You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
"Tranquility Base Here…the Eagle has landed."
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: July 20, 2006 02:38PM
(+37)

[en.wikipedia.org]

[www.hq.nasa.gov]

[www.hq.nasa.gov]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2006 02:41PM by Zoidberg.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "Tranquility Base Here…the Eagle has landed."
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: July 20, 2006 02:43PM
Okay, watch lovers. What brand & model wristwatch were the astronauts wearing?

Time's up:

[www.hq.nasa.gov]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2006 03:00PM by Lux Interior.
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 20, 2006 02:43PM
Of course I thought you were dramatically announcing that you had a new mac.
Posted by: spearmint
Date: July 20, 2006 02:50PM
37 years ago, a dmn near lifetime and we have not established a moon base. I then would have sure predicted we would be further along in space than we are now. Some people may gripe about spending all that money but I think it is an important part of Mankind's destiny. I guess completing the space station will enable us to get to the Moon easier but that is a long way off.

Da Good Life
Posted by: billb
Date: July 20, 2006 02:50PM
Also:
[moon.google.com]
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: July 20, 2006 03:25PM
spearmint
37 years ago, a dmn near lifetime and we have not established a moon base. I then would have sure predicted we would be further along in space than we are now. Some people may gripe about spending all that money but I think it is an important part of Mankind's destiny. I guess completing the space station will enable us to get to the Moon easier but that is a long way off.
Waste of money - are *you* gonna pay for it?

Unmanned space science missions (Pioneer, Voyager, Viking, Galileo, Cassini, Mars Pathfinder, Spirit, Opportunity, Global Surveyor, Clementine, Hubble, Spitzer Space Telescopes *many* others) cost a very small fraction of manned missions and return actual useful data as opposed to a few photo-ops. Apollo was a necessary response to the Cold War but that war no longer exist and neither should manned space missions.

Let's revisit the idea in 100 years when technology makes it more economically feasible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2006 03:38PM by Lew Zealand.
Date: July 20, 2006 03:32PM
I think we need to "be there". That said, however, and from a cost perspective, I'd rather see a hundred "virtual presence" probes than a single manned mission, as Lew points out.

Posted by: D-Rod
Date: July 20, 2006 04:04PM
Be there? On the Moon? Doesn't anyone else listen to Coast to Coast? We are already on the moon and Mars and other planets not even in our solar system. Get with it people.

:-)

Formerly known as Dennis R
Posted by: earache
Date: July 20, 2006 04:21PM
[www.blogjam.com]

earache
Posted by: sscutchen
Date: July 20, 2006 04:33PM
Lew Zealand
Unmanned space science missions (Pioneer, Voyager, Viking, Galileo, Cassini, Mars Pathfinder, Spirit, Opportunity, Global Surveyor, Clementine, Hubble, Spitzer Space Telescopes *many* others) cost a very small fraction of manned missions and return actual useful data as opposed to a few photo-ops. Apollo was a necessary response to the Cold War but that war no longer exist and neither should manned space missions.

Let's revisit the idea in 100 years when technology makes it more economically feasible.

Hubble says "hi."

Don't ask who the bell's for, dude. It's you.
Posted by: davester
Date: July 20, 2006 04:48PM
It's amazing how long ago that was. I was a highly impressionable 14 year old at the time, and it really was a stupendous achievement. Science and technological innovation was in the forefront of the american dream and psyche at the time and the world looked to us for leadership in those areas. We've come a long way down from that high, what with poorly performing schools, leaders who pooh pooh science and heavy competition from many other countries.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: spearmint
Date: July 20, 2006 04:53PM
Zoidberg
I think we need to "be there". That said, however, and from a cost perspective, I'd rather see a hundred "virtual presence" probes than a single manned mission, as Lew points out.

Is that an accurate ratio 100 to 1 in terms of cost?

Da Good Life
Date: July 20, 2006 05:51PM
'mint, I'm not quite sure. I read AIR & SPACE all the time, and watch the Science Channel a lot, and I swear I've heard or read that ratio before.

I'll have to do some research on that.

What surprises me is that even though today is the anniversary of the first time Man set foot on another world (at least by our own design; John Carter need not apply), APOD [antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov] just has a regular ol' picture.

Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: July 20, 2006 06:00PM
Right now, the local planetary missions are coming in at about $250 - 750 Million apiece. More complex ones (space telescopes, gas giant missions) are in the $1.5-5 Billion range. Half or more of the cost comes from running the missions themselves, after the hardware is built and launched.

Bush's Mars Mission is estimated to cost $40 Billion - 1 Trillion or more.

Wikipedia puts the *total* cost of the Shuttle missions up to now at about $150 Billion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2006 06:01PM by Lew Zealand.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: July 20, 2006 08:23PM
What everyone fails to realize is that unless we try now, the technology won't be there in 100 years. Without a reason to inovate, why bother? People need a reason. Kennedy realized that. He gave it to them. He presented a goal. Acknowledged that it would be difficult, dangerous work. There is still no good reason to even bother exploring space unless we find a way to travel faster than light. Even at the speed of light, the nearest solar system that *might* support life is WAY far away. Years away at lightspeed, perhaps hundreds of years. It just isn't feasible. Now if we find a way to travel near the speed of light, things like mining on other planets becomes an option.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: July 20, 2006 09:26PM
Lew Zealand

Wikipedia puts the *total* cost of the Shuttle missions up to now at about $150 Billion.

That's about what we've wasted in Iraq.

Grateful11
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 20, 2006 10:45PM
the idea of solving some of the everyday problems on earth excites me a lot more than space exploration because it would require actual teamwork amongst intelligent people.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: July 21, 2006 01:09AM
<What everyone fails to realize is that unless we try now, the technology won't be there in 100 years. Without a reason to inovate, why bother? People need a reason. Kennedy realized that. He gave it to them. He presented a goal. Acknowledged that it would be difficult, dangerous work.

And ztirffritz knocks it out of the park...

And working together to explore space can, has, and does solve a great number of problems right HERE. I won't bother to try and explain... us space advocates have been doing it for decades, until we're blue in the face. You'll either do the research and come to that conclusion yourself, or nothing I say will convince you.

Oh, and I own an Omega watch... courtesy of my grandfather, who wore it until he passed away in 1982. Excellent watch.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 143
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020