The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Testing Zoho—IMAP Puzzle
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: September 02, 2012 09:58AM
Following up on this thread,

[forums.macresource.com]

I set up a personal Zoho account, got my iMac to work with IMAP (didn't at first; had to click SSD), then got my MBP to do the same.

But since I got the MBP synchronized with Zoho, the iMac no longer receives mail sent to Zoho. It does, however, send from Zoho all right.

What's up with that? I'm trying to figure out how IMAP works, and this isn't helping! confused smiley

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Testing Zoho—IMAP Puzzle
Posted by: modelamac
Date: September 02, 2012 10:35AM
It may be because the MBP has already "read" the mail. It's marked as read when the iMac goes to retrieve it. Possible?

I have that problem with my MBP & mini for all email accounts except iCloud.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: September 02, 2012 11:09AM
Model,

Unlikely. With IMAP, items marked as read should still be downloaded but at the time of downloaded reflect being marked as read. One of the reasons the IMAP email protocol is great for people with multiple machines is because it keeps the mail synchronized properly across them. This is actually critical to my workflow.

I use IMAP for mail on my Macbook Pro, Mac Pro tower, imac at my office and on both my ipad and iphone. I do not have this issue. Same goes for when I used it with older machines, i.e. G4, G5 Dual, etc. The issue you've described has never occurred on my machines. If you're experiencing this issue (like MrLynn), then something isn't configured correctly on your machines.

I looked at the settings on ZOHO mail and it uses standard IMAP configuration. The question is whether or not you're using it with your own domain and/or if you've changed the MX records. Changing the MX records isn't necessarily the best way to configure ZOHO mail. I didn't do that with Fastmail.fm (and its IMAP configuration). Instead, I have my own domain and have the dmain name registrar forward mail sent to the domain to my email address at fastmail. It adds a layer of complexity but it works very well.

The only time I've had an issue is when the domain name provider (directnic) has a forwarding issue. It's happened a couple of time over the years. Maybe two or three times since 2001.

Robert
Date: September 02, 2012 12:31PM
I plan to set it up with my own domain, but at the moment I'm just testing using ____@Zoho.com. I did create an alias 'from' address with my domain in it. Could that be the source of the problem?

Don't know what the MX records are, so don't think I changed them.

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: Robert M
Date: September 02, 2012 12:47PM
MrLynn,

It's more likely a basic configuration issue. Double-check your settings to make sure you've followed Zoho's instructions to the letter. That and make sure the settings are identical on both machines.

Robert
Date: September 02, 2012 02:31PM
Robert M
It's more likely a basic configuration issue. Double-check your settings to make sure you've followed Zoho's instructions to the letter. That and make sure the settings are identical on both machines.

Everything looks identical on both Macs. Tried more tests; still coming in on MBP, not on iMac (both are running 10.6.8, BTW).

???

/Mr Lynn

EDIT: Fixed, I think!

Had to right-click on the Inbox and click Synchronize. Should not have to do this more than once, right?

Lets see if it holds. Seems to be holding on the MBP.

Robert, while I've got you:

If I don't delete mail I want to keep in my In and Sent boxes, can I assume it will stay as long as I want on both computers and on the Zoho server (up to the 5 GB limit)?

How do I make sure it's always available? There is an Archive option in Zoho. Do you know how that works?

/Mr L

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2012 02:53PM by mrlynn.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 110
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020