advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
what is "B&W proofing"
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 24, 2012 03:10PM
When a deal on a laser printer pops up, or when someone wants a new printer, sometimes they say this and that is (or is NOT) great for "B&W proofing"

what exactly do you mean by "B&W proofing"? do you talkd about postscript. or about how is renders different shades of gray?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2012 03:18PM by space-time.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: what is "B&W proofing"
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: February 24, 2012 03:23PM
Inside joke.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Buzz
Date: February 24, 2012 03:28PM
postscript. yeah, that's it, postscript... :-)

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: Black
Date: February 24, 2012 03:32PM
Can't tell you until the membership committee approves your application, which they're still waiting for.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 24, 2012 03:35PM
First of all, it must be USB.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: February 24, 2012 03:39PM
The original "joke" was way back in the mists of time...

Once upon a time, there were like three or four people in three or four days asked basically the same question... "what's a good postscript printer for B&W proofing?".
Considerable fun was poked at the 3rd and 4th person to ask the same question.

So, ever-more, when printer threads come up... someone inserts that line.

Honestly, I'm afraid to check and see how OLD that joke is... I KNOW it's from back at Dealmac. And it wasn't NEW at the "time of troubles".

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 24, 2012 03:45PM
....racism......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: February 24, 2012 03:46PM
Paul F.
The original "joke" was way back in the mists of time...

Once upon a time, there were like three or four people in three or four days asked basically the same question... "what's a good postscript printer for B&W proofing?".
Considerable fun was poked at the 3rd and 4th person to ask the same question.

So, ever-more, when printer threads come up... someone inserts that line.

Doesn't exactly jibe with what I recall.
I think a new user inadvertently posted the same question ~3 times in a row and phorum wasn't sophisticated enough at the time to block the dupes. Then others started threads with the same subject, then others started threads with various departures from it . . .
My guess would be 1999 before everyone started hating each-other in the 2000 election run-up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2012 03:47PM by Black.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 24, 2012 03:48PM
The inside joke relates back to a series of quite reasonable questions on The Other Forum From Whence We Came. (DM).

Back in the mists of time, Macintosh Printers for use by Design users really HAD to be Postscript capable.

And there were many flavors of Postscript, or emulations thereof.
- - - - - -
For it is written in the Book of Macintosh Phorums:

Each digital artist had the favor of different Gods.. the Gods of Aldus Pagemaker, the Gods of Quark, and often the Gods of Macromedia Freehand. And it was good.

In the blessed days of the birth of The Macintosh, the Prophet Steve Jobs had seen the future, and arranged that Laser Printers would be made by the Sacred Apple Computer Company, and that all the Gods would speak equally to these printers. And peace and beauty spread throughout the land in glorious hues of black and grey.

But the Gods quarreled among themselves, and chose different schemes to speak to the Printers. And the Prophet Steve Jobs was cast out of the Blessed Apple Computer Company. And discord and confusion spread throughout the land. The People cried out in search of a Printer that would honor all the Gods.

And then the Prophet Steve Jobs returned to the Blessed Apple Company. And he came bearing a mighty Idea that Printers were Not It. And he spake thusly:

"Lo, your Gods quarrel. We shall not make our blessed Laser Printers, for their Profit Margins are Low, and we hath better things to bring forth from our minds to enrich your lives."

And the People rejoiced at the Prophet's return, but some cried out in the wilderness, and spake:
"Wherefore, Blessed Prophet, shall we seek out a Laser Printer that can be used for Black & White Proofing of our Art, for we are sore pressed by these Gods that quarrel."

And the Prophet did not answer.

But from the wilderness called DealMac came calm and welcome advice, for there were other Blessed Printers being made in divers locations. And there was much rejoicing and printing of many Black & White Proofs. And The Customers were glad, and paid many Invoices to the People, who prospered.

And henceforth, when a Laser Printer Question is asked, acolytes of The Macintosh will quote the Book of Phorums, though the reasons for this verse be lost in the mist of time.

And it is good.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 24, 2012 03:52PM
Cbelt,

You forgot the last and most important line....

For Black & White proofs.

