advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
iPad lends a hand to Mozart at the symphony, literally
Posted by: Grace62
Date: March 04, 2012 11:44AM
The iPad took center stage for a bit at the Seattle Symphony last night.

Jeffrey Kahane was both performing and conducting Mozart's Piano Concerto No. 6, so the last thing he needed was to have to turn the pages of the score.

He had an iPad on the piano with the score on the screen, and a wireless Bluetooth-connected pedal at his foot that he used to turn the pages.

The concert was outstanding.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: iPad lends a hand to Mozart at the symphony, literally
Posted by: Jerry®
Date: March 04, 2012 12:15PM
WOW! Totally cool.

Posted by: tenders
Date: March 04, 2012 12:19PM
Awesome. This note made me research and buy what turns out to be the Cicada.

[www.amazon.com]

There's another model out there but it seemed steep at $130.
Posted by: Joseph C.
Date: March 04, 2012 01:13PM
I use the Page Flip- it works very well. I have it linked to my iPad for score reading.
My only complaint is that slides around a bit. I velcro ed the pedal to a small mat to help stop the sliding.
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: March 04, 2012 01:24PM
Sheesh...so 2011....it really ought to *hear* the music, and turn the page automatically based on what it hears.

[www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: Black
Date: March 04, 2012 05:58PM
I can't imagine that the image could be large enough to be useful for most musicians/conductors in most situations-- unless he was only viewing a partial page at a time in landscape maybe.

A while ago I was at a rehearsal and there was no music for the woodwinds, so a bassoon player managed to find the part he needed online and play while reading it from his iPhone.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Date: March 04, 2012 06:44PM
Here he is with the NY Philharmonic. Apparently this is becoming popular with a lot of musicians, but I also wondered about the size of the screen. For his purposes it obviously works fine.
[www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: BernDog
Date: March 04, 2012 08:31PM
The UnDoug
Sheesh...so 2011....it really ought to *hear* the music, and turn the page automatically based on what it hears.

[www.smartmusic.com]

Done. Been around for years. No iPad app yet, though.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: March 05, 2012 06:13AM
Grace62
[graphics8.nytimes.com]

"Damn! That last pig is almost impossible to get!"
Date: March 05, 2012 11:23AM
Lux Interior
Grace62
[graphics8.nytimes.com]

"Damn! That last pig is almost impossible to get!"

good one
Posted by: tenders
Date: March 20, 2012 12:54PM
So based on this thread I've been using the PageFlip Cicada and the new iPad for a couple of days. My perspective here comes as a pianist, and piano music has scores with two staffs, so it's relatively "high" on the page. Musicians playing instruments that just make one note at a time might arrive at different conclusions.

The best software I found was ForScore ($4.99), which interfaces well with everything and
(1) allows the screen keyboard to pop up even when the BT "keyboard" (the Cicada) is connected (I wish this were a system-wide setting),
(2) prevents the iPad from falling asleep during use (duh),
(3) has a sensible filing system which links in smoothly with DropBox, and is equipped to be helpful when you want to use only a few pages inside of a long piece (bookmarks),
(4) allows annotations on top of the PDF music, and page-by-page cropping to maximize the screen real estate, and
(5) doesn't dork around with additional, pricey software on the computer side.

Verdict: very interesting and highly convenient, but not an ideal substitute for printed scores. Lots of music is printed on portrait-oriented paper even larger than 8.5 x 11, and the iPad screen is too small to display a full page at proper size in portrait mode.

In landscape mode, the iPad screen can only display a line or two of music. If the bottom of a screen page cuts through a line of music, the next screen page you see after the page-flip may just show another cut line of music - the bottom part of the previously-cut line at the top of the screen.

I also find it quite disorienting to be able to see only one page, or a fraction of a page, at a time. But this I might get used to over time.

So, it's manageable for convenience or in a pinch but the screen just isn't big enough to replace paper scores. It would be killer with a much larger screen.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 113
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020