Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
"iPods have 4-year life" - Apple Computer
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: July 27, 2006 08:51PM
[www.macworld.co.uk]

Apple spokeswoman Natalie Kerris assured the newspaper that iPods have a failure rate of less than 5 per cent, which she called "fairly low" compared with other consumer electronics.

"The vast majority of our customers are extremely happy with their iPods," she said, adding that an iPod is designed to last four years.

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "iPods have 4-year life" - Apple Computer
Posted by: The Grim Ninja
Date: July 27, 2006 08:54PM
I have a 2g iPod still working pretty well since June of 2003. That's 3 years.

It all depends on how you treat them.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 27, 2006 08:57PM
and then there is me.......4 in 2 years. Good thing I had Applecare.
Posted by: bfd
Date: July 27, 2006 09:05PM
That's funny, bfd is looking at two right now, both dead as doorstops, they have dead FW ports. Totally unredeemable.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: July 27, 2006 09:21PM
That's about right for modern consumer electronics that get handled and used as hard as the iPod...

Not saying I agree with the policy of making consumer goods with a planned life-span.. but that IS about right.

Personally, I'd like to see the "Armored iPod" line... pay $350, and you can run over it with a truck and it'll still work... snap-covers over all the ports, REAL titanium case, with rubber isolation between the case and the gooey innards... micro HD on rubber mounts... 1mm polycarbonate LCD cover...

Never happen... unless the DoD adopts the iPod and sets down a "Mil-Spec" for it...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: July 27, 2006 09:39PM
Paul F.
Personally, I'd like to see the "Armored iPod" line... pay $350, and you can run over it with a truck and it'll still work... snap-covers over all the ports, REAL titanium case, with rubber isolation between the case and the gooey innards... micro HD on rubber mounts... 1mm polycarbonate LCD cover...

Never happen... unless the DoD adopts the iPod and sets down a "Mil-Spec" for it...

It was called the iPod mini.
Also, MilSpec is crap, I worked aerospace.
MilSpec always meant "The government wants the device to survive a ground zero nuclear blast, till they get the estimate."

BGnR
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: July 27, 2006 10:11PM
Crap, 4 year life? I've used mine a dozen times in the last year. I had better start using it...

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: mikebw
Date: July 27, 2006 11:01PM
Well my 1st gen iPod is still hanging in there, sorta. Seems like it will charge about 20% of the time, the unit still functions when on external power, but for some reason even with a new battery it doesn't like charging anymore.
Posted by: Carm
Date: July 27, 2006 11:12PM
Harbourmaster
snip..
"The vast majority of our customers are extremely happy with their iPods," she said, adding that an iPod is designed to last four years.

Maybe she meant for years. With all the refurbs and stories I've read. I doubt an iPod would last for four years.

Carm
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: July 27, 2006 11:26PM
I'll add that with the adition of a NewerTech replacement battery last year (the original was down to about 3-4hrs of runtime) my Gen 2 10 gig iPod is still going strong and I use it almost every day!

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: July 27, 2006 11:30PM
Harbourmaster
...she said, adding that an iPod is designed to last four years.

Try again: "...she said, adding that an iPod is designed to last for years."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2006 11:30PM by Article Accelerator.
Posted by: maco
Date: July 28, 2006 12:32AM
No problems with my 2nd generation iPod. Battery still works fine.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 28, 2006 01:48AM
once again, I refer you to " and then there is me.......4 in 2 years. Good thing I had Applecare."

of all the apple hardware I have purchased in the last 8 years, all have been worked on or replaced at least once under warranty. 11 invoices for 3 pieces of hardware under warranty. you do the math......
Posted by: Jp!
Date: July 28, 2006 06:42AM
Apple's executive's statements are only as reliable as the data on which they are founded.

Have all of you reported your failed iPods to them? Send them to Natalie Kerris and she'll get the message.
Posted by: bryanus
Date: July 28, 2006 10:28AM
You could salvage the drives if they work fine and sell 'em on ebay....

bfd
That's funny, bfd is looking at two right now, both dead as doorstops, they have dead FW ports. Totally unredeemable.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: July 28, 2006 11:51AM
Carm
Harbourmaster
snip..

Maybe she meant for years.

I'm inclined to believe she meant "for years", too. Even if it was true that the iPod is designed to last 4 years, I doubt that anyone from Apple would be saying it out loud. Especially since we know they like to wait until hundreds of complaints are posted all over the internet before they admit to anything. So they wouldn't admit this until we had already seen plenty of articles about iPods dying like flies. :-D

Posted by: Jp!
Date: July 28, 2006 12:04PM
I think she is a golfer and said fore years.
Posted by: Silencio
Date: July 28, 2006 04:03PM
I really think iPods are designed to last four score and seven years.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 120
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020