advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Rolling Stones ticket prices!!!!!!
Posted by: JPK
Date: July 26, 2006 04:12PM
The Stones just announced another visit back to Chicago this fall. It has been years since I saw them last and thought it may be kind of fun to check them one last time before one of them "checks out" for good.

Amex sent me an email that I buy tickets before the common people can, so I logged on and started looking. The cheapest seats were $60 (+ an unreasonable handling charge + shipping) and were in the nose blead seats at Soldier Field. The next level was $99 and while they were at a more reasonable altitude, were still out in the boonies or parallel to the stage. $165 a seat got me down to the "100 level". The $450 seats showed none available, but I assume that got you on the "Field".

I am not that old, but this is ridiculous! Not to mention parking of probably $20 and a hand full of beers at $7.50 for each 16oz cup.

Who can afford this kind of event? I guess even if you could afford it, is it worth it?

My first concert was in 1980. I saw Van Halen (The real VH) at UIC Circle Campus for $10.50 each with two other buddies and my older cousin who could drive.

It would easily cost $500-$600 (when you add in dinner and a baby sitter!) to see the Rolling Stones.

I guess I will just wait for the concert DVD for $18.99 (no ticketmaster service charge - just sales tax).

Hey, maybe I can apply that saved $600 to my new Macbook savings fund!

JPK
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Rolling Stones ticket prices!!!!!!
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 26, 2006 04:17PM
yup. ..and those ticketmaster charges are ridiculous. . ..

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 26, 2006 04:30PM
Just wait a year or two and see them in the afterlife.

Posted by: JoeBob
Date: July 26, 2006 04:46PM
I have to agree about the rising ticket prices, and don't get me started on "ticketb@stard".
Convenience charges, I think they meant "extra profit" charges.

Reminds me of a local car dealer that used to charge "ADP" on popular models.
I asked the salesman what "ADP" stood for, and he candidly admitted- Additional Dealer Profit.
I took my business elsewhere. Same with concerts lately, I use the money to add to my cd collection.
Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: July 26, 2006 04:49PM
Springsteen in '78 at the Charlotte Coliseum. Seven bucks on the night of the show for pretty decent seats and it was only 2/3rds sold out. And he probably made money on that tour. I wish someone would break down the economics of concerts that explains such an incredible increase in prices over the last 30 years. Were they just losing their shirts back then and the prices now are more reasonable or is someone making out like a bandit? Used to be, a concert cost about 1-2 times the price of a record/CD and that seemed about right. Now, I'd rather pay $20 to see a band in some hole-in-the-wall bar.
Posted by: Steinbock
Date: July 26, 2006 04:49PM
Yup, the numbers for concert tickets are totaly ridiculous today.
I saw them in RFK stadium with Stevie Wonder & Martha & Vadellas
for around 6 bucks.
(1971 tour)
Posted by: billb
Date: July 26, 2006 04:59PM
I remember a breakdown of prices at some band's site.
Biggest number I recall that didn't exist in 70's was insurance.
It was fairly surprising what it cost to put on an event at one of those venues.
Posted by: DavidS
Date: July 26, 2006 05:06PM
I saw the Steel Wheels tour at GA Tech's stadium. Living Color opened and it's still one of the top 10 concerts that I've seen. I don't remember the price of the tickets but I was in college and a bunch of us got tickets. If were able to all afford them, they weren't too expensive (I'm thinking about $50 for good seats).

I thought about getting tickets to see them when they were in Atlanta, but can't justify those prices.

Didn't we just have a similar thread about someone else very recently?

yep...
[forums.macresource.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2006 05:07PM by DavidS.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: July 26, 2006 05:08PM
I think ticket prices are horrible these days, and I've only been going to shows for a decade. One local venue charges $10 per ticket for parking. If you load 10 people up in a van, it's $100. If you get dropped off, it's $10. That's just messed up. I refuse to go to any shows there and let the bands I like know that I am disappointed in them for picking a venue that gouges their fans.

That said, the price for stones tickets does seem justified considering this:
[www.sharedresponsibility.gov.co]

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: July 26, 2006 05:22PM
I went to a Paul McCartney concert and thought my ticket prices were silly, but the people sitting next to me had paid quadruple through a scalper.

The way the music industry works today, the artists don't make money by selling albums. They make money touring. I won't begrudge Paul McCartney or the Rolling Stones or Jimmy Buffet for charging as much as they can get away with.