Robert
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: February 24, 2012 03:53PM
Whoa, good Bible...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2012 03:54PM by Carnos Jax.
Date: February 24, 2012 03:54PM
cbelt3
The inside joke relates back to a series of quite reasonable questions on The Other Forum From Whence We Came. (DM).

Back in the mists of time, Macintosh Printers for use by Design users really HAD to be Postscript capable.

And there were many flavors of Postscript, or emulations thereof.
- - - - - -
For it is written in the Book of Macintosh Phorums:

Each digital artist had the favor of different Gods.. the Gods of Aldus Pagemaker, the Gods of Quark, and often the Gods of Macromedia Freehand. And it was good.

In the blessed days of the birth of The Macintosh, the Prophet Steve Jobs had seen the future, and arranged that Laser Printers would be made by the Sacred Apple Computer Company, and that all the Gods would speak equally to these printers. And peace and beauty spread throughout the land in glorious hues of black and grey.

But the Gods quarreled among themselves, and chose different schemes to speak to the Printers. And the Prophet Steve Jobs was cast out of the Blessed Apple Computer Company. And discord and confusion spread throughout the land. The People cried out in search of a Printer that would honor all the Gods.

And then the Prophet Steve Jobs returned to the Blessed Apple Company. And he came bearing a mighty Idea that Printers were Not It. And he spake thusly:

"Lo, your Gods quarrel. We shall not make our blessed Laser Printers, for their Profit Margins are Low, and we hath better things to bring forth from our minds to enrich your lives."

And the People rejoiced at the Prophet's return, but some cried out in the wilderness, and spake:
"Wherefore, Blessed Prophet, shall we seek out a Laser Printer that can be used for Black & White Proofing of our Art, for we are sore pressed by these Gods that quarrel."

And the Prophet did not answer.

But from the wilderness called DealMac came calm and welcome advice, for there were other Blessed Printers being made in divers locations. And there was much rejoicing and printing of many Black & White Proofs. And The Customers were glad, and paid many Invoices to the People, who prospered.

And henceforth, when a Laser Printer Question is asked, acolytes of The Macintosh will quote the Book of Phorums, though the reasons for this verse be lost in the mist of time.

And it is good.

Would be more entertaining if the premise were accurate.

See above.

Date: February 24, 2012 03:59PM
Black

Doesn't exactly jibe with what I recall.
I think a new user inadvertently posted the same question ~3 times in a row and phorum wasn't sophisticated enough at the time to block the dupes. Then others started threads with the same subject, then others started threads with various departures from it . . .
My guess would be 1999 before everyone started hating each-other in the 2000 election run-up.

My recollection is different...

But we agree that is was quite a long time ago (I'd have guessed somewhere in the '99 to '01 window... )

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: February 24, 2012 04:00PM
Forgot to add...

You're wrong. grinning smiley

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 24, 2012 04:00PM
Ah, c'mon.. I had FUN with that bit. And you had to go and spoil it with an accurate explanation of the Genesis of the meme.

They would have believed it ! Really ! big grin smiley

I was gonna pass the collection basket after the next reading... I'll cut you guys in for a percentage !
Date: February 24, 2012 04:04PM
Paul F.
Forgot to add...

You're wrong. grinning smiley

And I suppose your sig is all the proof you need . . .?

Date: February 24, 2012 04:08PM
Here ya go, lazy-butts . . .

[forums.dealmac.com]

Click "go to topic" to see the big picture.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2012 04:11PM by Black.
Date: February 24, 2012 04:13PM
No more than your sig proves you're right...

Or are you just feeling pissy today and want to fight?

Put 'em up...

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: datbeme
Date: February 24, 2012 04:14PM
You can't leave out the part about the magazine ads. Used to be part of the "other place" FAQ, but that appears to have died without anyone noticing.

Searching for this gets some earlier references:

Cheap PostScript and ethernet laser printer for proofing B&W magazine ads
Date: February 24, 2012 04:16PM
datbeme
You can't leave out the part about the magazine ads. Used to be part of the "other place" FAQ, but that appears to have died without anyone noticing.

???
I see 2003 and 2007 here.

Date: February 24, 2012 04:18PM
Paul F.
No more than your sig proves you're right...

Or are you just feeling pissy today and want to fight?

Put 'em up...

When you're wrong, and you tell the person who's right that they're wrong, it's a fairly common and reasonable reaction for that person to speak up.

