advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
website that lists the selling prices of nearby homes
Posted by: tahoedrew
Date: July 30, 2006 02:26PM
I STF but can't find reference to a site that used google (or a similar map) to show you your house and other homes in the area that sold recently, and what they sold for.

Does anyone have that bookmarked?

Thanks!
~A
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: website that lists the selling prices of nearby homes
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: July 30, 2006 02:28PM
[www.zillow.com]
It doesn't work in Safari, but is fine in Firefox
Posted by: mikebw
Date: July 30, 2006 02:31PM
[www.zillow.com]

Does not support Safari yet, try Firefox.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: July 30, 2006 02:31PM
BAH!
Posted by: maurycy
Date: July 30, 2006 03:02PM
I just checked prices in my neighborhood using zillow.com site (it works in Camino). My apartment is listed at 30% of its actual value. House on the same street is listed for $100K less than I paid for my apartment 2 years ago. Not reliable source unless they are talking about the value that is used to calculate state tax.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: July 30, 2006 03:04PM
Zillow is accurate in that it is the data from public records like previouis sales and tax records so it may be dated.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 30, 2006 03:24PM
Don't count on zillow being accurate. Two of the houses on my street sold within the last two years. The values listed are way off, so I doubt that they are using previous sales. As for tax records, that is usually not an accurate way of determining value in all areas.
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: July 30, 2006 03:33PM
I use [www.domania.com]

It works fine in Safari. You don't have to register to search the database, but if you do register, you get access to more powerful search features. I use a one-off email address for them and have never received spam or anything.
Posted by: h'
Date: July 30, 2006 04:33PM
Ken Sp.
Zillow is accurate in that it is the data from public records like previouis sales and tax records so it may be dated.

That's not the whole story. Somehow it ends up being very, very, very inacurate, going way beyond this explanation.
If you're in a big city, you might see if one of the big newspapers offers such a search. What city are you in?
Posted by: davester
Date: July 30, 2006 09:35PM
Actually, I've found the purchase price data in zillow to be highly accurate. However, often there are improvements that never made it into the assessor's database so the preliminary valuation can be off quite a bit. That's why they give you the tool to adjust the house data and to pick your own comps. If you just use the raw valuations without using the other zillow tools then you are going to get the wrong answer. For example, my house is about 3,000 square feet but started off when it was built as 1300 sf...the number that is in the assessor's database. Therefore, until I correct the listing in zillow the valuation is off.

Personally, I think zillow is the absolute best tool you could have for this task, because all of the data behind their valuations is completely transparent so you can compensate for errors. However, if you just take a cavalier approach and don't do your homework you will get fooled.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2006 09:37PM by davester.
Posted by: ADent
Date: July 31, 2006 01:57AM
You can look in Zillow at the comps it is using to get some of the value.

Also can look at sales history in Zillow (in some areas) to see if it getting real prices or some wacky tax office values.

Also when looking at the comps check sq feet and such for your property and comps. If that data is wrong then valuations will be wrong.

In some areas it really needs improvements - but GIGO applies if the data it bases its valuations on is bad.

Around here and in a couple of places I used to live in it seems generally OK - say within 10-15%.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2006 01:58AM by ADent.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: July 31, 2006 10:37AM
domania is pretty good from my exp

!#$@@$#!

What if the hokey pokey really is what it’s all about?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

CW2V , kj
Guests: 211
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020