advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Road Bike seat recommendations?
Posted by: blusubaru
Date: July 11, 2006 06:59AM
Got on a road bike for the first time ever yesterday and rode 16 miles in two hours. Not lightning fast, but average. My butt is paying the price today. It's an old Raleigh bike that zips along, so I'd hate to add a seat that looks like it belongs on a grandma's bike. It's been a while since I tried out the gel slip on covers, but from my memory they don't do well on long rides (constantly shifting around, etc.).

I've been looking at this one on eBay, but it is a bit on the large size:

[cgi.ebay.com]

Are there others I should look into?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2006 07:03AM by blusubaru.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Road Bike seat recommendations?
Posted by: mick e
Date: July 11, 2006 07:05AM
Here's the thing. It hurts like a bitch, but you need to suffer some pain for a little while before you get your riding ass. Your butt needs to get used to riding, plain and simple. What your are experiencing now is basically soreness of muscles that are not used to being used.

Once your sit bones get used to being sat on, you should have no pain. If the bike has a decent lightweight seat, odds are - you'll be able to use it. You need to commit to riding frequently in order to become truly comfortable, though.

You *could* get one of those MILF seats and avoid the pain, but the cushy ones aren't really efficient to use in the long run. If you are planning on doing any performance riding or getting serious about it, a lightweight seat is worth the adjustment period.

Unpaid Social Liaison

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2006 07:08AM by mick e.
Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: July 11, 2006 07:10AM
Is your wife complaining about your love handles...ALREADY!! smiling smiley
Do the monon trail. Nice, flat, bridges, etc.

Date: July 11, 2006 07:14AM
I rode a mountain bike for the last five years, not too serious, 20 miles or so a week with an occasional 24 mile ride. I didn't have a real fancy seat on that but didn't have pain either. This pain is different from what I've ever experienced on a bike. It's an old, hard, narrow seat. Although I suppose it could also be getting used to riding without suspension.
Date: July 11, 2006 07:15AM
I did do the Monon! Rode from our st (75th) downtown to where the wife works on New Jersey. It's a great ride. And no, no lovehandles on me. smiling smiley
Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: July 11, 2006 07:19AM
I hate bike seats, too. I do not/ cannot develop callouses. Worked in a foundry, lifting weights, playing 10 hours of basketball or tennis....never getting callouses on my hands or feet. I for one would not get a toughened hind end. smiling smiley

Date: July 11, 2006 07:19AM
Can you take the seat off your mtb and put it on the Raliegh? Or find one like it?

Sometimes it's just about finding one that your butt likes.

Unpaid Social Liaison
Posted by: grad
Date: July 11, 2006 07:20AM
For a road bike, you should go to a bike shop, talk with the people there, and get a proper ergonomic bike seat.

It will save your butt, your tail bone, and other testicular functions.
Date: July 11, 2006 07:22AM
If it is one of those Brooks leather seats, you will need to ride on it for about a year before it gets comfortable. Most people aren't willing to commit to that masochistic approach. mick e is a martyr though.

Unpaid Social Liaison
Date: July 11, 2006 07:23AM
mick, nope rode it to shreds, it's gone.
grad, that's another concern that I'm finding while researching seats, future kids! I'll head back to the bike garage sometime this week. I got my camelback there on Saturday.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: July 11, 2006 07:29AM
This might be of interest and help you with your decision: [www.jimlangley.net]
Posted by: Spiff
Date: July 11, 2006 07:37AM
I agree with going to a local bike shop and finding an ergonomic seat. As well, it will take time to break into the road bike position. It is way different than mountain biking. Road riding puts you stretching further forward. That rotates your hips and changes the pressure points.

I myself use a Terry Fly and find it a good seat. However, that's me. Others like the specialized seats, etc. As mick says, no pain, no gain =). However, there should be a minimum of numbness.
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: July 11, 2006 08:12AM
I ride my bike a lot of miles.

It hurts like hell.

For $25 bucks from a sporting goods store, I got a gel-seat with shocks and a gel-pad. The pad shifted a bit at first, but not after I secured it using cable ties to keep tension on the pull-string.

My butt still hurts after around 10 miles or so of riding.

But my recovery time is less. I don't walk bow-legged for a day after a bike ride anymore.

I've heard that inflatable pads work better than gel-seats, but the ones that I see in the store all look like those hemorrhoid-cushions and I really don't want to go there.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: July 11, 2006 08:15AM
At the beginning of the season it always takes me about 2 rides to get my bike butt back. I just did a 30 mile ride on Sunday and have no ill effects. Lots of flat tires though. Guys on the east coast have no idea how easy they have it...

This picture really doesn't do it justice, but the thorn on the right side is evil. When it dries out it is hard as rock and has spikes between 5-15mm long that will pierce just about anything...bike tires, sandals, running shoes, car tires, hooves, dog's feet (ouch!)

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread...

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Tofer
Date: July 11, 2006 08:34AM
I agree with all the posts saying "you'll have to deal with the pain until you get your bike butt." However, do you have a good pair of bike shorts (padded)? They make a difference, I've found. I'm preparing for my second triathlon this weekend, and at this point my butt doesn't hurt after a ride at all. Sometimes, during a ride, at about mile 15 or so and after a lot of hills, my butt starts to ache, but I just stand up for ten or fifteen seconds to stretch and then its fine for the rest of the ride.

-Tofer
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 11, 2006 10:45AM
A couple of years ago I worked up to about 22 miles a day, 4x a week. It took about three weeks before I started to get comfortable. Even with one of the cushiest roadbike seats from the local bike store and padded shorts I still had numbness occasionally. I started standing up on the pedals 1 minute out of every five (watching the bike computer) and it decreased quite a bit.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: h'
Date: July 11, 2006 11:20AM
Gel and padding could have the opposite effect and cause you more discomfort. Depending on your particular body, a narrow, smooth saddle may be the best and most comfortable fit.
Buying a seat off eBay based on appearance is goingto get expensive . . .
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 11, 2006 12:21PM
Wow, I thought i might be in the market for a new bike seat until I read this. My bike seat is a bit uncomfortable while I'm _ON_ the seat but as soon as i get off all pain goes away.

maybe i'll stick with what i have

Date: July 11, 2006 12:51PM
Hmm, no I don't have padded shorts, will look into that too. Man, looks like I'll be spending a bit! Good thing the bike was free (even if it is only worth $100). Shorts, seat, helmet, gloves... It's a great workout though, and so much easier than running/jogging.
Date: July 11, 2006 01:21PM
blusubaru
It's a great workout though, and so much easier than running/jogging.

This wins for most ironic statement of the day! smiling smiley

-Tofer
Date: July 11, 2006 01:24PM
What? Low impact, easier on the knees. Am I wrong?
Date: July 11, 2006 01:30PM
blusubaru
What? Low impact, easier on the knees. Am I wrong?

No, no -- you're absolutely right, except that it's funny when you say "it was a great workout" and "but so much easier" in the same sentence. You do, however, generally have to bike for a longer time to get the same workout as you would running for a shorter time (i.e., if you might run for half an hour, you're going to have to bike for an hour to get a similar workout). That all depends, of course, on what the terrain is (lots of hills will give you a workout really fast on a bike), and what your heart rate and pedal rpms are, etc. The world of biking fitness is crazy in terms of how to get the best workout (as I'm finding out).

-Tofer
Posted by: Sam3
Date: July 11, 2006 07:23PM
Order of importance... bike helmet, padded shorts, everything else (seat, hydration system, gloves, jersey, pedals, suspension.)

I'm finally getting back into riding after 6 years of no riding. Starting small. Oh, it feels good, though!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 105
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020