advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Good news/Bad news, another visit to the ER and Hospital
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 29, 2012 05:54PM
Just spent another few days at a different hospital with my husband. I should write a book about the hospitals within a 20 mile radius of our house. grinning smiley

The good news is, they have said that a new contrast CT scan shows no tumor on his kidney, YEA! The bad news is, he has a blood clot in his calf. sad smiley

Long story short, Monday afternoon we went to his scheduled appointment with his orthopedic doctor for a follow up on his foot, torn ligament and re-stress fracture of his second toe. The doctor didn't like the swelling that was evident and sent him downstairs to get an ultrasound to check for a blood clot. Sure enough, he has a clot in the calf of his leg above the injured foot. Sooooo, they decided to admit him to Northside Forsyth hospital around midnight, for those Atlanta area members who wondered where we were. Because of his unexplained bleeding from two weeks ago, they couldn't just give him blood thinners and send him home.

While we were there, we asked could they check out the kidney bleed area, since we were supposed to have that done anyway, and this time they were able to rule out a mass or tumor on his kidney. They really don't know why he started bleeding before, but being a long time Coumadin user is probably what made it get out of control.

Anyway, since he had the bleeding issue, they decided to put a small clot filter device into his inferior vena cava, hope I got that right for all you MRF doctors, and treat him for a couple of days with Heparin. They let us come home today, but I get to shoot him up twice a day with generic Lovenox, what fun. He better be nice to me for the next two weeks. grinning smiley

So, not a great result, and I certainly didn't want to spend the last two days at the hospital, but at least we know that the kidney is OK.

To complicate matters, I was supposed to leave Tuesday morning to take my daughter to Orlando to start her internship at Disney, but luckily her boyfriend was able to go with her and help get her moved in.

Monday night was hectic. After getting Frank in his room and talking with the doctor, I had to come home about 2:30 AM and get make sure my daughter was all packed and ready to leave the next day. Got about three hours sleep, got her off early Tuesday and then went back to the hospital. My husband and I and the BF were all supposed to go, but all these trips to the hospital nixed that and the BF had to go solo.

The only other good news is that Frank went on Medicare on July 1st of this year, so thanks to all of you who helped underwrite these little visits, plus he has the supplement and part D, so this has cost us thousands less than if this happened three months ago. His other insurance had a high deductible.

Keep a good thought for us, and hopefully I won't hurt him too badly when I stick him in the belly with the needle. As I said, he had better be super nice to me.

BTW, the WiFi was better at North Fulton, but the food was better at Northside Forsyth, in case any Atlanta members are considering checking out the facilities. Free parking at both, a definite plus.

Side note, while my daughter is in Orlando for the next four months, I get to keep her MBA. Typing on it now.

So very glad to be home. I hope no more trips to any hospitals are in my future.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Good news/Bad news, another visit to the ER and Hospital
Posted by: DavidS
Date: August 29, 2012 06:03PM
Yikes! Glad to hear that he is okay and the kidney is fine. Sorry about the DVT. Yes, you were correct about the IVC filter (often known as a Greenfield filter). Which Ortho group does he see? Resurgens or Ptree Ortho?

Northside Atlanta has a McDonalds in the lobby. They have an elevator from there directly to the cath lab. ;)
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: August 29, 2012 06:18PM
Continued good wishes to you and Frank - what a week for your family!
Posted by: Pam
Date: August 29, 2012 06:26PM
Holy cow! But I think I'd take a known calf DVT over a kidney mass!

I have a coworker who's daughter and soon to be son-in-law work at Disney. She's been there for years and I believe went through the intern program. She just did graduate from college. If you'd like, you could PM me contact info and I could have my coworker pass it on to his daughter. It's a huge place, but who knows it might be useful.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 29, 2012 06:34PM
Good wishes your way.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: August 29, 2012 06:50PM
DavidS
Yikes! Glad to hear that he is okay and the kidney is fine. Sorry about the DVT. Yes, you were correct about the IVC filter (often known as a Greenfield filter). Which Ortho group does he see? Resurgens or Ptree Ortho?

Northside Atlanta has a McDonalds in the lobby. They have an elevator from there directly to the cath lab. ;)

He sees a Dr. Raut at Resurgens.

The Forsyth branch doesn't have the Micky D's, I wish it did. I love their coffee drinks. There is an Atlanta Bread Comapny almost across the street, and a Starbucks next door to that, so that was good.

I remember there was lot of flack about Northside having a McDonalds, a few years back. Controversy about it not being healthy and all. I personally love the idea. grinning smiley

Posted by: davester
Date: August 29, 2012 07:24PM
Great that they found the DVT (not great to have, but better that you find out now than via a pulmonary embolism as happened to me). The biggest downside for me in having a DVT was the neverending needle pricks. However if your husband is a longtime coumadin user I'm guessing that he's used to that. I'm a bit puzzled though...if he's on coumadin how could he have a DVT?

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: August 29, 2012 08:03PM
davester
Great that they found the DVT (not great to have, but better that you find out now than via a pulmonary embolism as happened to me). The biggest downside for me in having a DVT was the neverending needle pricks. However if your husband is a longtime coumadin user I'm guessing that he's used to that. I'm a bit puzzled though...if he's on coumadin how could he have a DVT?

I don't think you ever get used to the bloodsucking, but he tries to put up with it as best as he can.

He had to come off the Coumadin after the unexplained bleeding around his kidney two weeks ago, so that, coupled with his foot injury and him being mostly off his feet for two weeks led to the DVT. sad smiley

Date: August 29, 2012 08:12PM
Pam
Holy cow! But I think I'd take a known calf DVT over a kidney mass!

