Edu iMac now for Institutions Only!
Posted by: graylocks
Date: July 12, 2006 05:29PM
[www.appleinsider.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Edu iMac now for Institutions Only!
Posted by: blusubaru
Date: July 12, 2006 05:38PM
That sucks! I knew I should have grabbed one the day it came out. It's completely off of my University's edu discount page now.
Posted by: spearmint
Date: July 12, 2006 06:03PM
That sucks. You know Apple has got a tremendous markup if they can give an $400 or 33% discount to a select group. I tried once get my sister the professor to go along with my scheme to buy educational and she said no, that the controls at her college on that were unbelievable. I should enroll in a free community college, get an ID and have at it, then drop out.

Da Good Life

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2006 06:04PM by spearmint.
Posted by: bfd
Date: July 12, 2006 06:08PM
The machines were built for schools, so you can see why they didn't want to give them away to anyone else.

Most people bfd talked to at NECC last week thought the machine showing up in the edu store was either a mistake or a marketing test …
Posted by: shadow
Date: July 12, 2006 06:12PM
spearmint
That sucks. You know Apple has got a tremendous markup if they can give an $400 or 33% discount to a select group. I tried once get my sister the professor to go along with my scheme to buy educational and she said no, that the controls at her college on that were unbelievable. I should enroll in a free community college, get an ID and have at it, then drop out.

Is it really worth the trouble when you can only buy one desktop, one mini, and one laptop per year?

- Shadow
Posted by: spearmint
Date: July 12, 2006 07:06PM
bfd
The machines were built for schools, so you can see why they didn't want to give them away to anyone else.

Most people bfd talked to at NECC last week thought the machine showing up in the edu store was either a mistake or a marketing test …

Used to be a lot of the machines had CD-ROM.

Da Good Life
Posted by: bfd
Date: July 12, 2006 09:04PM
The problem with all the computer makers is that they refuse to consider offering any machines at a low-cost price point. They strive to keep the price point the same, generation by generation by adding more and more features that people really don't really need or want.

Software is the same way.

A built in iSight may well be "cool", but who really needs it? Same thing with the go-power for a 30" flat-panel. Bluetooth works OK too, but the majority of people who have it still don't use it. They still end up having to pay for it though.

bfd saw the so-called $100 laptop last week, and it would do everything most people need - bfd thought for $50 more, they really could've made it the Mac Daddy.

Supposedly, the $100 laptop will stay relatively the same, and the price will go down over time. They're also not for US consumption, but they may well revolutionize the rest of the world.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 191
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020