Posted by: flareslow
Date: January 25, 2012 11:12AM

IEC/NEMA Power Cord
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What to do with all those computer power cords
Posted by: Robert M
Date: January 25, 2012 11:24AM
Flare,

I thought this was a serious posts. As ridiculous as it may sound, I had to actually buy an old style power cable for a laserjet printer because I couldn't find the original. Very annoying. I was astonished I didn't have a single old style power cable in my box 'o cables.

Robert
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 25, 2012 11:31AM
That kind of power cord is going to destroy the Great American Family.. of power cords. There otta be a law !
Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 25, 2012 11:31AM
I'll have to keep that in mind next time I need a short, single extension cable. Since I seem to have God's Own Collection of IEC power cords.
Posted by: Ironhorse
Date: January 25, 2012 11:33AM
I had always wanted to invent this adapter, but never got around to it. I am ordering 3.
Posted by: davester
Date: January 25, 2012 11:41AM
Ironhorse
I had always wanted to invent this adapter, but never got around to it. I am ordering 3.

Wouldn't it be just as cheap to just order a short extension cord?

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 25, 2012 12:17PM
Maybe there are $4 short extension cords available locally but I don't recall seeing any. Now, what you could do to save money is buy an receptical-end locally and just cut off the IEC part and make it an extension that way.
Posted by: flareslow
Date: January 25, 2012 12:34PM
Deck,

I agree, but then if I needed the computer cord for a computer or peripheral device, I wouldn't have it. Those receptacle ends aren't cheap either.
Posted by: testcase
Date: January 25, 2012 01:46PM
How much room can a medium size cardboard box take up? Thats really all you need to store away a couple of dozen old cords from the many devices we all seem to accumulate. When the need for a cord arises, check the box first. Last year, I started putting cords & wall warts in zip lock bags with an index card as to the specs / source of said cord. A simple, inexpensive, non-technical step that has made managing all those loose cords much easier.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: January 25, 2012 03:04PM
Test,

Exactly. 'course, in my case, I never have the cord or cable that I need when I need it and always find it after I've bought a replacement or am searching for a completely different cord or cable. That's how I ended up buying a power cable. 'course, today, while looking for an ethernet cable, I found a spare power cord, the one I'd been looking for previously. Grrrrrr!

Robert
Posted by: Psurfer
Date: January 25, 2012 04:32PM
Put em all togedda, for 1 dragon-length 240 footer.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: January 25, 2012 09:13PM
davester
Ironhorse

Wouldn't it be just as cheap to just order a short extension cord?

4' $13
[www.amazon.com]

6' $6
[www.amazon.com]

Grateful11
Posted by: davester
Date: January 26, 2012 02:11PM
testcase
How much room can a medium size cardboard box take up? Thats really all you need to store away a couple of dozen old cords from the many devices we all seem to accumulate. When the need for a cord arises, check the box first. Last year, I started putting cords & wall warts in zip lock bags with an index card as to the specs / source of said cord. A simple, inexpensive, non-technical step that has made managing all those loose cords much easier.

That's exactly my solution too. However, when I packed up all my cords I found that I have a gazillion of those power cables and also USB printer cords, and almost zero firewire cables (that I use all the time).

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 200
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020