advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Lion question: why do they hide the user Library folder?
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: April 06, 2012 07:38AM
I'm in the process of tweaking a new computer (iMac 27) with Lion. In Snow Leopard the user Library file was in the User folder but now they make you go through the Go to Folder to search with ~/Library to access it.

I figure the main reason was to make it harder for non-tech people to play with it but ????

The only reason I was able to find it was because of Tekserve's new MacFAQ book that I got with the computer. And I had to find it to dump some preferences that were crashing Fontbook.

Go Tekserve, because I wouldn't have found it otherwise...
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Lion question: why do they hide the user Library folder?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 06, 2012 07:50AM
>>I figure the main reason was to make it harder for non-tech people to play with it but ????

you seem to have answered your own question.

Posted by: decay
Date: April 06, 2012 08:03AM
funny thing is, the /Library folder isn't hidden, nor is /System.

you could do more damage by moving files from those!

---
Posted by: GGD
Date: April 06, 2012 09:02AM
Lizabeth
In Snow Leopard the user Library file was in the User folder but now they make you go through the Go to Folder to search with ~/Library to access it.

There actually is a slightly easier way. Just hold down the "Option" key when clicking on the Finder's "Go" menu, and "Library" will appear as one of the items in the Go Menu.
Date: April 06, 2012 09:49AM
Awesome! Thanks for the tip smiling smiley)))))
Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 06, 2012 10:53AM
And then drag its folder icon from the top of the window's title bar into the Sidebar, and you'll have instant access from any Finder window.

And still won't have even a semi-frequent reason to do so.
Date: April 06, 2012 11:17AM
Double awesome...not that I'll need to go into it anymore smiling smiley
Posted by: silvarios
Date: April 06, 2012 11:37AM
decay
funny thing is, the /Library folder isn't hidden, nor is /System.

you could do more damage by moving files from those!

Yep. Then again, aren't you prompted for an admin password if you start moving or deleting items in those folders?

Hiding the user library is still weird to me, I've never had a client even look in their user library folder.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: April 06, 2012 12:02PM
If you want it to appear all the time, use this simple Terminal command:
chflags nohidden ~/Library/

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: rz
Date: April 06, 2012 12:54PM
GarageBand and Logic store their loops in the user Library folder. So I've been known to poke about in there. But I'm still on SL. Every time I think about going to Lion, I read yet another thing that makes me not want to.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: April 06, 2012 01:24PM
rz
GarageBand and Logic store their loops in the user Library folder. So I've been known to poke about in there. But I'm still on SL. Every time I think about going to Lion, I read yet another thing that makes me not want to.

Because one terminal command is too hard to manage? Sheesh.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: April 06, 2012 01:28PM
rz
Every time I think about going to Lion, I read yet another thing that makes me not want to.

I might upgrade one of my systems to Lion this weekend. Purchased and downloading as I type this message. I figure if I'm going to be a Mac user when Mountain Lion launches, I need to get most of my machines on Lion at least in order to keep receiving updates (I think three of the Macs I maintain are not Mountain Lion compatible, hence the potential upgrade to Lion).
Date: April 06, 2012 01:44PM
rjmacs
rz

Because one terminal command is too hard to manage? Sheesh.

Because Apple is supposed to be great at the details, but typically are in fact not very good at implementation and fine tuning.

Apple is better at the big picture. In their view, if the direction of the product is strong, the details can be finessed over the course of the natural evolution of the product. Great in theory, and even in practice for many people, but can be quite infuriating when Apple guesses wrong.

As an example, iOS is a pretty good operating system. However, multi-tasking, task switching, and launching are all fairly weak as they trace their roots back to the original iPhone which lacked third party apps (not much reason to need a fancy task switcher with 10 apps or so and almost non existent multi-tasking). Notifications were similarly awful for the first four iOS releases. Which makes sense as the iPhone originally only needed to notify of emails, SMS, missed/received calls, and voicemail.

As to the topic on hand, hiding the user library is rather silly when the system library remains exposed.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2012 01:53PM by silvarios.
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: April 06, 2012 03:54PM
rjmacs
If you want it to appear all the time, use this simple Terminal command:
chflags nohidden ~/Library/

Exactly what rjmacs said.

I do this for each of my employees' Macs on the first day.

I'll bet someone $10 that they reverse this "hidden" Library in Mountain Lion.

I'm in for another $10 that they remove the improved skeuomorphic skin of iCal and Address Book. Actually, this is more a wish than a bet. But I'll still bet the ten on it.

M1 2020 Mac mini (16G 2T) Ventura 13.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs M1 2020 13" MBAir (256G 8G)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 113
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020