advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
SATA to PATA adapter? small enough to fit in a Powerbook?
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 30, 2012 03:28PM
with SSD prices dropping so fast, is there any chance to grab a cheap SSD SATA and use it in an older powerbook, with some sort of adapter? I didn't think so, there is no space for a SATA/PATA adapter, right?

[m.slickdeals.net]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: SATA to PATA adapter? small enough to fit in a Powerbook?
Posted by: MGS_forgot_password
Date: August 30, 2012 03:32PM
Well, they make those adapters that allow you to put SATA drives in the PATA optical drive bays.

Like this
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 30, 2012 03:32PM
Probably. But it's like putting a Vette engine in a Vega. Get an early MacBook Pro.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 30, 2012 03:42PM
On a related note, I need an adapter to use SATA optical drives in a PATA/IDE bay/enclosures. And decent compact ones?
Posted by: DRR
Date: August 30, 2012 04:00PM
There won't be room. There are PATA SSDs though, although not nearly as cheap as the newer ones.

Waste of money IMO. One alternative is to get a fast CF card and a small CF to PATA adapter, and run the whole system off that.

[addonics.com]
Posted by: p8712
Date: August 30, 2012 04:43PM
DRR
Waste of money IMO. One alternative is to get a fast CF card and a small CF to PATA adapter, and run the whole system off that.

That's your best option. Keep in mind a really fast CF card will saturate a powerbooks 133mb bus, so you don't even have to get a top of the line card.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2012 04:43PM by p8712.
Date: August 30, 2012 04:53PM
p8712
DRR

That's your best option. Keep in mind a really fast CF card will saturate a powerbooks 133mb bus, so you don't even have to get a top of the line card.

which CF card? what speed?
Date: August 30, 2012 04:54PM
BTW: it's not about $$$, that was not the question smiling smiley
Posted by: hal
Date: August 30, 2012 05:31PM
if money isn't a problem, get an OWC PATA SSD
Posted by: p8712
Date: August 30, 2012 05:46PM
space-time
p8712
DRR

which CF card? what speed?

[www.newegg.com]

Something like this would be ideal. I'm not sure what size you'd need? Just look for a fast maximum transfer speed and it must support ATA mode (most cards will). At least you won't have to wait for the drive to spin up!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2012 05:46PM by p8712.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: August 30, 2012 06:29PM
Remember that using a CF card will be an exercise in frustration when writing a lot of small files to the thing. This is where the SSD controller optimizations make the biggest difference and this is of course absent from a dumb PATA-CF adapter. A 5400 RPM HD is much faster than this setup at writing those small files.

Yes, I've set this very thing up on a Pismo and was unimpressed for the most part. Maybe it will be better on a fast G4 with a 133x card.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: August 30, 2012 08:23PM
I bought a 1.8" 64GB SATA SSD when it was $40 (now $60), but haven't gotten around to buying the adapter and installing it in my Pismo, just for fun.
[www.newegg.com]

A 1.8" drive should be small enough to work with an adapter. In fact, I even found a guy that sells a cage that you put the adapter and the 1.8" SSD in to make it all the same dimensions as a 2.5" drive.
[www.shapeways.com]
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 30, 2012 08:58PM
Gareth, that's really cool. I bet your Pismo would be usable with that!
Date: August 30, 2012 09:01PM
Gareth
I bought a 1.8" 64GB SATA SSD when it was $40 (now $60), but haven't gotten around to buying the adapter and installing it in my Pismo, just for fun.
[www.newegg.com]

A 1.8" drive should be small enough to work with an adapter. In fact, I even found a guy that sells a cage that you put the adapter and the 1.8" SSD in to make it all the same dimensions as a 2.5" drive.
[www.shapeways.com]

intere$ting
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 122
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020