advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
[2-stroke] How do you mix gas and oil?
Posted by: Black
Date: July 05, 2012 01:39AM
So, I bought that overpriced Echo that the mr/f demanded I buy.
Got me a 16 oz bottle of synthetic 2-stroke oil with tasty gas stabilizers and such that supposedly makes 6 gallons.
Got me a 5 gallon gas can (or was it 2.5 . . .)
So, what does one use to measure? How do I mix it? Do I pour the oil into the gas or put the oil in the can first? Do I shake it up? Does it automatically mix itself somehow? Does it stay mixed once mixed?

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: [2-stroke] How do you mix gas and oil?
Posted by: Carm
Date: July 05, 2012 01:54AM
[en.wikipedia.org]

Ratio is 50:1 or 2.6oz 2 stroke engine oil per gallon. I usually pour it in a 1 gallon gas tank that I use specifically for my line trimmer. Then I pour the gas into it. (I measured about 2.6 oz water in a measuring cup, poured that into a red solo cup and marked the water line. I used the water line in the solo cup, to measure out the engine oil). It gets mixed pretty well and stays "mixed" in, but I do give it a little shake before I pour it into the line trimmer tank.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2012 01:59AM by Carm.
Posted by: Dik2
Date: July 05, 2012 02:48AM
Put some gas in the can first, then add the oil, seal the can/tank, and mix by rolling side to side, the n add remaining gas.
If you put the oil in an empty tank and then add gas, a lot of the oil will stick to the tank and not mix with the gas completely. Result is insufficient lubrication.
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: July 05, 2012 05:37AM
Dik2
Put some gas in the can first, then add the oil, seal the can/tank, and mix by rolling side to side, the n add remaining gas.
If you put the oil in an empty tank and then add gas, a lot of the oil will stick to the tank and not mix with the gas completely. Result is insufficient lubrication.

...and we all know how painful that can be....

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Posted by: billb
Date: July 05, 2012 05:41AM
I would have gone with a 1 gallon tank
The 2.6 ounce containers for 1 gallon of gas are convenient.
6 gallons seems like a lot of gas
does the Echo want a 20:1 mix for the break-in ?
after that is usually 50:1 or 100:1

gas: what octane does the Echo want ?

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: rgG
Date: July 05, 2012 06:10AM
Get a one gallon container for mixing the gas.

You won't be sorry you bought the Echo.

Did you buy the oil in that cute little squeeze up and it measures it for you bottle?

Just put a gallon of gas in the container, squeeze up the correct amount, pour into container, swish around in the container, you are good to go.

The gas stays mixed, but I usually swish the gas oil mix around in the one gallon container before I pour it in to the trimmer, just to make sure.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: modelamac
Date: July 05, 2012 06:44AM
Go back to the store and buy a 1 gallon container, and at least one of the 2.6 oz 2-stroke oil containers (with oil in it).

You won't use up that gallon in one season. You can re-fill the 2.6 oz container from your quart supply of 2-stroke oil, and the 1 gallon gas container is much easier to carry on your bike.

We have an older Echo unit. Easy to start even after 5+ years. Works well.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: flareslow
Date: July 05, 2012 08:05AM
At the end of the season, remember to empty the gas tank on your Echo and then start the unit and run it until it dies from fuel starvation. If you don't, prepare to pay for a new carburetor next year. Over the winter the gas will evaporate from the mix leaving behind a gummy residue that clogs jets and is next to impossible to remove. I second the Echo recommendations.

Mike
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 05, 2012 08:08AM
CRITICAL NOTE:

Not all 2 stroke engines require the same fuel/ oil mixture. Read the instructions carefully.

Example: My weed whacker wants 32:1. My Stihl chainsaw wants 50:1. My leaf blower wants 22:1. I have to have two separate gas cans. I have a 1 gallon for the weed whacker, and a half gallon for the chainsaw. I used to just put a few drops of oil into the leaf blower gas tank along with the 32:1. Oddly... the engine died after a few years. I wonder why ? confused smileybanghead smiley
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: July 05, 2012 08:16AM
If you can find ethanol free gas for the mix, buy it. Also most guys that run 2 cycle stuff around here say run 93
octane. Even the local dealer where my wife bought a Dolmar trimmer said to use 93 and ethanol free, there's
a few stations around us with ethanol free gas but it comes at a premium price too.

