advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Can Paralells & Bootcamp Coexist?
Posted by: Stavs
Date: July 10, 2006 04:42PM
I'm getting ready to mess with Windows XP on my MBP and wanted to see if anyone knew if I can run both Paralells and Bootcamp on my machine. Obviously I can do both, but do I have to have a seperate install of XP for both, or can I run Paralells off the Bootcamp partition install? Hopefully this makes sense.

Stavs
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Can Paralells & Bootcamp Coexist?
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: July 10, 2006 04:52PM
They can coexist. You have to have 2 seperate installs and 2 difference licenses. If you try and use the same license you will have to keep reauthorizing the machinee with Microsoft because it thinks it changes.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: July 10, 2006 04:57PM
Thats not fun....hmmm....what about with a corporate version that doesnt phone home?
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: July 10, 2006 05:02PM
It phones home, but it uses the speakers in your mac to generate a 5Hz wave, to penetrate the earth, and eventually it reaches MS, and then it sends a message back, and you get the BSOD for the illegitimate copy.
Date: July 10, 2006 05:03PM
Always here to poo poo on my parade James!
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: July 10, 2006 05:08PM
Just don't keep your MBP near subs. If they pick up the "KILL" signal, they might launch.

I'd hate to start global thermonuclear war just because you won't buy 2 copies of WinDuds. ProE? That, I could understand....
Date: July 10, 2006 05:10PM
Thats ok...I have the WMDs in the backyard ready to be deployed at the first sign og Gates or Balmer.

Posted by: chas_m
Date: July 10, 2006 06:16PM
lol

serious answer tho: yes they can coexist, as long you either have two licenses OR a version that doesn't phone home (aren't you glad Mac OS X doesn't do this??).

We had to order a corp edition WinXP for our shop so that we could show customers XP running on Intel Macs. You HAD to know it how it stuck in our craw to be spending money on WINDOWS!!!

chas_m

[crawlingfromtheusa.blogspot.com] <-- Moving to Canada blog
Date: July 10, 2006 06:23PM
Chas-whats your experience with XP on the Macs? Have you done both bootcamp and paralells?

Stavs
Posted by: chas_m
Date: July 10, 2006 07:29PM
Yep. We demo it all the time in-store.

Bootcamp is amazing and painful. It turns your Mac into a full-blown, Core Duo PC. Great for PC needs, depressing as hell for Mac users. smiling smiley

The biggest plus: it's free. The biggest minus: rebooting and very limited interoperability.

Parallels is a better solution for most people, since we do not want to reboot the machine every time we need something in the Win world. It's nice also that you can run versions OTHER than XP SP2. Or Linuxes. Linni? You know what I mean.

The biggest plus: cheap ($50 right now) and runs other OSes. Biggest minus: still a little buggy on video, no true 3D card support (no hard-core gaming, basically).

Presently on Parallels we have XP SP2, Win 98 and Ubuntu available for demo.

I'm just now playing with Crossover (yes, a THIRD option), which has the most promise (since it doesn't require Windows AT ALL to run Win programs), but which is also, at present, the most limited. Biggest plus: currently free (it's in ALPHA, will be $80 when released), runs Win programs without having to buy/run Windows! Biggest minuses: runs only a limited subset of Win programs, alpha-testing is impossible to get into now, VERY tricky to install (I've gotten in working on one of my machines, but nothing I do will get it to work on the MacBook).

I've only just heard of iEmulator (yes, a FOURTH option!) but haven't checked it out at all.

chas_m

[crawlingfromtheusa.blogspot.com] <-- Moving to Canada blog
Posted by: microchip13
Date: July 10, 2006 07:32PM
DarWine.

Just give it a year or so and it'll be big.

Just because it has two clutches, shifts faster, uses a torque converter or has near-infinite gear ratios, requires less driver intervention and is more efficient doesn't make it better in my opinion.
Save The Manual Transmission
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: July 10, 2006 08:13PM
Would love to have something VMWARE as well.
I would get a big ol' honkin' Intel XServe with 16GB of RAM, running Leopard Server AND a bunch of virtual *nix servers, all in my company's colo cage.
That would be awesome.

I am not Ryan Seacrest, and I do not approve this message.
Date: July 10, 2006 09:05PM
Well...I went the bootcamp route and I am writing this in IE on XP. Its weird...very weird. I have 0 apps so far, so we'll see how this goes. Install was smooth....I may install Diablo II tonight and see how she runs.

Stavs
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: July 11, 2006 12:32PM
BootCamp is still Beta.

It'll be better than as-is now.

Date: July 12, 2006 09:50AM
Just an update. I have both Boot Camp and Paralells running on the MBP. Both initial installs of XP Pro (BC and Para)were problematic. Th Recycle Bin didnt appear, so I ended up reinstalling and everything is fine. I have found that I have a need for both BC and Para since a lot of the stuff from work requires IE on a PC (which Paralells is great for) and then for my gaming and Home Design software I can use BootCamp. The hard part is trying to figure out what apps I really need on the PC. Right now its an open slate with nothing on there except for Firefox, IE, and FreeZip. Speed of Paralells is really impressive. I think I'm going to keep it pretty lean as far as installing stuff...just use it for what I really need and use the fiances win laptop for experiments smiling smiley

Stavs
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 113
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020