Still, though, the handling charges should be reigned in. Sometimes they're nothing less than fraudulent.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 26, 2006 05:24PM
Rent the Gimme Shelter DVD and forget the concert.

It is what it is.
Date: July 26, 2006 05:48PM
Mike Johnson
The way the music industry works today, the artists don't make money by selling albums. They make money touring. I won't begrudge Paul McCartney or the Rolling Stones or Jimmy Buffet for charging as much as they can get away with.

Mike, I know that's a common belief so I'm not picking on you with this...

Artists make as much as they want on CDs. The whole "the way the industry works" isn't true. First of all, artists with publishers choose how much they make off each album. Sure it may only be 40¢ an album, and if they didn't write their own stuff or perform it they'll make even less. Some make 80¢, some make $1. So multiply that by 10,000,000 copies sold... and don't tell me that constitutes "not making money."

If they don't make any money off of album sales it's either because their album didn't sell or they signed a bad contract.

Some artists become their own publisher. They cut out the label and make a significant chunk of change per disc.

Also, artists can do MUCH more than play shows or sell records. Some make millions annually off of what basically amounts to product sales. They find out what their audience likes, and they provide products the fans can buy. So if an artist go scammed into a bad contract, and they only charge $20 for a concert ticket, they can still easily generate significant revenue.

Some create non-profits and play shows on its behalf so their revenue isn't taxable. Some take the money they make an invest it and make more money off that than concert tickets. Some get creative with their licensing.

They don't need to rake their fans over the coals, but some do. IMHO, if a band you like charges too much for you to go, they telling you they don't want you as a fan.

Posted by: hal
Date: July 26, 2006 06:45PM
I happen to know that 'Moon River' nets $200,000/yr TODAY in royalties.

CAn you imagine how much McCartney makes in a year on royalties alone?
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: July 26, 2006 07:05PM
You know a lot more about it than I do, so I defer to you on this.
Posted by: blooz
Date: July 26, 2006 07:16PM
Could be costs and insurance would go down if a band didn't insist on having a truckful of lights, stages, special effects and the attendant roadies to handle it all.

Used to be, back in the day, when this old fogey went to concerts, (you LISTENING, you whippersnappers?) it was to hear the band. Sometimes they'd have one of those spinning reflective balls flashing lights around and we'd sit there with dilated pupils going, "Oh wow man". Now you need big screens and helicopters or something and enough lights to power a 3rd world country.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2006 07:17PM by blooz.
Posted by: incognegro
Date: July 26, 2006 08:00PM
i paid half face value for a ticket for the Bridges to Babylon tour.

of course, i had to wait until the opening band was finished (didn't want to see Blues Traveler anyway) and the Rolling Bones were about to start. a few latecomers with an extra ticket either took what i had (really only had $30 cash on me) or ate the whole cost of the ticket.

if you're willing to not see the show, go without a ticket and ignore the scalpers; play the waiting game.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: July 26, 2006 08:28PM
the stones have to pay for the defibrillators they tour with now.

drinking smiley

barbara streisand is coming to phillips arena here in atlanta. (think hockey/basketball size venue.) a friend of a friend received a ticket as a birthday present from her sister. the sister could only afford the cheapest seat - $350. the most expensive seat was $750. the venue sold out within hours of the tickets going on sale.

MAVIC - i think you're oversimplifying the money thing. nobody gets to 'choose' how much they make, it's a negotiation point. if you don't have weight you can't negotiate for very much. even with publishing, the record company can negotiate for lower than the statutory rate and they usually do. and before the artist ever sees a dime, the charges for making and promoting the album are recouped by the record company. with enough fancy bookkeeping on the record companies part, this can run past a million easy for a major act.

i'm probably oversimplifying also but the picture is pretty complex. at any rate, i still don't get why live ticket prices have to be so prohibitive.
Date: July 26, 2006 08:44PM
graylocks
barbara streisand is coming to phillips arena here in atlanta. (think hockey/basketball size venue.) a friend of a friend received a ticket as a birthday present from her sister. the sister could only afford the cheapest seat - $350. the most expensive seat was $750. the venue sold out within hours of the tickets going on sale.

This, in a nutshell, is why ticket prices are so high: Because people will pay them.