Grateful11
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 05, 2012 08:47AM
....with a flame on.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: freeradical
Date: July 05, 2012 10:18AM
It's amazing what gas and oil ratios modern 2 cycle engines require, especially when synthetic oil is used.
Date: July 05, 2012 10:38AM
freeradical, can you elaborate?

Great great info here al read and appreciated, thanks.

Main take-aways:
-Check for specific ratio required by this machine (was gonna do that anyways as the Troy-Bilt that was borrowed/stolen was 40:1 and the premixed stuff all comes 50:1)
-See if the bottle is the type described by RgG (it is a weird shape . . .)
-be sure to run it dry on last use of the year
-go for high octane and ethanol free gas if available
-put gas in can before adding oil

The smaller container and more expensive smaller oil bottles probably isn't happening, just because going "back to the store" is kind of a major and time-consuming venture, but is good advice.
modelamac, thanks for remembering that I get around by bike :-) Have a large variety of trailers to choose from for errands like this, and several gas stations closeby.

Date: July 05, 2012 10:41AM
Black
freeradical, can you elaborate?

IIRC, the ratio used to be something like 10 or 15 to one for dirt bikes in the 70's.
Date: July 05, 2012 11:44AM
Interesting note in the manual from Echo:

Universal 2-Stroke Oil may be mixed at 50:1 ratio for application in all Echo engines sold in the past regardless of ratio specified in those manuals.

Manual if anyone's interested:
[www.echo-usa.com]

Posted by: testcase
Date: July 05, 2012 11:48AM
A little extra oil will run fine. You might have a bit more smoke. When I took a small engine repair class many years ago, the instructor used a 20:1 gas oil mix in every two cycle engine regardless of what the "recommend" ratio was.
Date: July 05, 2012 11:50AM
testcase
A little extra oil will run fine. You might have a bit more smoke. When I took a small engine repair class many years ago, the instructor used a 20:1 gas oil mix in every two cycle engine regardless of what the "recommend" ratio was.

That certainly makes things simpler for me. I use the whole 16 oz bottle, and then I only need to add gas to the can for the first few years, right? :-)

Posted by: davester
Date: July 05, 2012 08:53PM
The high octane recommendation is a bogus old wives' tale IMHO. The only difference between high and low octane gas is that high octane has additives that make the gas burn slower so that high compression engines don't preignite causing knocking or pinging. That is completely irrelevant for a small engine, and the high octane gas even has less energy per gallon than low octane due to substitution of additives for gas.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: July 05, 2012 09:58PM
davester
The high octane recommendation is a bogus old wives' tale IMHO. The only difference between high and low octane gas is that high octane has additives that make the gas burn slower so that high compression engines don't preignite causing knocking or pinging. That is completely irrelevant for a small engine, and the high octane gas even has less energy per gallon than low octane due to substitution of additives for gas.

Got it. Here's what manual says:
Use 89 Octane unleaded. Do not use fuel containing methyl alcohol, more than 10% ethyl alcohol or 15% MTBE. Do not use
alternative fuels such as E-15 or E-85.
I haven't made it to the gas station today but still may in the next 2 hours.

Date: July 05, 2012 09:59PM
And-- it's a 2.5 gal gas can. This lot takes quite a while to clear so it's easily conceivable I'll go through 2 gal by the end of the season.

And yes, it's the special measuring oil bottle! Yay!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2012 10:00PM by Black.
Posted by: rgG
Date: July 05, 2012 11:27PM
I love those little squeeze and measure bottles. Glad that is what you bought.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: July 06, 2012 09:50AM
Black
davester

Use 89 Octane unleaded. Do not use fuel containing methyl alcohol, more than 10% ethyl alcohol or 15% MTBE. Do not use

Alcohol is a horrible fuel additive. It attracts moisture which then causes corrosion.
Date: July 06, 2012 09:52AM
freeradical
Black
davester

Alcohol is a horrible fuel additive. It attracts moisture which then causes corrosion.

I always thought the downside was that it caused rubber gaskets to harden.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 117
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020