google's first BIG mis-step?
Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: January 03, 2006 11:00AM
[www.theregister.co.uk]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: google's first BIG mis-step?
Posted by: davester
Date: January 03, 2006 11:05AM
If true, then it is a Big step. Whether it is a misstep or and upward step is unclear. There are some pretty smart cookies at google who think about the whole package, not just the hardware and software. I would hazard a guess that they wouldn't make such a leap without extensive analysis of the pros and cons.
Posted by: JEBB
Date: January 03, 2006 11:07AM
They succeeded with search engines where others failed. If they bring a new, right idea to the table and execute it, maybe they can succeed. If they try, it will be interesting.
Posted by: microchip13
Date: January 03, 2006 11:08AM
Wow.

If this actually happens I'll be impressed.

I wish Google wouldn't do this(Go into the actual end user computing market) but it's been inevitable.

Why walmart?

Even then, while I'm not wanting another OS, I'll be perfectly happy with a dethroned Microsoft.

Just because it has two clutches, shifts faster, uses a torque converter or has near-infinite gear ratios, requires less driver intervention and is more efficient doesn't make it better in my opinion.
Save The Manual Transmission
Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: January 03, 2006 11:13AM
Yes, I was referring to the WM link, more than the computer.

Seems so many 'bright' people loath wal-mart, it would not be a good fit for a company that prides itself on being full of 'bright' people.

Kinda like oil and water: Google and WM. Do airlines even fly to and fro google/WM? smiling smiley
Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 03, 2006 11:13AM
I frankly do not see any point to it. All the arguments why people don't buy Apple computers will apply, squared.
Posted by: Tofer
Date: January 03, 2006 11:23AM
$tevie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I frankly do not see any point to it. All the
> arguments why people don't buy Apple computers
> will apply, squared.

I agree, to a point, although as much as we might not like it, Google is a hotter brand than Apple right now, and I could foresee a lot of Windows users go to a Google OS before OS X. This sort of thing may prompt Apple to push OS X onto generic intel boxes, though, and then it's a different story.

I expect that if Google does develop an OS, it will be snazzy and have better functionality than XP and possibly OS X. They demonstrated this with Google Maps, which kicks Mapquest's butt. They also demonstrated it with GMail, which kicks Hotmail's (and Yahoo mail's) butt. Google is smart enough and has creative enough engineers to do it right.

-Tofer

Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: January 03, 2006 11:48AM
Another link; maybe a repeat

[gadgets.fosfor.se]
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 03, 2006 11:57AM
I think it might work. So, the Wal-Marters are like dogs who will eat whatever you put in their bowl, their are lots of them.

If Google-PCs get them on the internet where Google is waiting for them and they can play solitaire and games and maybe emulate windows, what else do they need? I imagine there be be programs similar to iPhoto and iTunes connected in with Wal-Mart photo finishing and Wal-Mart music.

If it is "just good enough", there is a ready-made market that will be bigger than Apple's and it should be able to sustain itself, if not evenrival Microsoft.
Date: January 03, 2006 12:16PM
Didn't Wal-Mart try this with their own PC a few years ago, with some Windows emulation OS?
Posted by: pRON aHOLIC
Date: January 03, 2006 12:30PM
If you want a reputation for being evil and cheap, Walmart is a great partner.
Posted by: Silencio
Date: January 03, 2006 12:55PM
Yes, Wal*Mart pushed PCs running Lindows for a while; not that you see loads of people out there running Lindows or anything. It will take years and years for even a company that sells as much crap as Wal*Mart to get enough PCs running "its" OS out there to make a dent in the marketshare pie chart.

Google already has Picasa, which is similar to iPhoto, if not better in a number of ways. If they want an iTunes clone, they can opt for Songbird, which is an intriguing platform but still months from actual release.

I would be curious how they would approach the GUI shell: KDE, Gnome, or their own creation? How about an office suite?

I have no doubt Google could produce a Linux-based OS and set of bundled apps that's very competitive with Windows or Mac OS X, but to do so in such a short timeframe appears highly unrealistic to me. This is a much more difficult trick than doing a web-based map browser or email system.
Posted by: OWC Larry
Date: January 03, 2006 01:02PM
What will add interest to this is how Sun and Google are currently collaberating.

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: January 03, 2006 01:07PM
They were selling Lindows PC's. The company is now called Linspire [linspire.com]

"Linspire is a computer operating system like Windows XP & Mac OS X - but more secure and affordable."

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 03, 2006 01:43PM
Yeah but Lindows is nothing compared to Google. Google has name-recognition, money, cutting-edge talent, desire and all. Lindows just sat there.

If it works "just good enough", like I said earlier - Boom! - it will take off with WM's ready-made hoards of poor people with what money they have left burning holes in their pockets.

It doesn't matter what Apple snobs or NY Times snobs or anyone else says. If the WMers perceive there will be less virus and spyware problems and if the machine does whatever these people want of it, it could succeed.
Posted by: Guitarman
Date: January 03, 2006 02:36PM
I saw a thing on TV a while ago regarding a guy trying to develop $100 laptops. Now if Google gets their price point down to something like that, look out Apple.

I believe a Google developed OS would be a real competitor to Apple. And believe me, to Joe Sixpack, 99% of America, well they are less interested in Walmart and more interested in price and function.

Date: January 03, 2006 05:06PM
What Guitarman and Dennis said. There's a reason Windows took off (cheap clones), the VHS beat out Beta (more time, who cares about quality), etc.

Posted by: såmmy
Date: January 03, 2006 07:23PM
Is anybody else worried about the googlization of the internet like I am? Google is into a lot more things than I originally thought:

Alerts- Receive news and search results via email
Local- Find local businesses and services
Answers- Ask a question, set a price, get an answer
Maps- View maps and get directions
Blog Search- Find blogs on your favorite topics
Mobile- Use Google on your mobile phone
Book Search- Search the full text of books
News Search- thousands of news stories
Catalogs- Search and browse mail-order catalogs
Scholar- Search scholarly papers
Directory- Browse the web by topic
SMS- Use text messaging for quick info
Froogle- Shop smarter with Google
Special Searches- Search within specific topics
Groups- Create mailing lists and discussion groups
University Search- Search a specific school's website
Images- Search for images on the web
Web Search- Search over billions of web pages
Blogger- Express yourself online
Local for mobile- View maps and get directions on your phone
Code- Download APIs and open source code
Picasa- Find, edit and share your photos
Desktop- Info when you want it, right on your desktop
Google Talk- IM and call your friends through your computer
Google Earth- Explore the world from your PC
Toolbar- Add a search box to your browser
Gmail- A Google approach to email
Translate Tool- View web pages in other languages

And who knows what else is brewing behind the scenes. They haven't been malignant yet, but who is to say that they wouldn't become so in the future.

såmmy
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: January 03, 2006 08:29PM
Maybe they'll come with just a bare OS and AOL smiling smiley

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 03, 2006 11:13PM
if they do it well and it does what i want, i have no real attachment to apple, i'll check it out - my family doesn't work at apple and i don't own their stock. i'm always looking for a good thing for short money.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 79
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020