advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Electrical code question: Can I use Two-Screw Terminal Strips instead of those yellow cones?
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 17, 2012 09:40AM
Eurostyle® Two-Screw Terminal Strips

[www.usinenouvelle.com]

I am replacing a light fixture and found the wires connected with 2 yellow plastic cones with a spiral inside. One spiral came off. I wonder if it's safe to use Two-Screw Terminal Strip to connect the wires instead of these yellow cones. It this safe, does it conform to code?

The Two-Screw Terminal Strips I have look exactly like in the link above

another image

[www.alibaba.com]

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2012 09:46AM by space-time.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Electric question: Can I use Two-Screw Terminal Strips instead of those yellow cones?
Posted by: freeradical
Date: February 17, 2012 09:43AM
Thats sounds like a question for the National Electrical Code.
Re: Electric question: Can I use Two-Screw Terminal Strips instead of those yellow cones?
Posted by: billb
Date: February 17, 2012 09:53AM
Why not just put the spiral back on ?

They usually fall off because they weren't tight enough to begin with or the wires were stripped too short.

Solid conductor wire can wiggle out of those, too. Especially 14 and 12
even the good ones with tabs
Re: Electrical code question: Can I use Two-Screw Terminal Strips instead of those yellow cones?
Posted by: flareslow
Date: February 17, 2012 10:02AM
I've been looking to use these:

Compact Connectors

available here:

Newark

They meet code. A screw type terminal block would need to be mounted in the box or fixture.
Re: Electrical code question: Can I use Two-Screw Terminal Strips instead of those yellow cones?
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 17, 2012 10:07AM
Local code overrides the NEC, so asking this question here may not be the best way to proceed.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: February 17, 2012 10:17AM
Beware of counterfeit WAGO connectors...

Why not just use another wire nut instead?
Posted by: particleman
Date: February 17, 2012 10:18AM
FWIW, those cones are commonly referred to as wire nuts.
Date: February 17, 2012 10:26AM
N-OS X-tasy!
Local code overrides the NEC, so asking this question here may not be the best way to proceed.

interesting. Are local codes, in general, more strict or more relaxed than NEC?
Date: February 17, 2012 10:27AM
Bill in NC

Why not just use another wire nut instead?

I found one which I can use. I thought those screw terminal may be better
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 17, 2012 10:58AM
space-time
N-OS X-tasy!

interesting. Are local codes, in general, more strict or more relaxed than NEC?

Generally they are more strict. N-OS X-tasy is very, very, very correct. Always check your local code before doing electrical work.

And yeah.. just put another wire nut back on the sucker. Electricians are SUPPOSED to subject their connections to a calibrated 'pull test' using a spring gauge to ensure the wire connections are mechanically sound. I don't know any of them that do. Most (myself included) just give it a yank to see if it's tight.
Posted by: davester
Date: February 17, 2012 11:44AM
Those european connectors look interesting, but I don't see anything about them meeting NEC on the links, so I wouldn't use them. Just use the properly sized wire nut and install it properly this time (i.e. twist until it won't go any further and the wires don't pull out). If you're uncomfortable using wire nuts then you shouldn't be doing electrical work in the first place.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: February 17, 2012 11:52AM
davester
... If you're uncomfortable using wire nuts then you shouldn't be doing electrical work in the first place.

I think screw connection is more reliable than some cheapo plastic nut. Sure, if that's the code here in US I will use the wire nut...
Posted by: testcase
Date: February 17, 2012 12:21PM
Local codes can only be MORE strict than the NEC otherwise, you'd be in violation of the national code. When something went wrong, your insurance company would be off the hook as you were not in compliance with established code.

Don't cheap out here. Bad wiring can cause fires and, get people killed. Done right (to code) you'll be protected and, the job will last.

old fogey smiley
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: February 17, 2012 12:23PM
Get wire nuts with metal inserts and twist until wires entwine. You can also tape the nuts after twisting.
Posted by: billb
Date: February 17, 2012 12:54PM
testcase
Local codes can only be MORE strict than the NEC otherwise, you'd be in violation of the national code. When something went wrong, your insurance company would be off the hook as you were not in compliance with established code.

Don't cheap out here. Bad wiring can cause fires and, get people killed. Done right (to code) you'll be protected and, the job will last.

old fogey smiley
NEC is a standard , not a law.
Local and specific conditions can warrant changes which can even include rejection of sections as not applicable.
That's up to local governance, not some national code.
Date: February 17, 2012 01:36PM
testcase

old fogey smiley

yes, take it easy. I want to do it right, safe and to code. I didn't want to "cheap out". I was simply asking if those different connectors are safe and to code. relax
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: February 17, 2012 02:12PM
nwyaker
Get wire nuts with metal inserts and twist until wires entwine. You can also tape the nuts after twisting.

You're supposed to twist the wires together before putting the wire nut on. At least that was how I was taught years ago.

I can't see why the European style connectors shouldn't meet UL criteria. Wires are secured to breakers in a similar fashion. The manufacturer would have to submit the connectors for testing and approval.
Posted by: GGD
Date: February 18, 2012 12:34AM
macphanatic
You're supposed to twist the wires together before putting the wire nut on. At least that was how I was taught years ago.

And there's a reason for that, otherwise it's possible for the two wires to not touch each other but each is still making contact with the metal in the wire nut, and the thin spring-like wire-nut becomes part of the circuit until it melts or catches fire.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 178
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020