I s'pose changing the subject and posting image bombs is the closest you come to an apology.
Accepted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2012 04:18PM by Black.
Posted by: Acer
Date: February 24, 2012 04:19PM
Seemed pretty funny at the time. Guess you had to be there.
Date: February 24, 2012 04:22PM
Ah, I see I was right again...

You ARE just feeling pissy today.

Here's hoping you found a WHOLE worm in your apple, rather than just HALF a worm.

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: billb
Date: February 24, 2012 04:28PM
I think the mac drivers on floppy taped to the bottom cheap black and white laser printer for proofing magazine ads thread (and family of posts) was on the part of the forum that went "poof" and is gone.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: February 24, 2012 04:32PM
billb
I think the mac drivers on floppy taped to the bottom cheap black and white laser printer for proofing magazine ads thread (and family of posts) was on the part of the forum that went "poof" and is gone.

Look above, under "lazy-butt."

Posted by: $tevie
Date: February 24, 2012 04:33PM
Ah yes. Joe.

[forums.dealmac.com] <========

Posted by: datbeme
Date: February 24, 2012 04:34PM
Black
datbeme

???

Earlier than TODAY, that is! You posted while i was typing. Not sure how you found that—searching that archive rarely works well for me.
Posted by: davester
Date: February 24, 2012 04:35PM
No discussion of this topic can be complete without including Otto's brilliant responses:

Cheapest Postscript Printer?
Posted by: Joe (IP Logged)
Date: June 19, 2001 11:33AM

I am looking for the cheapest postscript printer with USB or ethernet
support.
Just using it for proofing magazine ads in BW.
Thanks

Options: Reply To This Message•Quote This Message•Report This Message
RE: Cheapest Postscript Printer?
Posted by: Alek (IP Logged)
Date: June 19, 2001 11:39AM

This is the fifth time this topic has come up today.

Search the forum before you ask.

Posted by: Otto @#$%& (IP Logged)
Date: June 19, 2001 11:42AM

The cheapest one is free. Often, people steal perfectly good ones from Police Stations, or find them in garbage dumps with labels that say "Free Postscript Printer, Mac drivers taped to the bottom".

A women in Iowa, down on her luck, at the end of her rope, prayed to God for a Postscript printer, then opened her last can of pork n' beans, ate a lonely meal, and went to bed in the freezing cold (heat shut off).

When she woke up the next morning, there was a brand new Hewlett-Packard Postscript printer on her old kitchen table, and the poor old lady could now print out her recipes and nudist camp schedules, after stealing some paper out of her office copy machine, where she worked as a volunteer.

This is the power of prayer.

Date: June 19, 2001 11:46AM

I am looking for the cheapest postscript printer with USB or ethernet support.
Thanks

RE: Free
Posted by: Paul Max (IP Logged)
Date: June 19, 2001 11:52AM

This topic has come up previously today, but the same
person originated most of those threads too...

It's pretty easy to find used postscript lasers that
support ethernet for free or $1. And I don't just
mean 300 dpi PS level 1 lasers either.

Free Printer

"Oh, Great and Good God of Postscript Printers, I am Unworthy of Your Great Munificence. Yea, I beseech You, Just and Merciful God, to please RUSH TO ME a Postscript Printer, and Send It to My Kitchen table! It needn't be a new Postscript Printer, Dear God, just an Adequate One, that I may better print out Press Proofs, that will Relflect and Amplify your Splendor! And, Please God, forgive my Greed, But May it Be a USB or ETHERNET printer, O God, if I may make a simple unworthy request of your Great Generosity.

Amen

(This is the same prayer as used by the poor old Lady in Iowa. Repeat this prayer 4000 times, and you will be Granted a Postscript printer)

RE: Free Printer
Posted by: God (IP Logged)
Date: June 19, 2001 12:03PM

He has to repeat it 5000 times or no dice.

Date: June 19, 2001 12:06PM

Do multiple posts count?

I think you missed the point nabn.
Posted by: e p (IP Logged)
Date: June 19, 2001 12:54PM

He has his own mantra and is already performing it here in the forum.
We can help him though:

<font size=-2><i>picture Monty Python monks wacking themselves in the head after each repitition</i>

...IamlookingforthecheapestpostscriptprinterwithUSBorethernetsupportJustusingitforproofingmagazineadsinBWThanks...

