advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Columnist Jim Coates is a boob
Posted by: the_poochies
Date: July 31, 2006 08:24AM
The male equivalent of Kim Kommando is the Chicago Tribune's Jim Coates. Week after week, I chuckle as clueless Windows users battle spyware, malware, corrupted registries, sound going dead, etc.

My local paper this weekend ran Coates's July 24 column. What irked me was this response:

Q. I need help getting my new Apple G5 iMac with OS X 10.4 to edit movies using the Windows WMV format. I have no problem opening a WMV file.

Unfortunately, the file cannot be altered, changed or morphed into a format my machine will accept in QuickTime, iMovie, iDVD or iPhoto.

I've searched Apple's knowledge base, forums, posed questions therein, and talked to local gurus, with no answers. Do you know of any software that might handle the chore?

A. As you have learned the hard way, Mr. T., for more than two decades Mac owners haven't been able to work with Windows video files and Windows owners haven't been able to work with Apple's proprietary QuickTime files.

There are software fixes for this, but let me add that the easiest way for Mac owners to use Microsoft Windows Media Video (WMV) files is to find a computer running Windows XP.

Well, yeah, but that sort of misses the point. I sent Mr. Coates a little e-mail saying:

I am amused by reading your column every weekend in the Newark Star-Ledger, because with all of the bizarre and frustrating problems that your readers encounter with their Windows PCs, I'm reassured again and again for buying a new MacBook.

In your July 24 column, which ran in the July 30 Star-Ledger, you wrote:

"the easiest way for Mac owners to use Microsoft Windows Media Video (WMV) files is to find a computer running Windows XP."

While this solution may be pretty expensive and may take up a lot of space in one's home or office, I have yet to see you respond to one of your dozens of e-mails lamenting woes due to spyware, corrupted Windows registries, unexplained problems with sound and cursors and files that won't open or open improperly with a simple "the easiest way to solve those problems is to get a Mac."

I predict that if my company switched to Mac, we would probably throw a few IT guys and columnists like yourself out of work.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Columnist Jim Coates is a boob
Posted by: MGS_forgot_password
Date: July 31, 2006 08:31AM
"As you have learned the hard way, Mr. T., for more than two decades Mac owners haven't been able to work with Windows video files and Windows owners haven't been able to work with Apple's proprietary QuickTime files. "

Two decades?
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: July 31, 2006 09:05AM
MGS_forgot_password
Two decades?

Is that his estimate for Vista's release?
Posted by: Bixby
Date: July 31, 2006 09:18AM
Wouldn't Flip4Mac do the trick?
Posted by: Monster
Date: July 31, 2006 09:26AM
I liked the part where he said to use Windows Movie Maker to convert the file to DV-AVI format, then transfer to the Mac to convert again in Quicktime.

I enjoy reading Allan Hoffman better, at least he uses a Mac, and offers good advice.

The Taoist Zhuangzi said, "Good order results spontaneously when things are let alone".
The sociologist, and historian, Adam Ferguson described the phenomenon of spontaneous order in society as the "result of human action, but not the execution of any human design".
Posted by: incognegro
Date: July 31, 2006 09:46AM
he said "MORE THAN 2 decades," so that's 21+ years, right?

in 1985 what OS were you running?
i was in college using Apple II+ & DOS.
Posted by: MGS_forgot_password
Date: July 31, 2006 10:02AM
incognegro

Did you have any problems playing .wmv videos?
Posted by: incognegro
Date: July 31, 2006 10:20AM
MGS_forgot_password
incognegro

yes! they wouldn't fit on my 800K, 5 1/2" floppy disks!

Posted by: Effin Haole
Date: July 31, 2006 10:45AM
incognegro

I was running 6.? on my Mac

Strength without compassion is brutality. Compassion without strength is weakness.

We must train our minds to desire what the situation demands.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: July 31, 2006 11:36AM
incognegro
MGS_forgot_password
incognegro

yes! they wouldn't fit on my 800K, 5 1/2" floppy disks!

Oh, now that makes me sad. The Apple II only had 143K/side 5.25" floppies. No wonder those .wmvs didn't work - wrong disks!
Posted by: -jeffB
Date: July 31, 2006 11:38AM
Effin Haole
incognegro

I was running 6.? on my Mac

Wow, the Apple developers sat on it for three years before general release?

[en.wikipedia.org]
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: July 31, 2006 11:48AM
One decade, and that's about it. WMV hasn't been out much longer than that. Additionally, QT has been available for Windows since I don't know when, but a long time.

Next, he really missed the whole topic. WMV, RealMedia (audio & video), streaming QT... are essentially final formats and are not meant to be edited after encoding. They are created to allow the most utilization of bandwidth.

If someone has a WMV clip they would like to edit, they should use the source of the WMV. If they don't have access to the source, that brings up the issue of why they're trying to edit video they probably don't own.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 93
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020