advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Who knows cool around here? ... (low temp SATA laptop drive)
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 19, 2012 09:52PM
Looking to find the coolest running laptop SATA drive to put in optical bay of pre-unibody Santa Rosa MBP. Existing 7200 RPM Seagate 200GB runs pretty roasty-toasty, so am hesitant to (read that; absofrickinlutely will not) move it to the optical bay in conjunction w/ putting a small SSD in the primary drive bay, plus it's kinda small these days. I have a decent collection of 5400 & 7200 RPM laptop SATA drives ranging from 250GB to 750GB, and have been thinking of going at least 500GB.

OTOH, if the SSD is the main drive, will the optical bay drive run cooler anyway, since it's not being used as much? Then again, its main purpose is for handing data, primarily photos and videos, so the there will be a fair amount use when loading and off-loading up to around 30GB of data at a time. The existing Seagate more than gets one's attention after such a data transfer; I don't want anything close, heat wise, in the optical bay. I assume there may be differences between different size drives of the same make/model. If the super-coolest drive is only 320GB, I could probably live w/ that; 500GB is more of a desire than a necessity. Coolness is the necessity-- hypersensitive, nerve damaged hands don't play nice w/ hot laptops.

Real life experience please, not anecdotal comments from Uncle Fred or Aunt Muriel. Some drives seem to run hotter than others all the time, and some that run cool at idle/low use get fried egg hot under load, whereas others that start warmer don't get as hot under load. Just lookin' for the coolest all-around laptop SATA drive. Please name that make/model/size drive.

Thanks!

///

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Who knows cool around here? ... (low temp SATA laptop drive)
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: July 19, 2012 09:58PM
Don't put money into a pre-unibody MBP. They run like cold @#$%&. Put a fast SSD in there and it'll still run like cold @#$%&... with decent boot times.

Save your money and get a new laptop.
Date: July 19, 2012 10:33PM
Got a new one... just want to keep taking the old one on the road, when the destination is somewhat tenuous. Yes, quad i7 kicks C2D's butt, but Santa Rosa still functions, so looking to extend its life for a little longer.

///

==
Posted by: Gareth
Date: July 19, 2012 10:40PM
Side note: I believe the pre-unibodies use PATA optical drives, so be sure to get an optical bay hard drive mount that has a SATA to PATA adapter built-in.
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: July 19, 2012 10:50PM
Drives with fewer platters generate less heat.

Thin drives generally have fewer platters at greater capacity per platter than thick/tall drives.

A 7mm 500gb drive will probably run much cooler than a 9.5mm 500gb drive... So this should run pretty cool.

Blow the dust out of your MBP with some canned air and wipe the gunk off of the speaker grills while you're swapping drives and it'll probably run much cooler from that alone.

And the SSD should go in the primary drive-bay. They run surprisingly hot and that's where it'd probably get the best cooling.
Posted by: hal
Date: July 19, 2012 10:58PM
Gareth
Side note: I believe the pre-unibodies use PATA optical drives, so be sure to get an optical bay hard drive mount that has a SATA to PATA adapter built-in.

really, really wrong there... - SATA all the way back until you get to the old Powerbooks
Posted by: p8712
Date: July 19, 2012 11:15PM
hal
Gareth

really, really wrong there... - SATA all the way back until you get to the old Powerbooks

No, SATA for Hard drives, PATA connection for the optical drives.
Posted by: hal
Date: July 19, 2012 11:25PM
oops - ima dingbat...
Date: July 19, 2012 11:46PM
Yes, definitely PATA in optical bay, so PATA to SATA bay adapter is what will be used. The thin Hitachi makes logical sense. Small [90-120GB] SSD intended for primary [SATA] bay. Gotta keep it cool, really cool.

///

==
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 71
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020