advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
personal/home expenditure software
Posted by: kap
Date: January 03, 2006 04:51PM
We have used Excel. Not too thrilled about it. We are a family of three. We don't have a large budget to keep track of. Still, we want to know where all of our hard-earned money go.
TiA

Kap

SoCal for now.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: personal/home expenditure software
Posted by: davester
Date: January 03, 2006 05:02PM
Quicken, though it has some annoying issues for advanced users, is the one to beat. It is a pretty ideal package for budgeting and banking. I've used it for years. A "flat" database like Excel is the wrong tool for tracking budgets.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: January 03, 2006 05:06PM
Agree with davester. I'm not a huge fan of Quicken, but I use it for multiple checkbooks and it comes it damn handy at tax time.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: January 03, 2006 05:18PM
I use the budget feature in quicken also. The one thing I do NOT like about it is the lack of a bill schedule. You can enter all of the bills that will arrive in a particular month but not WHEN they will arrive. So you are stuck printing out your monthly budget and evaluating what's left in the month to pay. This assumes you look at your budget more than once a month which may not be the case but it's how I do it.

Dave
Posted by: davester
Date: January 03, 2006 05:19PM
Also, quicken comes free with any consumer mac (mini, imac, ibook). That might even make it worth springing for a mini. Perhaps you even have a copy that came with one of your macs. Even the older versions work fine...I still use quicken 2000.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: January 03, 2006 06:20PM
quicken. been using it for over 10 years, now.
Date: January 03, 2006 06:26PM
I think we are seeing alot of "quicken" because it's pretty much the only commercial offering that integrates budgeting and checkwriting. This is a shame. I know there is an opensource personal accounting package out there. Ah yes, gnucash. Looks like the install is not for the week hearted though.

[homepage.mac.com]

Dave

Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: January 03, 2006 07:04PM
davemchine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Looks like the install is not for the week hearted
> though.

Is that because a "week" is how long it'll take to get it installed? winking smiley
Posted by: honu
Date: January 03, 2006 07:05PM
Quicken here, too.

Dave, do you have the bills recurring? I have 3 that are automatically entered on the same day each month.
Posted by: kap
Date: January 03, 2006 10:06PM
Darn, we do own a Quicken 2000 CD! I didn't think it would run on my G4 powerbook. Well, thanks everyone. I am going to look for it in my home office's computer closet.

Kap

SoCal for now.
Date: January 04, 2006 10:37AM
I do use the reoccuring bill feature but that does not help with the problem I described. For instance:

If you go grocery shopping 4 times a month and budget $150 each time then your monthly budget is $600. Now let's say you have already been shopping twice and have overspent, your running total is $350 already. If you look at your budget it says you are fine, you haven't gone over $600 so everything is great according to quicken. But if you actually run the budget report and look at the numbers you will say, "hey, I'm gonna be $50 over budget on groceries if I don't scale back." Quicken leaves that determination to you and provides no warning mechanism.

I realize quickens budget feature is really intended to be run when the month is over to see how everything went. But what I need is more of a budget "watcher" to make sure I'm on track all the time. I'm a penny pincher.

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 357
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020