-- CLUNK --

...IamlookingforthecheapestpostscriptprinterwithUSBorethernetsupportJustusingitforproofingmagazineadsinBWThanks...

-- CLUNK --

-- CLUNK --

-- CLUNK --

-- CLUNK --

-- CLUNK --

-- CLUNK --

-- CLUNK --

-- CLUNK --

-- CLUNK --

-- CLUNK --

-- CLUNK --

Color postscript laser for trade!
Posted by: Satan (IP Logged)
Date: June 19, 2001 12:56PM

This week only: Color postscript laser with 256 Megs, USB, Firewire and Giga-Ether for trade. See details at one of our affliate sites, [www.kathyleegifford.com] .

Satan
The Dark Lord and CEO
Hell, Inc.

But seriously...
Date: June 19, 2001 01:07PM

If you want a printer you can use for other things, get a refurbished epson 870 or 740 or whatever, then get the epson postscript software. I don't like it personally, but it works...

Otherwise check ebay or dealmac's "basement" page for a cheap b+w laser printer. You might have to add one or both of the cards for usb and/or ethernet connectivity.

Hot Topic! Hot Topic!
Date: June 19, 2001 01:09PM

Front page. Too funny.

Get a used Laserwriter Pro 630!
Posted by: cipater (IP Logged)
Date: June 19, 2001 02:15PM

600 dpi, built-in Ethernet (need that stupid AAUI dongle to connect to 10BT or thinnet, however), 8ppm, ubiquitous/cheap toner, built like tanks. Should go for around $200 these days.

Be sure you get the Pro 630. The Pro 600 doesn't have ethernet.

I think the Laserwriter IIf and IIg had on-board ethernet; they should cost even less than the Pro 630, but they're slower and only do 300 dpi.

The Laserwriter 16/600PS is also quite excellent, but more expensive.

Play this backwards as you chant
Posted by: Jes'Pas (IP Logged)
Date: June 19, 2001 02:34PM

<<a href="[cgi.ebay.com];[cgi.ebay.com];

Don't buy one at all.
Posted by: mick e (IP Logged)
Date: June 19, 2001 03:15PM

Just e-mail the file to 'ol mick e.

mick e will print it out on his epson and bring it over to your house. Then he will roll it up and whack you over the head with it.

mick e is out

Posted by: Timothy (IP Logged)
Date: June 19, 2001 03:45PM

If you only need a letter size printer, there are plenty of cheap options. If you're a designer, as I am, and need a tabloid size, they start around $1,500, GCC is a pretty good choice.

Good luck finding your equipment.

Better luck finding your way through all the "witty' responses people feel the need to post.

Tim

Oh brother!
Date: June 19, 2001 03:49PM

In the style of Allison Krauss:

<i>I just want one postcript printer I pray
usb, ethernet, extra tray
and what shall load the fonts all down
good lord don't make me pay...

Oh vectors, load on down,
Load on down, Load your level 3 down
To the printer I pray...

RE: Hot Topic! Hot Topic!
Posted by: Marc (IP Logged)
Date: June 19, 2001 03:54PM

Joe,

Sorry about all of these idiots. I understand the need for a Postscript laserprinter. All of my design software is Postscript based. I have seen the HP Laserjet 1200se at Sam's Club for $329 ($399 list). The box says it is Postscript compatible, USB, 15 ppm, and 1200 dpi. I'm not sure what it's PS capabilities are.

I am currently using an old Laserjet 4MP on my G4 with an AsanteTalk box and it is working (although somewhat flaky-you have to start the printer before you turn on the box for it to work.) HP makes some great laser printers. You may want to research this one.

Date: June 19, 2001 04:33PM

I didn't know that was his favourite orifice.

Posted by: Bob (IP Logged)
Date: June 19, 2001 05:16PM

Often, people steal perfectly good ones from Police Stations, or find them in garbage dumps with labels that say "Free Postscript Printer, Mac drivers taped to the bottom".

That's just plain funny.