It is what it is.
Date: July 26, 2006 08:55PM
graylocks
MAVIC - i think you're oversimplifying the money thing. nobody gets to 'choose' how much they make, it's a negotiation point. if you don't have weight you can't negotiate for very much. even with publishing, the record company can negotiate for lower than the statutory rate and they usually do. and before the artist ever sees a dime, the charges for making and promoting the album are recouped by the record company. with enough fancy bookkeeping on the record companies part, this can run past a million easy for a major act.

i'm probably oversimplifying also but the picture is pretty complex. at any rate, i still don't get why live ticket prices have to be so prohibitive.

That's why I pointed out that record sales through a third-party publisher is only one avenue artists have for revenue. So they get a bad record deal because they didn't ask anyone who knew, big deal. It's happened to big bands and have still turned around and made millions without resulting to charging huge ticket prices.

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 26, 2006 09:07PM
actually, where bands make most of their money is through merchandise sales, like T-shirts and (used to be, pins) mouse pads, junk like that. small bands make almost no money at all, unless they can glom onto a tour with a decent name band and even then it's a very small amount of money in the big picture.
Posted by: Stephanie
Date: July 26, 2006 10:34PM
quite a few bands are now offering "VIP packages" where you're guaranteed a seat within certain rows. Often these packages are at different price levels. The better the row, the more you pay. I guess the bands are finally scalping themselves.

If it's someone I REALLY want to see, I'll pay the price to have a good seat. Of course, to date, there've only been two bands I've paid high prices for good seats, VIP packages, etc.

But then, I know how I am & I'm very particular about where I'm sitting. I won't enjoy seeing certain bands if I'm not relatively close. Since I'm not all that tall, I hate getting stuck in seats towards the middle or the back of the venue & then having tall guys stand in front of me (always happens). Definitely rather pay more for a better view.

I also think of it this way - if you go to Vegas, even mediocre shows cost an arm & a leg.

I saw the Stones, McCartney, Eagles, Rod Stewart & others over a decade ago while I was in college. In each case, I was in the nosebleed seating & I remember then that those seats were pretty expensive.
Posted by: incognegro
Date: July 26, 2006 11:12PM
life's too short to go to mediocre shows, right steph?

i saw Bowie twice, once my seats were far & dismal.
2nd time i was within 30 feet of the stage, and i enjoyed it immensely.
smaller venue, standing room on floor (Electric Factory in Philly)

tiny venues rock - saw Ice-T/Body Count at CBGBs, a few great bands at Maxwell's in Hoboken NJ, and others at the Khyber Pass in Philly.
Posted by: decocritter
Date: July 27, 2006 01:00AM
I don't go to those large concert venues anymore. Never liked them much.

I go to things at places likeThe Tabernacle where you can get within a few feet of the stage and actually see the folks play. I saw Lucinda Williams and it was great. I like the venues where You can stand close to the stage and dance if you want. I hate to sit down at that kind of show.
Date: July 27, 2006 02:47AM
decocritter
I go to things at places likeThe Tabernacle where you can get within a few feet of the stage and actually see the folks play. I saw Lucinda Williams and it was great. I like the venues where You can stand close to the stage and dance if you want. I hate to sit down at that kind of show.

I saw Cassandra Wilson at the Knitting Factory in Hollywood a few years back. How close to the stage was I? I was leaning against one of her speakers for the entire show.

Small venues rock. :-)

It is what it is.
Posted by: brofoski
Date: July 27, 2006 01:03PM
incognegro
tiny venues rock - saw Ice-T/Body Count at CBGBs, a few great bands at Maxwell's in Hoboken NJ, and others at the Khyber Pass in Philly.

Agreed--- I saw Body Count at the Coconut Teaser here in Hollywood, with a crowd of about fifty. I still have two Beatmaster V (RIP) drumsticks.
Date: July 27, 2006 02:40PM
I don't care what size the show is, as long as I get a photo or working pass.

Posted by: bruceko
Date: July 27, 2006 09:12PM
Madonna requires that the venue have a new toilet seat installed every evening so there won't be any germs.
I wouldn't go to her concert anyway but I am not paying for tiolet seat either.
Posted by: maco
Date: July 28, 2006 01:02AM
When I went to the US festival, the price was $15.00

[www.woz.org]

[sohodojo.com]

Cal Jam cost me $10.00

[www.californiajam.com]

Going to my 2nd Red Rocks Concert next week. Steely Dan/Michael McDonald - Monday Night.

Date: July 28, 2006 03:07AM
Wow -- Ontario Motor Speedway. There's a name I haven't heard in a long while.

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 106
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020