advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
TiVo 30 second skip button
Posted by: jimbrady
Date: July 11, 2006 02:08PM
It's the button with a rightward-pointing arrow that points at a vertical bar like this:
–>|

To enable it:

1. Play any recording
2. Press "Select"-Play-"Select"-3-0-"Select"
3. You'll hear 3 dings

That's it. Might be unique to system 7.2.2x (?)

Tip courtesy of WeaKnees.com

If this is a re-post, get over it (if I missed the tip, a lot of others did also)

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: TiVo 30 second skip button
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: July 11, 2006 02:14PM
That's how XP MCE does it.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 11, 2006 02:15PM
thank you for the tip.

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Sam Cowan
Date: July 11, 2006 02:18PM
Heh, I just got that tip from WeaKnees with a cable I ordered. Sadly, my TiVo (Toshiba SD-400 with DVD player) does not seem to have that button on the remote. I enabled the feature and heard the three dings, but none of my buttons looks like that or now behaves like that.

Ah well, at least TiVo works with my new digital cable set up. Last house had satellite, so I had to redo the whole thing.
Posted by: Frank
Date: July 11, 2006 02:30PM
I've been using this for a long time...works great. FYI not all machines give the three dings. Also, when you lose power this button will revert to its default and will need to be reprogrammed.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: July 11, 2006 02:32PM
You will need to re-enter the hack if you lose power to the Tivo.

Sam Cowan
Sadly, my TiVo (Toshiba SD-400 with DVD player) does not seem to have that button on the remote

That's weird. Do you have the standard peanut remote? It's normally the "skip to" button that skips to the next marker in the recording.
Posted by: jimbrady
Date: July 11, 2006 02:50PM
> I've been using this for a long time...works great.

Thanks for telling us! But seriously, I'm surprised this has been around and under the radar, as the lack of a commercial skip capability was one of the main knocks against TiVo when I was researching it several months ago.

Did older TiVos or ReplayTVs have a button that skipped the entire commercial break regardless of its duration?

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 11, 2006 03:03PM
jimbrady
> Did older TiVos or ReplayTVs have a button that skipped the entire commercial break regardless of its duration?

I believe the Replaytvs 50xx models have the Commercial Skip and Commercial Advance feature, 5040 for sure since that is what I have.

It skips the entire commercial, not always accurate but 99% accurate. . .

It has a manual Commercial Skip button that you press once to skip and a Commercial Advance feature that you can turn "on or off" to skip ALL commericals (can only be used for delayed programs or recorded programs).

Mostly causes problems on certain cable stations that use the "empty spaces" more frequently. . .

It really is a GREAT feature. . .record shows. . .

. . .then just turn on the Commercial Advance and it skips the commercial automatically as you are watching the recording. ..so you don't have to keep hitting the Commercial Skip button. ..

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2006 03:46PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: July 11, 2006 03:16PM
jimbrady
But seriously, I'm surprised this has been around and under the radar, as the lack of a commercial skip capability was one of the main knocks against TiVo when I was researching it several months ago.

Did older TiVos or ReplayTVs have a button that skipped the entire commercial break regardless of its duration?

Tivo never had the commercial skip feature. I find the tripple FF easier than the 30 sec skip for commercials anyway. The 30 second skip is useful, though; many shows have 30 second intros (e.g The Colbert Report) and one press skips thru the intro.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: July 11, 2006 03:43PM
I LOVE the 30 second skip...
Press it 5-6-7 times, and you're through the commercial break..
If you went too far, a couple hits of the "8 seconds back" button brings you to the right spot.

I was willing to sit through 2 minute commercial breaks...
Even 3 minutes..
4 minutes was getting a bit much...
But now when I have to hit 30 second skip *TEN TIMES* to get through a commercial break, that's ridiculous!

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: July 11, 2006 06:22PM
If you remove and hack a Tivo's hard drive, you can make the 30-second skip permanent.... but the first part of that is not easy.
Posted by: New.Dad
Date: July 11, 2006 08:02PM
OT: my Panasonic DVD-Hard Drive recorder has a 1 minute skip button, I press it 4-5 times to skip over commercials. It lacks an "8 second review" button though. But then I don't pay a monthly fee either smiling smiley
Posted by: davester
Date: July 11, 2006 09:11PM
The ReplayTV auto skip version works so well that when it fails (infrequently) and a commercial actually plays, I am shocked (and quickly press the skip button which jumps to the next segment). Nothing comes close to the ReplayTV's features in regards to navigating within a show or past commercials..

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 204
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020