Bob

RE:Author: God (---.nyc.adsl.bellatlantic.net)
Posted by: Shashanka (IP Logged)
Date: June 19, 2001 05:48PM

God uses Hellatlantic for his DSL? I don't think so.

But seriously...
Date: June 19, 2001 06:31PM

<<a href="[www.refurbmadness.com];[www.refurbmadness.com];

Scroll to the bottom- $50

Posted by: another steve (IP Logged)
Date: June 19, 2001 10:09PM

eye am looking for the cheapest postscript printer with USB support.
Thankssss

twenty bucks and I'm hired... (nt)
Posted by: The Grim Ninja/Execcutioner (IP Logged)
Date: June 19, 2001 10:53PM

hmm... I recon this topic gettin annoying ain't it
Posted by: willyfredbob (IP Logged)
Date: June 19, 2001 10:55PM

yup

Joey Joey Joe Joe, which way did he go?
Posted by: The Grim Ninja/ Execcutioner (IP Logged)
Date: June 19, 2001 10:56PM

you're on my list now...
Date: June 19, 2001 10:57PM

if only I had a cheap postscrit printer to print my list out with...
can anyone help me with that?

Posted by: Jim D. (IP Logged)
Date: June 20, 2001 01:52AM

I've got a Postscript laser printer with ethernet that I'll give away free! Just send me $300 for shipping and handling and it's yours!

Jim D.

prayer for printer - no joke - does work
Posted by: Tom (IP Logged)
Date: June 20, 2001 11:28AM

When I was working on my masters degree my laserwriter 630 finally broke down, right in the middle of some work for the school. I prayed for a printer, and ended up meeting a guy on ebay who, once he heard that I was studying to be a pastor, sent me a postscript printer. No joke, no lie. If God knows that you need it, and it is in His will, it will come. Blew me away though. I always just waiting for God to send "peace" or something like that. He really does answer sometimes in ways that just blow ya away.
-Tom

Posted by: Postscript Hymnist (IP Logged)
Date: June 20, 2001 11:59AM

Oh Postscript printer there on high
God grant me one, my will is thy
On earth as in the he'ens above
My paper's here, Postscript I love

Oh Epson, Oki and HP
My heart would like a gift from thee
When all o'er routes are thus expent
Send printers out, angels repent!

Oh God in heaven my office guy
I wish 600 dpi
To copy nice, to print divine
On paper size, I shall not whine

Amen

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: February 24, 2012 04:36PM
datbeme
Black
datbeme

???

Earlier than TODAY, that is! You posted while i was typing. Not sure how you found that—searching that archive rarely works well for me.

I remote logged in to $tevie's work computer (shhhhhh!) and she actually found it before I posted-- but then I aced her out by like 20 minutes because she got called away from her desk.

Date: February 24, 2012 04:38PM
davester
No discussion of this topic can be complete without including Otto's brilliant responses:

support.
Thanks

The cheapest one is free. Often, people steal perfectly good ones from Police Stations, or find them in garbage dumps with labels that say "Free Postscript Printer, Mac drivers taped to the bottom".

A women in Iowa, down on her luck, at the end of her rope, prayed to God for a Postscript printer, then opened her last can of pork n' beans, ate a lonely meal, and went to bed in the freezing cold (heat shut off).

When she woke up the next morning, there was a brand new Hewlett-Packard Postscript printer on her old kitchen table, and the poor old lady could now print out her recipes and nudist camp schedules, after stealing some paper out of her office copy machine, where she worked as a volunteer.

Thanks

Free Printer

"Oh, Great and Good God of Postscript Printers, I am Unworthy of Your Great Munificence. Yea, I beseech You, Just and Merciful God, to please RUSH TO ME a Postscript Printer, and Send It to My Kitchen table! It needn't be a new Postscript Printer, Dear God, just an Adequate One, that I may better print out Press Proofs, that will Relflect and Amplify your Splendor! And, Please God, forgive my Greed, But May it Be a USB or ETHERNET printer, O God, if I may make a simple unworthy request of your Great Generosity.

Amen

(This is the same prayer as used by the poor old Lady in Iowa. Repeat this prayer 4000 times, and you will be Granted a Postscript printer)

Do multiple posts count?

