advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Low cost audio multitrack editor?
Posted by: Markiscool
Date: April 16, 2012 06:30AM
I'm needing to edit some radio commercials for work and need a multitrack editor for work on my MacBook Pro. I've used Audition before, and would be comfortable using it again, but if I can avoid spending the money on it, I'd like to. Any low cost or free options? I don't need a lot of extras, just simple multitrack editing and wav/mp3 importing/exporting.

-M
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Low cost audio multitrack editor?
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: April 16, 2012 06:35AM
I did some multitrack editing of a rock concert (Hendrix actually) on GarageBand a few years ago. Have you looked in to that?

Paul
Date: April 16, 2012 07:17AM
I have. GarageBand doesn't really fit what I need to do (or maybe I'm not smart enough to use it the way it is supposed to be used). In any case, I had a hard time getting it to do what I wanted it to do.

-M
Posted by: BernDog
Date: April 16, 2012 07:52AM
If Garage Band won't do what you want, I'm not sure if Audacity would, but it seems obvious.
Date: April 16, 2012 08:14AM
The only thing holding back Audacity is the lack of multitrack. Otherwise I'd be all over it!
Posted by: JoeM
Date: April 16, 2012 08:31AM
Here's some editors to check out:
[www.hongkiat.com]

and a comparison of paid and free editors:
[en.wikipedia.org]

JoeM
Posted by: Joseph C.
Date: April 16, 2012 08:35AM
This may do the job:
[studioone.presonus.com]
Posted by: wurm
Date: April 16, 2012 08:35AM
I went through this search several years ago and the cheapest way I found was to buy the least expensive audio interface I could find (Lexicon Alpha) just for the bundled Cubase LE. It's worked out well for me. There's a slight learning curve, but if you are used to digital audio editors, you should be okay.
Posted by: edgarbc1
Date: April 16, 2012 09:36AM
reaper

its not free.. $60 for a single personal use license..
and higher if for for work purposes
i think you can use the original download .app unfettered
before you actually pay the fee (its kinda free on the honor system if memory serves me correct)

i have not used it personally but many say its a viable option to Pro Tools

reaper home page

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2012 09:41AM by edgarbc1.
Posted by: BernDog
Date: April 16, 2012 09:39AM
Markiscool
The only thing holding back Audacity is the lack of multitrack. Otherwise I'd be all over it!

Ah, multitrack...AT THE SAME TIME...

Duh. damn you smiley
Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 16, 2012 10:54AM
I would expect Garageband to have ample documentation online, but any of them are going to have a learning curve, no?

The Presonus thing above, Studio One, appears to be an interesting solution for OS X. Have to convert the MP3 files first, but that can be done in iTunes or many other things.
Posted by: clay
Date: April 16, 2012 02:02PM
deckeda
I would expect Garageband to have ample documentation online, but any of them are going to have a learning curve, no?

The Presonus thing above, Studio One, appears to be an interesting solution for OS X. Have to convert the MP3 files first, but that can be done in iTunes or many other things.

That's like Photoshop requiring all graphic files to be converted to jpegs before working on them. There are plenty of better options out there, and Garageband would be my first stop, especially if you have a version already on your computer. Way easier to use than any of the other options listed here, especially if you're trying to do this on the cheap.
Posted by: bwicklander
Date: April 16, 2012 06:10PM
I've used Garageband to multitrack a radio show. Punching in and out of commercials. Fades were no problem using the rubberband faders.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 16, 2012 06:25PM
clay
deckeda
... Have to convert the MP3 files first, but that can be done in iTunes or many other things.

That's like Photoshop requiring all graphic files to be converted to jpegs before working on them. ...

Actually, it's not. JPEGS are lossy.

Consider: If you convert a lossy file such as MP3 to lossless such as AIFF or WAV, the editor can work on it without sonic degradation (until some subsequent (but hopefully unlikely) downsample/down-rez back to some lossy format, but that's not the fault of the editor nor intermediary AIFF or WAV format.)

But I understand what you're saying from a workflow issue, and yes, some editors can directly import MP3s. But complaining that a serious editor can't import a non-professional format like MP3 typically falls on deaf ears for that intended crowd.
Posted by: kj
Date: April 16, 2012 08:05PM
I have Ardour, which I think can be used free, although I chose to pay for it (just a little bit). It's usable, but I ended up going back to my legacy computer and Tracktion. It's just so much easier to use than anything else, at least for me. kj.
Posted by: clay
Date: April 16, 2012 08:42PM
deckeda
clay
deckeda
... Have to convert the MP3 files first, but that can be done in iTunes or many other things.

That's like Photoshop requiring all graphic files to be converted to jpegs before working on them. ...

Actually, it's not. JPEGS are lossy.

Consider: If you convert a lossy file such as MP3 to lossless such as AIFF or WAV, the editor can work on it without sonic degradation (until some subsequent (but hopefully unlikely) downsample/down-rez back to some lossy format, but that's not the fault of the editor nor intermediary AIFF or WAV format.)

But I understand what you're saying from a workflow issue, and yes, some editors can directly import MP3s. But complaining that a serious editor can't import a non-professional format like MP3 typically falls on deaf ears for that intended crowd.

You're right...I read your original comment as "Have to convert TO MP3 files first". Silly mistake on my part.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 75
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020