advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
wifi signal lost by macs upon sleep
Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: August 09, 2012 05:17PM
Recently moved and set up our networks as follows: Cable Phone/Internet modem to Apple Extreme. Ethernet wired to Apple TV and wifi connection to 3 macs, 2 iMacs and 1 MBA. The computers lose the connection to the wifi upon sleeping and so each time we come back to our computers, we have to select the router all over again. Shouldn't this just happen by itself?

Using 10.8 (just upgraded) but I think it also happened in Lion.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: wifi signal lost by macs upon sleep
Posted by: Black
Date: August 09, 2012 05:28PM
I'm still having this all the time in Lion and in Snow Lepoard. Usually just turning Airport off and back on gets it going.
Have not been able to solve it. (Asus router here.)

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 09, 2012 06:24PM
remove all WiFi entries for that particular router, do this in network preferences, and also in keychain (and look in all keychains, login and system). Most of the time this solves the issue.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: August 09, 2012 06:42PM
It could be a router issue as well. Try it with an Apple router.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: August 09, 2012 06:47PM
Sorry, I don't understand this. Do you mean from Airport Utility or in Network Settings? If the latter, I don't see any wifi entries??

space-time
remove all WiFi entries for that particular router, do this in network preferences, and also in keychain (and look in all keychains, login and system). Most of the time this solves the issue.
Date: August 09, 2012 06:48PM
C(-)ris
It could be a router issue as well. Try it with an Apple router.
It IS an Apple Airport Extreme...
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: August 09, 2012 06:53PM
Missed that. Saw Asus. Is the firmware up to date on the Extreme?

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: August 09, 2012 06:55PM
C(-)ris
Missed that. Saw Asus. Is the firmware up to date on the Extreme?

How do I do that please?
Date: August 09, 2012 06:56PM
MartyStickle
Sorry, I don't understand this. Do you mean from Airport Utility or in Network Settings? If the latter, I don't see any wifi entries??

space-time

System Preferences -> Network, click on Airport, then on Advanced, again on Airport tab, and under Preferred Networks. remove all entries (click on MINUS sign)

Date: August 09, 2012 06:58PM
Chris,

When checking Airport utility, I note I have "check for updates when opening" checked. No updates were listed. Is that what you mean?
Date: August 09, 2012 07:02PM
OK. There was one network there and it was an unsecured network I used to use when I lived on top of a mountain without neighbors. I secured the network now that I'm in civilization. Anyway, i deleted that network and we'll see what happens now.

Thanks.

space-time
MartyStickle

space-time

System Preferences -> Network, click on Airport, then on Advanced, again on Airport tab, and under Preferred Networks. remove all entries (click on MINUS sign)

Date: August 09, 2012 07:03PM
the airport utility should warn you if a new firmware is available.

You can also click on the word "version" and a menu should open which will list several version availabe for upload. make sure you have the latest.

also, try to restart the Airport once in a while.
Date: August 09, 2012 07:07PM
OK Thanks ST. Of course it's only been running for a couple of days. We'll see if the deletion of that network helps.

space-time
the airport utility should warn you if a new firmware is available.

You can also click on the word "version" and a menu should open which will list several version availabe for upload. make sure you have the latest.

also, try to restart the Airport once in a while.
Date: August 09, 2012 07:09PM
to make it clear: I would delete ALL network, both from that panel and also form Keychain. Then connect again (you need to enter the password).
Date: August 09, 2012 09:08PM
Update: Seems to have helped. After waking up, just about 5 seconds the network comes back. I'm happy. Thanks ST and Chris.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: August 10, 2012 02:20AM
Black
I'm still having this all the time in Lion and in Snow Lepoard. Usually just turning Airport off and back on gets it going.

Yep. Multiple routers, Macs, and across OS versions. Doesn't happen every time, but it will occur in spurts. Toggling Airport on and off generally solves the problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2012 02:22AM by silvarios.
Posted by: Black
Date: August 10, 2012 08:18AM
silvarios
Black

Yep. Multiple routers, Macs, and across OS versions. Doesn't happen every time, but it will occur in spurts. Toggling Airport on and off generally solves the problem.

Huh? What does "yep" mean-- that you have the same problem?

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: samintx
Date: August 10, 2012 10:18AM
My new router installation didn't give me a Secure network (lock by network name) How do I get a lock (secure) network now?
Date: August 10, 2012 04:21PM
samintx
My new router installation didn't give me a Secure network (lock by network name) How do I get a lock (secure) network now?

re-do the router settings
Date: August 10, 2012 04:43PM
Black
Huh? What does "yep" mean-- that you have the same problem?

Yes. It doesn't happen all the time, but often enough for me to make note. In fact, I have more trouble with WiFi on my Apple devices than all other devices combined. I have a lot of Apple devices so maybe the comparison is unfair, even still, it gets annoying.
Date: August 10, 2012 05:08PM
space-time
samintx

re-do the router settings

Yes, Sam needs to go in to her router and configure for security. WPA2 personal with a long 30+ character password ideally. While poking around, check the channel used. 1, 6, or 11 are the best options for 2.4 GHz, while 5 GHz has more room to avoid overlap and a completely different set of channel options. Also disable WAN access to your router if enabled.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 88
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020