advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Power Washer Advice Needed... how much PSI is enough ?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 09, 2012 10:15AM
So the cbelt3 household little Karcher electric power washer has bit the dust after 5 years, and I'm looking at needing something bigger for some larger jobs. Time for a gas engine powered device.

The local Sam's club has two different models in the 'reasonable' price range (Less than $300).

One for $149 that gives me 2100 psi, and a generic B&S Engine.
And one for $299 that gives me 2700 psi and a Honda Engine.

Do I really need 2700 psi ? I do like the Honda Engine, though. Their small engine reliability is legendary... the rental companies that buy our machines insist on the small Honda engines.

Applications are:

General cleaning (vinyl siding, deck, car engines, concrete and block floors and driveways)
Possible alternate use as a chemical sprayer (bug spray on the trees, etc..)
Knocking down loose paint on the outside of a house to be painted.
Stripping paint off an iron railing at the same house

( I know enough to work farther away on applications like vinyl siding, deck, and car washing.)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Power Washer Advice Needed... how much PSI is enough ?
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: August 09, 2012 10:28AM
Honda vs B&S is a toss up unless you are using it commercially. Hondas are nice but parts are a bit more expensive. B&S it depends on the engine series - some better than others, but parts are usually cheap and readily available.

The thing that I would research is manufacturer and model. I see lots of used pressure washers that look good and the engines run fine, but have a leaky pump. Lots of the cheaper ones use plastic in the wear parts instead of brass like more expensive models. I have passed on many "nice" used PW's after checking on the availability of pump rebuild kits and price. My gut feeling is regardless of motor the more expensive one has a better pump.

Also check to see if they come with individual interchangeable spray tips or have a adjustable wand. The adjustable are OK for general usage but interchangeable tips give more control for jobs like stripping paint. I'll bet the cheap one has a wand and the better one has tips.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2012 10:30AM by lafinfil.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 09, 2012 10:49AM
'fil- yep, you're right. The better one has a brass pump, the cheaper one does not. The better on has a 'dial a pattern' tip. And it's a fast on/off fitting to change it. The cheaper one.. nope.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going with the more expensive model. It should last me the rest of my (hopefully long) life.
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 09, 2012 10:50AM
if cost is not ain issue, I would go with honda
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: August 09, 2012 10:54AM
cbelt3
'fil- yep, you're right. The better one has a brass pump, the cheaper one does not. The better on has a 'dial a pattern' tip. And it's a fast on/off fitting to change it. The cheaper one.. nope.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going with the more expensive model. It should last me the rest of my (hopefully long) life.

The better pump will more than pay for itself in terms of longevity - rebuild kits can run $75 and up and a plastic pump will probably still leak. The Honda is just icing on the cake!

Posted by: modelamac
Date: August 09, 2012 11:01AM
lafinfil
cbelt3

The better pump will more than pay for itself in terms of longevity - rebuild kits can run $75 and up and a plastic pump will probably still leak. The Honda is just icing on the cake!

Good advice. When it comes to tools, spending more for the higher quality always pays off in the long run.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: davester
Date: August 09, 2012 12:06PM
As to the original question, psi is not a relevant measure of pressure washer effectiveness (although it is used to good effect by the marketing departments). It is much more important to know the gallons per minute output.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 09, 2012 12:23PM
psi = voltage
flow = amperage

I think both are important. you can get high flow from a garden hose, but you can't clean much with it.
Posted by: flareslow
Date: August 09, 2012 01:25PM
I looked at the Sam's models last time I was there, and noticed the Honda engines were all GC models. See the explanation below

Honda GC vx GX

I am looking for a GX powered 2500-3000 psi machine.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: August 09, 2012 01:38PM
Got a Northern Tool nearby?

[www.northerntool.com]

I like this one, it's electric but it's built to the same standards of good gas washer.

[www.northerntool.com]

Grateful11
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: August 09, 2012 01:41PM
flareslow
I looked at the Sam's models last time I was there, and noticed the Honda engines were all GC models. See the explanation below

Honda GC vx GX

I am looking for a GX powered 2500-3000 psi machine.

The better quality engines are made in Thialland and the lower quality here in the US, seems a bit odd.

"For commercial use, Honda warranties the GX-series engines for 36 months and the GC engine for 3 months.
GX-series engines are generally made in Thailand but GC-series engines are made in the USA (Swepsonville, North Carolina)."

Grateful11
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: August 10, 2012 12:22PM
I would say 1800 on up, from my personal experience, takes care of most all needs. You can find some electrics with this (most are 1600), but it takes a taxing on those units and are very prone to overheating. I've had a couple that were exactly that.

The $149 for 2100 is a great price for an engine-based model.

Posted by: Herrick9
Date: January 31, 2013 01:10PM
Ok, short and sweet w/o enuf techno blab as I'm more results driven anyway...

Needed P/W for non-commercial use that would remove black-spore mold from various and sundried spots around residence here in Southwest Florida (SWF)
Ya we know a thing or two about mold here given tropical climate etc...
I had borrowed a few over the years but the electrically powered ones were largely underpowered for my tasks and took too long.

I read-re-read and given my budget took the plunge on a 3000 psi/2.4 gpm powered by a small Honda gas engine (190cc) Simpson model MSV3024 was purchase at Costco for $299.00. It comes with the triaxial pump and while it's not brass or a CAT appears to be adequate for my needs. How long it will last or remain effective I'll leave to the experts that frequent these forums...
Set-up was a breeze and whether you choose to believe it or not the damn thing started on the first pull.....My first outing lasted five hours more or less and simply stopped for gas refills and water-breaks....Again it started up immediately after each refill...

Everything remained in tact, didn't break and doesn't appear to have become fatigued at this juncture anyway.....
Purchased it at Costco for the simple reason that they have always made good on my purchases over a twenty-year period no matter where I was in the country....
The people running the warehouse here in Naples Fl. are exceptional and more than willing to please. And no, I don't work for Costco nor am interested in doing so...
Nothing more than a somewhat regular customer that can't resist the occasional hot dog and Diet-Coke for $1.59 along with other great provision values....

So there you have it as I know it after the maiden voyage of the MSV3024.
Pretty happy camper here....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 122
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020