grade Titanium, then ill be impressed...
Posted by: Mac-A-Matic
Date: January 12, 2012 11:28PM
mattkime
MIL = Mother-In-Law

According to her, I'm NOT "MIL-spec"!!!!

Aircraft Grade aluminum is any aluminum that's actually used in an aircraft. Therefore, "aircraft grade."

Kind of like the old "Broadcast Quality" - hell, if it came out of a consumer camcorder and was worthy enough of being broadcast, it is of "broadcast quality." Just look at all the footage being shown from the Middle East off of camera phones, or reruns of America's Funniest Home Videos.

It's all in the marketing, baby.
Posted by: billb
Date: January 13, 2012 06:06AM
Stop the world> Someone with a minor pet peeve wants to get off.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 13, 2012 07:01AM
Racer X
Contractor Grade means it fills the hole.

Ron Jeremy was contractor grade.
Much ado.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 13, 2012 12:35PM
Besides, I prefer Fairchild bathtub grade titanium.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 387
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020