I have a coworker who's daughter and soon to be son-in-law work at Disney. She's been there for years and I believe went through the intern program. She just did graduate from college. If you'd like, you could PM me contact info and I could have my coworker pass it on to his daughter. It's a huge place, but who knows it might be useful.

PM sent. Thanks!

Posted by: Black
Date: August 29, 2012 08:36PM
He's lucky to have you. Best of luck.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: blooz
Date: August 29, 2012 09:18PM
OMG, Rhonda with a sharp implement aimed at his belly !!
Scary.

Seriously, I'm glad this isn't worse than it is. I ditto Pam.
I certainly hope you can avoid hospitals for the long-term future. And all kidding aside, he is lucky to have you around.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: August 29, 2012 09:24PM
Thanks for the update. Best wishes for good outcomes delivered with good speed.
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: August 29, 2012 09:35PM
Prayers from here, Rhonda . . . for all the people involved. And for your daughter and her BF on their trip.

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Date: August 29, 2012 09:43PM
I kept kidding the nurse about poking him with the needle and she asked Frank if he was sure that he wanted to trust me to give him the shots. grinning smiley

I will try to be gentle, and the needles are very small, but don't tell him that. I need for him to be sweet to me for the next two weeks.

Posted by: mikebw
Date: August 29, 2012 09:49PM
Best wishes to you both!
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: August 29, 2012 09:59PM
Ah, so glad to hear that the kidney was clear. I'm sure Frank knows how lucky he is to live with someone willing to stab him daily! wink smiley

cool smiley Hope your daughter finds some of the leftover magic that must be hiding deep in the bowels of the Mouse. Disney has its own form of RDF; some become entranced, others embittered... but wait, she left the MBA behind!!??! eek smiley
Date: August 29, 2012 10:38PM
A-Polly
but wait, she left the MBA behind!!??! eek smiley

Don't worry, she took her MacBook Pro and her iPhone. grinning smiley

Posted by: vision63
Date: August 29, 2012 10:50PM
Hey, best wishes for Frank and all the rest of y'all. It'll be nice when he's all patched up.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: August 30, 2012 01:58AM
I fully understand how it is you can get sick and tired of hospital admissions. My own problems paralleled your husband's in that Medicare kicked in only days prior to my AAA and subsequent kidney problems. My wife played the part you are currently playing and once I recovered I was able to push her into a big time triple bypass so now, sans the daily injection, I get to play your role.

Best wishes for both of you.
Date: August 30, 2012 05:11AM
RgrF
I fully understand how it is you can get sick and tired of hospital admissions. My own problems paralleled your husband's in that Medicare kicked in only days prior to my AAA and subsequent kidney problems. My wife played the part you are currently playing and once I recovered I was able to push her into a big time triple bypass so now, sans the daily injection, I get to play your role.

Best wishes for both of you.

Thanks, Roger. I really hope I don't need surgery after this, for any reason. smiling smiley
I hope your wife recovers quickly and I am glad they were able to deal with your AAA, as that is what killed my father back in 2001, before they had the new surgical techniques to deal with it.

Posted by: JoeM
Date: August 30, 2012 05:51AM
You guys have certainly had your hands full. Glad that doc found the clot. My hopes and prayers that your husband is well and almis back to normal for you soon.

JoeM
Posted by: robfilms
Date: August 30, 2012 06:16AM
good thoughts headed your way.

be well

rob
Posted by: dmann
Date: August 30, 2012 06:30AM
Thanks for the update. I've been thinking about you both! So glad they found the clot and the Greenfield Filter is a great thing (my mom has had a couple after a PE a few years ago.)

Hang in there!

DM
Posted by: wowzer
Date: August 30, 2012 10:07AM
davester

Being on coumadin does not always prevent the development of a new DVT. There are many factors involved with the development of DVT's, the most common explanations have to do with Virchow's triad of altered flow, endothelial damage (the cells lining the walls of the vein), and hypercoagulability (the increased tendency of blood to form clots). Coumadin only alters the clotting cascade, but does nothing to the flow of blood or endothelial damage.

Just an aside, when I met Dr. Greenfield, I specifically asked him about the need for continued anti-coagulation because many physicians assume that an IVC filter means that anticoagulants are not needed. Dr. Greenfield's response was, 'as far as I know, you must keep patients on anticoagulation; otherwise, the filter itself becomes a nidus for additional clot formation.' Of course, that was almost 20 years ago--so things may have changed (I don't usually keep up on long term care issues).

I hope things work out well, Rhonda...just makes sure to observe him for signs of anemia since he is on lovenox. The only good news is that you can do this now, in the old days, he'd have been in the hospital for 2 weeks adjusting INR's.

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: August 30, 2012 01:25PM
Best wishes to you.

As for Medicare, yes, you are fortunate. With Medicare and a Medicare Supplement you have the best hospitalization coverage you can get. You should have absolutely nothing out of pocket for the hospital admissions. And depending on the supplement, you should also have little to nothing out of pocket for anything else.
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: August 30, 2012 03:51PM
Rumor is that Apple will have the Frank v5™ out in a few weeks. Maybe you should cut your losses and sell your Frank v1 on frankslist for parts and get a new one with all the attachments.

Date: August 30, 2012 05:20PM
lafinfil
Rumor is that Apple will have the Frank v5™ out in a few weeks. Maybe you should cut your losses and sell your Frank v1 on frankslist for parts and get a new one with all the attachments.

Do I have to disclose any known defects? If so, that could lower the price, but thanks to his age, he does now have lifetime FrankCare.

Posted by: lafinfil
Date: August 30, 2012 07:42PM
FrankCare would be a selling point. You should make sure and get all of his buttons replaced while he is still covered. I'm sure that they are worn out from being pushed all the time.

: -D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2012 08:12PM by lafinfil.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 164
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020