Date: January 17, 2012 11:37AM
Priceline or Hotwire.

DM
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: last-minute hotel deals. in NYC.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: January 17, 2012 11:47AM
MrBig,

As much as I like the idea of priceline.com or a similar site, in NYC, you really want to know exactly which hotel you're going to be in at the time of reservation. Some areas of the city are quite bad and some of the hotels, regardless of area in NYC, can also be quite bad.

The other issue is cost. As crazy as it sounds, a room in a reasonably good hotel in a better part of the city can cost the same price as a room in a crappy hotel in a crappy part of the city. This happened to friends visiting Manhattan. It made for a somewhat unpleasant stay.

Another crazy thing... Livingsocial.com and similar sites often have special deals for nights in Manhattan in a nice hotel for seriously low pricing (for that kind of hotel). Take a looksie. You might get lucky and find a hotel deal at just the right time. smiling smiley

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2012 11:49AM by Robert M.
Posted by: 3d
Date: January 17, 2012 11:57AM
Try this place.
[applecorehotels.com]

32nd Street. aka "Koreatown".
Central location. Close to all public transportation. Surrounded by cheap tasty asian food. And super safe.

$125-ish a night.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: January 17, 2012 12:04PM
MrB,

Almost forgot... If you use orbitz.com or a similar site, check for discount codes. My wife and I saved a few bucks with a code for orbitz when we took a "weekend" in Manhattan. We hopped the train in from Long Island, stayed Friday and Saturday and came home Sunday. Worked out nicely. smiling smiley

Robert
Posted by: abevilac
Date: January 17, 2012 12:11PM
Have you tried airbnb.com ??? We've used it a couple of times and it worked out well - haven't tried it in NYC though...
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 17, 2012 01:00PM
have not tried airbnb, but would give it a shot. my past hotel experiences seem to confirm what Robert said with regard to price and quality, however. at this point, I'm tempted to stick with a name place. price is important but not the only factor, so I'm willing to put the Benjamins down.
Posted by: Joseph C.
Date: January 17, 2012 01:42PM
Be careful. The other night I was in the Times Square area and got into a conversation a family visiting from the midwest. They were lost an trying to find there way back to a remote part of outer Queens (15 or so miles from Times Square) I helped them to navigate the trains back out their hotel. They said got their great "deal" on Priceline.

There are now hotels located throughout NYC in industrial/ semi-residential neighborhoods. Not bad hotels but VERY remote from most parts of Manhattan.
Date: January 17, 2012 01:46PM
Joseph C.
Be careful. The other night I was in the Times Square area and got into a conversation a family visiting from the midwest. They were lost an trying to find there way back to a remote part of outer Queens (15 or so miles from Times Square) I helped them to navigate the trains back out their hotel. They said got their great "deal" on Priceline.

There are now hotels located throughout NYC in industrial/ semi-residential neighborhoods. Not bad hotels but VERY remote from most parts of Manhattan.

were those the Griswolds? winking smiley
thanks but I'm pretty familiar with the main neighborhoods in the boroughs. plus, who the hell doesn't use Google Maps to check a location?
Posted by: Joseph C.
Date: January 17, 2012 01:53PM
were those the Griswolds? winking smiley
Not even close! Nice people, bad hotel.

Did you look in Soho? There are some very nice hotels in the area.
Date: January 17, 2012 02:00PM
Check back with us once you've gone a little further in your searching. Sometimes there are intangibles that are not readily obvious with certain locations.

Is there an "outreach clinic" nearby?
Major construction?
Noisy bars?
Date: January 17, 2012 02:01PM
I'm really trying to stay close to Central Park but... all depends on the 'hood.
Date: January 17, 2012 02:03PM
What price and locations have you found so far?
Date: January 17, 2012 03:00PM
prices are... all over the place. I don't know what to trust. I'm looking to keep it under $300 per night. I'd normally look for half that, but because I want the advantage of being close to CP, I'm willing to pay more. also, have a couple of little ones in tow, so the extra space of a bigger room is important.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 17, 2012 04:57PM
....Pod Hotel in midtown....??

....the lower rooms you have to share bathroom but you can pay for private bathroom....

I said POD Hotel not iPod Hotel.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mrthuse
Date: January 17, 2012 07:50PM
If you've got a smart phone: [www.hoteltonight.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 56
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020