We can help him though:

<font size=-2><i>picture Monty Python monks wacking themselves in the head after each repitition</i>

-- CLUNK --

-- CLUNK --

-- CLUNK --

-- CLUNK --

-- CLUNK --

-- CLUNK --

-- CLUNK --

-- CLUNK --

-- CLUNK --

-- CLUNK --

-- CLUNK --

-- CLUNK --

This week only: Color postscript laser with 256 Megs, USB, Firewire and Giga-Ether for trade. See details at one of our affliate sites, [www.kathyleegifford.com] .

Satan
The Dark Lord and CEO
Hell, Inc.

But seriously...

If you want a printer you can use for other things, get a refurbished epson 870 or 740 or whatever, then get the epson postscript software. I don't like it personally, but it works...

Otherwise check ebay or dealmac's "basement" page for a cheap b+w laser printer. You might have to add one or both of the cards for usb and/or ethernet connectivity.

Hot Topic! Hot Topic!

Front page. Too funny.

600 dpi, built-in Ethernet (need that stupid AAUI dongle to connect to 10BT or thinnet, however), 8ppm, ubiquitous/cheap toner, built like tanks. Should go for around $200 these days.

I think the Laserwriter IIf and IIg had on-board ethernet; they should cost even less than the Pro 630, but they're slower and only do 300 dpi.

Don't buy one at all.

mick e will print it out on his epson and bring it over to your house. Then he will roll it up and whack you over the head with it.

mick e is out

If you only need a letter size printer, there are plenty of cheap options. If you're a designer, as I am, and need a tabloid size, they start around $1,500, GCC is a pretty good choice.

Better luck finding your way through all the "witty' responses people feel the need to post.

Tim

Oh brother!

To the printer I pray...

Joe,

Sorry about all of these idiots. I understand the need for a Postscript laserprinter. All of my design software is Postscript based. I have seen the HP Laserjet 1200se at Sam's Club for $329 ($399 list). The box says it is Postscript compatible, USB, 15 ppm, and 1200 dpi. I'm not sure what it's PS capabilities are.

I am currently using an old Laserjet 4MP on my G4 with an AsanteTalk box and it is working (although somewhat flaky-you have to start the printer before you turn on the box for it to work.) HP makes some great laser printers. You may want to research this one.

Often, people steal perfectly good ones from Police Stations, or find them in garbage dumps with labels that say "Free Postscript Printer, Mac drivers taped to the bottom".

That's just plain funny.

Bob

But seriously...

Thankssss

yup

you're on my list now...

I've got a Postscript laser printer with ethernet that I'll give away free! Just send me $300 for shipping and handling and it's yours!

Jim D.

When I was working on my masters degree my laserwriter 630 finally broke down, right in the middle of some work for the school. I prayed for a printer, and ended up meeting a guy on ebay who, once he heard that I was studying to be a pastor, sent me a postscript printer. No joke, no lie. If God knows that you need it, and it is in His will, it will come. Blew me away though. I always just waiting for God to send "peace" or something like that. He really does answer sometimes in ways that just blow ya away.
-Tom

Oh Epson, Oki and HP

I wish 600 dpi

Amen
Thanks for posting the whole thing!

Posted by: $tevie
Date: February 24, 2012 04:38PM
Black
I remote logged in to $tevie's work computer (shhhhhh!) and she actually found it before I posted-- but then I aced her out by like 20 minutes because she got called away from her desk.

OMG! How did you know that? eye popping smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2012 04:39PM by $tevie.
Date: February 24, 2012 04:39PM
Black
davester

support.
Thanks

Thanks

Free Printer

Amen

Do multiple posts count?

We can help him though:

-- CLUNK --

-- CLUNK --

-- CLUNK --

-- CLUNK --

-- CLUNK --

-- CLUNK --

-- CLUNK --

-- CLUNK --

-- CLUNK --

-- CLUNK --

-- CLUNK --

-- CLUNK --

Satan
The Dark Lord and CEO
Hell, Inc.

But seriously...

Hot Topic! Hot Topic!

Front page. Too funny.

Don't buy one at all.

mick e is out

Tim

Oh brother!

To the printer I pray...

Joe,

That's just plain funny.

Bob

But seriously...

Thankssss

yup

you're on my list now...

Jim D.

