advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Half.com CD With Hole Drilled through the UPC
Posted by: Sam*
Date: January 02, 2006 08:14PM
I bought the "Walk the Line" movie soundtrack CD from a Half.com seller who advertised item like this:

Condition: Brand NewBRAND NEW, FACTORY SEALED & GIFTABLE!!, FREE 1st CLASS UPGRADE, CD & INSERTS ARE ORIGINAL & INTACT, GUARANTEED TO PLAY PERFECTLY, GREAT ALBUM, SHIPS IMMEDIATLEY AND NEVER CANCELED!!

It arrived on Friday, Dec. 31 and was purchased on Dec. 19. Slow delivery, but what really bugged me was there is a hole drilled through the jewel box right through the UPC, see pics below.

Today I looked up his feedback; out of 207 there were only two neutral that I could find, no negative. One of the neutral ones was:

Great CD!!! However, Ad did not say CD had a hole punched through UPC Code.

I haven't opened the CD yet. What does a hole drilled through the UPC code of a CD mean? What, if anything, should I do about it?

Thanks,

Sam*
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Half.com CD With Hole Drilled through the UPC
Posted by: Guitarman
Date: January 02, 2006 08:23PM
It's called a promotional CD. This guy got it cheap or free and then sold it to you. It's not legal for him to sell it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2006 08:39PM by Guitarman.
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: January 02, 2006 08:54PM
The punch is pretty typical of "free goods" (promos) or "breakage" overruns that were dumped by a recording company with all of the expenses charged to them, but no royalties going to the band.
Posted by: Bimwad
Date: January 02, 2006 08:55PM
Ever heard of a cutout bin at a record store?

The only reason to fret would be if you paid full retail price for it. Otherwise, it should play fine and is generally no different than any other copy of the same album.
Posted by: bill b
Date: January 02, 2006 09:01PM
A discount house ,here , used to do that to all their CD cases, LPjackets, too. (Black permanent marker on cassettes and VCR videos (no shrink wrap on the boxes) They used to punch holes in the garment labels, too.

Date: January 02, 2006 09:12PM
Not only do no royalties go to the band, they are charged for making the CD.

Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 02, 2006 09:31PM
shoot the seller an e-mail and tell them that the inserts WERE NOT intact, they have a hole in them. Ask them what they intend to do?
Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 02, 2006 09:33PM
The couple of times I was given promo copies back in the days of LPs, they weren't cut, but they had stickers on them saying they were promotional copies and not for resale. How can a person tell the difference between a promo copy and a "cut out bin" copy nowadays, since it sounds like they look exactly the same? I've bought CDs cut like that in "real" record stores, for very cheap of course.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2006 09:35PM by $tevie.
Date: January 02, 2006 09:48PM
> How can a person tell the difference between a promo copy
> and a "cut out bin" copy nowadays

"Cut out bin" copies ARE promo CD's (The band pays out of royalties for a certain percentage of each production run to be given away as promo items and if there are extras, they're sold to wholesalers) or (more often) bin-items are from breakage-stock. (The band pays out of royalties for 10% or so of the production-run that is set aside for breakage, but actual breakage is closer to 0.25% so the rest are dumped through record clubs or through wholesalers where the "punch" or slice in the side distinguishes them from legitimate-channel goods.)

Since the band isn't making money off the sale either way, why do you care whether it was a promo copy?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2006 09:52PM by MacMagus.
Date: January 02, 2006 10:01PM
Record clubs print their own copies of the CDs and do pay royalties to the band. Also, the discount for breakage and promos is more like 25%. Breakage goes back to the shellac 78 rpm recordings. Ever since LPs, there has been almost no breakage, and even less with CDs. The cutouts and drilled copies are a racket, some of them wind up with the mob others small time people who work for the label. Go to any label office and you will find boxes upon boxes of drilled CDs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2006 10:04PM by Guitarman.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: January 02, 2006 10:08PM
<Ever since LPs, there has been almost no breakage,

Don't bet much on THAT...
UPS can break anything.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: January 02, 2006 10:14PM
Breakage means breakage in the manufacturing process, not after.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 02, 2006 10:15PM
as stated above. . .I learned this as a newbie on half.com.

now I ask if they have the holes. . .also make sure to ask in advance how they pack it. . .

you would be surprised how some people wrap cd/dvd when they ship them. . .

one person just put it in a manilla folder. . .on occasion the outercase would get damaged and sometimes the cd/dvd itself.

I always ask before the auction how they package it and to make sure they use a box and cushioning. If they don't then forget it. . .

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 02, 2006 10:58PM
MacMagus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Since the band isn't making money off the sale
> either way, why do you care whether it was a promo
> copy?

I thought that cut out bins were the same thing as remaindered books: books that the publisher dumps for cheap because they didn't sell very well, and which are marked (usually a black marker on the side of the pages) so that a store can't sell them for full price.

I am not yet convinced that I am wrong about that, either.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 03, 2006 01:41AM
If you are upset with the seller because of the description then you have a right to get your money back, I believe. However, the product is no different than one bought from the store. Only thing to gain would be a nicer looking case and insert.
Date: January 03, 2006 04:57AM
> Also, the discount for breakage and promos is more like 25%.

That's correct. 15% for "free goods"/promos plus 10% for breakage.

> Record clubs print their own copies of the CDs and do pay
> royalties to the band.

Not quite true.

A lot of discs are printed by the record clubs (often using well-worn masters picked up at anonymous private auctions so that there's no way to find out who to charge for mechanicals and so worn out that sound quality is sh!!).

Also, since we're talking about royalties, music clubs traditionally paid no royalties on "free" bonus music (like the buy 3 at regular club price, get 12 for a penny deal), but after a recent lawsuit, they *should* now be acounting for those. And royalty agreements typically pay artists for music club sales at 1/2 the normal rate.

Other discs are untracable "overruns" that are sold at auction. It's not hard to tell the difference between music club CDs that were purchased this way and CDs that were pressed by the club. There's usually a club ID printed over the bar code or an obvious club logo or a "manufactured under license.. by..." statement in an obvious place on the artwork somewhere. If there's no such mark, you have a CD that's probably listed as "destroyed" on the original warehouse bill.
Posted by: samintx
Date: January 03, 2006 06:43AM
also a remainder sign like the black mark thru book ends. Should have listed "remainder" hole or something like that.
Posted by: incognegro
Date: January 03, 2006 08:29AM
MUST be listed as "Acceptable" per half.com's system:

Brand New - A brand new, unused, unopened & undamaged CD, movie or video game in perfect condition. There are no holes or cuts in the barcode or jewel case. The original packaging and all materials are included and in brand new condition.

Like New - Item still in shrink wrap or looks as if it was just taken out of shrink wrap, no wear and tear, all facets of the product are intact.

Very Good - No damage at all to jewel case or item cover (no scuff marks, no scratching, no cracks or holes), cover art and liner notes included, VHS and DVD box included, video game instructions and box included, teeth of disk holder undamaged, minimal wear and tear to exterior of item, no skipping on CD/DVD, no fuzzy/snowy frames on VHS tape.

Good - Minor damage to jewel case (scuffs or cracks) or item cover (scuff marks, scratching, or cracks), cover art and liner notes included for a CD, VHS and DVD box included, video game instructions included, no skipping on CD/DVD, no fuzzy/snowy frames on VHS tape.

Acceptable - Tear or hole in VHS/DVD box, video game instructions and box not included. Promotional CDs.

Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: January 03, 2006 11:08AM
And people wonder why torrents are popular.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 69
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020