Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
One Cable Box Two TVs?
Posted by: Joseph C.
Date: February 03, 2012 09:41AM
Hi All
I want to downsize and get rid of a second cable box for the TV in my bedroom. All I want to do is watch the DVR/Cable box in my living room remotely on a second TV.

I had limited success Eye TV/ two macs. My cable provider Time Warner blocks the HD signal.

One solution seems to be:
[www.actiontec.com].
I'm concerned with the audio problems users are reporting in the reviews on Amazon.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Joe
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: One Cable Box Two TVs?
Posted by: mikebw
Date: February 03, 2012 10:40AM
You could run a long HDMI cable and use an IR-remote extender device to control it.

How far away are the two devices?
Date: February 03, 2012 11:04AM

How far away are the two devices?
The two TV s are on different floors about 100 feet apart
Posted by: Wailer
Date: February 03, 2012 11:13AM
100' is expensive if you want to maintain HD quality via HDMI. They have HDMI over ethernet but that's pricey and doesn't seem terribly reliable. I'm sure it'll come down in price but right now it seems like it's a hassle.

If it's under $10 a month for a 2nd HD box it probably isn't worth it to ditch it. Besides, there may be times when you have guests and you want to watch TV in the bedroom when they are watching in the living room or you can move the box to another room.

I'd try the following:

- Plea to the cable company or look for a used box that you own. Go without HD in the bedroom?
- If you don't watch live TV in the bedroom, then try a networked HTPC.
- Sell your bedroom TV and watch stuff on your notebook or smartphone or, better, read. Even better, sleep!
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: February 03, 2012 11:58AM
We have 2 TVs connected to one Time-Warner HD DVR box. Naturally
both TVs have to watch the same channel but it does work. One is on
HDMI and the other on Composite I believe. Both TVs are in the same room.

Grateful11

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2012 12:00PM by Grateful11.
Posted by: StingMe
Date: February 03, 2012 12:59PM
Do you really need HD for the secondary TV? I'd just run coax from the DVR to the basement/crawlspace/attic (wherever your cable runs are) and connect to the cable that already feeds your bedroom. If you want to control the box, just get an inexpensive RF remote solution, like the one below. I bought a couple of these a few years ago (think I have an extra packed away) and used them with Time Warner boxes in the setup described above (actually fed 3 TVs from one box). Worked great. YMMV if your walls are made of steel or something :-)

[www.amazon.com]
Posted by: Rolando
Date: February 04, 2012 08:13AM
Some cable companies are providing "whole house" dvr, all the the boxes are networked. That would be enough reason for me to keep a 2nd box. Then again, we cut the cable years ago. Rely on Netflix/Roku.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: February 04, 2012 11:53AM
Thanks everyone for the help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 56
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020