-Tom

Oh Epson, Oki and HP

I wish 600 dpi

Amen

And oh yeah-- how's the weather out by you today?
We finally have a little bit of snow on the ground here.

Posted by: davester
Date: February 24, 2012 04:43PM
Black
Black

And oh yeah-- how's the weather out by you today?
We finally have a little bit of snow on the ground here.

You're welcome (and I'm not falling for that).

Our weather is just about the same as your except that what you call "snow", we call "sunshine".

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: February 24, 2012 04:51PM
bunny smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2012 04:54PM by Paul F..
Date: February 24, 2012 05:06PM
$tevie
Black

OMG! How did you know that? eye popping smiley

Let's just say I have helpful friends . . .

Date: February 24, 2012 05:06PM
Paul F.
bunny smiley

Good work, Paul. The therapy seems to be helping.

Posted by: wickedsteve
Date: February 24, 2012 05:08PM
Good times....
LOL
Posted by: Panopticon
Date: February 24, 2012 05:10PM
clearly explained in
The Book of Armaments, Chapter 2, verses 9-21
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: August West
Date: February 24, 2012 05:12PM
Laugh all you want, but OWC finally came around and shipped me ram with the right date codes.
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 24, 2012 05:14PM
August West
Laugh all you want, but OWC finally came around and shipped me ram with the right date codes.

huh?
Date: February 24, 2012 05:18PM
Date-Codes.... and the checking thereof...
Another old-time inside joke!
THAT one, I think, predates me, even.

(Cue Black to take the contrary view to bait me and say "No it doesn't!" )

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: February 24, 2012 05:23PM
Paul F.
(Cue Black to take the contrary view to bait me and say "No it doesn't!" )

Careful there Paul F, wouldn't want you to get a talking to from the mods.

Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: February 24, 2012 05:42PM
The DealMac FAQ lives:

[dougdavis.net]

Actually, I'm the guy who made it, and even *I* wasn't sure it still existed. I thought I might have deleted it, but I Googled, and there it was. :-)

[www.zeemaps.com]
Date: February 24, 2012 05:49PM
The UnDoug
The DealMac FAQ lives:

[dougdavis.net]

Actually, I'm the guy who made it, and even *I* wasn't sure it still existed. I thought I might have deleted it, but I Googled, and there it was. :-)

Kiva's a man? sad smiley

Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: February 24, 2012 06:04PM
That date code crap was about old FMB DIMMS for the PowerSurge 1st generation PCI Macs. Funny thing is that I still run one of these to strip Macrovision off videotapes to put on the home server and guess what? That ooooold RAM still works. And the date codes are like 1997 or something!!!
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 24, 2012 06:05PM
Black
Here ya go, lazy-butts . . .

[forums.dealmac.com]

Click "go to topic" to see the big picture.

Good lord, man - amazing pull!

It is what it is.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 24, 2012 06:07PM
$tevie
Ah yes. Joe.

It's always Joe.

It is what it is.
Posted by: billb
Date: February 24, 2012 06:43PM
Black
billb

Look above, under "lazy-butt."

A thread with 4 posts in it ?

I don't think so.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: guitarist
Date: February 24, 2012 06:55PM
Here it means "Bandwidth".. or "Band Width", since many think it's two words.

Maybe B & W proofing means "Band" and "Width" proofing.
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: February 24, 2012 07:05PM
Black
davester

support.
Thanks

Thanks

Free Printer

Amen

Do multiple posts count?

We can help him though:

-- CLUNK --

-- CLUNK --

-- CLUNK --

-- CLUNK --

-- CLUNK --

-- CLUNK --

-- CLUNK --

-- CLUNK --

-- CLUNK --

-- CLUNK --

-- CLUNK --

-- CLUNK --

Satan
The Dark Lord and CEO
Hell, Inc.

But seriously...

Hot Topic! Hot Topic!

Front page. Too funny.

Don't buy one at all.

mick e is out

Tim

Oh brother!

To the printer I pray...

Joe,

That's just plain funny.

Bob

But seriously...

Thankssss

yup

you're on my list now...

Jim D.

-Tom

Oh Epson, Oki and HP

I wish 600 dpi

Amen

Third Charm's The Time.

I am not Ryan Seacrest, and I do not approve this message.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 81
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020