advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Modern backpacking gear - what's great out there?
Posted by: hal
Date: August 23, 2012 03:35PM
Getting ready for another backpacking trip after labor day and am getting my gear in order...

All of my gear is state of the art... 1984 and I'm constantly amazed at the new state of the art...

purifying water with electronic zapping??? a lightweight gravity filter???

I just can't find my old thermarest pad (the second model they made - it's old), so I'm shopping for a new one - it'll be half the weight and twice the thickness, comfort and insulation of the original...

I still love my ancient jansport pack - made the effort and expense of the modern packs (bought a highly praised gregory a while back), but my oldy but goody still does the job well without pain...

what else am I missing - what are the latest, coolest, lightest can't-do-without thingies these days?

Off to REI for rthe first round of shopping, but I KNOW that I'll have to go back again before I leave...
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Modern backpacking gear - what's great out there?
Posted by: michaelb
Date: August 23, 2012 03:45PM
i'd look to replace your old gear with much lighter gear, starting with the big three: tent (if even needed), bag, and pack. Plus boots. Shave off as many pounds as you can afford, and then don't buy anything that ends up adding weight.
Posted by: hal
Date: August 23, 2012 03:53PM
looking for specifics

ok.... really out the door now...
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 23, 2012 03:54PM
Boots. I saw those lightweight hiking boots... wow. My big leather Timberlands are still rugged and all and doing fine, but... hmm...
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 23, 2012 03:59PM
[gizmodo.com]

yeah, i'd go with a lighter weight shoe. but pretty much everything has gone through major advancements in the past 30 years. (sorry!)

heh, even a couple of poly-cotton tshirts.

Posted by: digby
Date: August 23, 2012 04:27PM
Some of the weight on my solo trips is books. Hoping a Nook shaves off some weight there, though I'll still take a couple of small paperbacks...
...what, isn't curling up around a fire with a good book the point?
Posted by: M>B>
Date: August 23, 2012 04:42PM
REI employees are well trained and can help you select any gear that you need. They even have a printable backpacking checklist...

[www.rei.com]

One thing I would recommend are self wicking sox such as Smartwool or a silk sox liner and a rag wool sox. Don't forget the moleskin and know how to use it. At least two pair or more for a long trip. You have to keep your feet in good shape!

One more thing, don't hike with new untested boots! I did that once and killed two toenails and eventually lost them, poor fitting boots. REI has an amazing return policy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2012 04:48PM by M>B>.
Posted by: katkennel
Date: August 23, 2012 05:29PM
number one on your list schould be sierra club stainless steel hiking
cap.
Posted by: M>B>
Date: August 23, 2012 05:34PM
katkennel
number one on your list schould be sierra club stainless steel hiking
cap.

Sounds like it would be uncomfortable and hot?
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 23, 2012 06:23PM
and a lightning rod in a storm.
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: August 23, 2012 06:33PM
I think the self-inflating sleeping pads are pretty cool! No CO2 cartridge required or anything...the foam inside just sucks in the air when the valve is opened. Sort of like a sponge sucking in the water if you squeeze it tightly and then submerge it in water.

[www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: davester
Date: August 23, 2012 06:37PM
An anti-gravity device:

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 25, 2012 01:40AM
The UnDoug
I think the self-inflating sleeping pads are pretty cool! No CO2 cartridge required or anything...the foam inside just sucks in the air when the valve is opened. Sort of like a sponge sucking in the water if you squeeze it tightly and then submerge it in water.

My Thermarest from the mid 80s does that. Nothing new about it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 205
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020