The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Who (else) still has analog CRT TV's
Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 06, 2012 06:24PM
Poll
Our most watched CRT television is
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
74 votes were received.
Bigger than 35" 4

5%
35" 3

4%
32" 12

16%
27" 30

41%
24"/25" 6

8%
Smaller than 24" 19

26%

What size is the most watched/used, for those that haven't gone all digital HDTV?
Bonus points for an explanation, such as location, main use/users, and video source (cable, satellite, streaming, OTA, etc.)

We have three, 27" in our bedroom, 27" in guest bedroom, and 32" in computer room, with our bedroom getting by far the most use. The other two are there mostly for the convenience of others.

///

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Who (else) still has analog CRT TV's
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 06, 2012 06:28PM
One 14" sits between my kids' computers. My daughter watches it as she does Facebook while my son watches on his computer using a Slingbox.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 06, 2012 06:40PM
still have 4 analog CRT TVs in use.
Posted by: Buck
Date: September 06, 2012 06:44PM
All went to the recycle.
Posted by: olnacl
Date: September 06, 2012 06:54PM
Gone with the Wind.
Friends still have 3 although one became redundant when I gave them my TiVo and a 19 LCD for their kitchen (the CRT was too tall and had to be moved to open the upper cabinet door - the LCD clears it nicely even sitting on the TiVo.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 06, 2012 07:03PM
If it had not been more expensive to repair than replace, I might still have my 26" MItsubishi. The thing that really pushed me to go digital was sCumcast forcing customers either use converter boxes, or buy ATSC/QAM tuners and live with only 20 channels because they encrypted nearly everything.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: BernDog
Date: September 06, 2012 07:16PM
Buzz
...with our bedroom [TV] getting by far the most use.
///

So sorry to hear that.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: September 06, 2012 07:19PM
About 10 years ago I wall-mounted a small CRT TV in front of the treadmill I run on almost every day. It still works well for that intended purpose. Evidently, DishTV receivers are able to put out an analog signal because that is where the CRT TV is getting it's signal from now (I think I recall the DishTV installer making some comment about that when he did the installation).
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 06, 2012 07:30PM
A 27" in the bedroom, A 27" in my son's room and a 12" used as a viewing monitor for the media equipment room (the LCD is in the living room, but the AV Receiver, mac mini, Sat Receiver, etc is in a closet in an adjacent room - the 12" lets me see what is playing for adjustment purposes).

The CRT's still work, cost next to nothing and are perfect for secondary sets.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: DP
Date: September 06, 2012 07:39PM
>The CRT's still work, cost next to nothing and are perfect for secondary sets.

I just can't get rid of something that is still working just fine.
Posted by: fromish
Date: September 06, 2012 07:40PM
Reason to hold on-better picture, motion, color and viewing angle than flat screens I have seen. The speakers also sound better than the built in speakers in the flat panels.

Source-all DVD

Main use-movies, documentaries, lectures. This is our only TV. We will keep it until it dies and we have to go to a flat panel.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: September 06, 2012 07:41PM
How much does a 27" TV weigh?
Posted by: bwicklander
Date: September 06, 2012 07:42PM
I still watch a 25in console Sony from the 80s. The TV is built like a tank. Unlike the 90s and 00s garbage that was sold. It's in the basement with cable and Wii hooked up to it.
Posted by: chopper
Date: September 06, 2012 07:45PM
"Reason to hold on-better picture..."

Better than HD?
Posted by: guitarist
Date: September 06, 2012 07:47PM
Imagine someone saying, back in the 1960s, saying "Hey, Ed Sullivan is on. Come over and watch it at our house, on our CRT!"

"On your what?"

"What's a CRT?"

"Don't you have a television?"

"No thanks. I'm going to Jimmy's house. He has a TV set"
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: September 06, 2012 07:47PM
Still have a 36" JVC Theater Series that I rarely watch, but when I do I am astounded by how good it still looks. It was a hell of a TV when I got it and still is. I cut the cable 5 or 6 years ago so it is only used for DVD's (still have those) using component inputs. Like I said - still looks great.

Posted by: Shakes
Date: September 06, 2012 07:55PM
We have Uverse and have one CRT left in our bedroom. My wife abuse's it daily hoping it'll stop working.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: September 06, 2012 08:09PM
Have a 21" hand-me-up Sanyo (from my daughter) on a turntable in the kitchen-dining-room counter; has a flat screen (for a CRT). We also have a 51" LCD/LED Samsung in the living room, but we use it only for Saturday-night movies, and videos if the grandkids are here.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 11am Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: September 06, 2012 08:26PM
Still watching my 15" Proton from 1985 or so. Nice color still, although not as sharp as a good flat screen. I'm trying to decide to wait until it dies before getting a new TV.
Posted by: rz
Date: September 06, 2012 08:58PM
Only at our furnished rental.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: September 06, 2012 09:10PM
Got rid of the last crt 10 months ago.
Posted by: Octave Doctor
Date: September 06, 2012 09:19PM
I've got a Sanyo 19" I got off the curb a couple years ago, still works fine.

No point in spending money on a fancy TV when the cable (Comcast) is so bad.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 06, 2012 09:33PM
36" Panny, watching it right now. It's our only TV. SDTV. Great color.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 06, 2012 09:39PM
BernDog
Buzz
...with our bedroom [TV] getting by far the most use.
///

So sorry to hear that.

Hey, at least it's a 27" Panasonic Tau Series flat screen, w/ awesome picture... :-)

Oh, maybe you weren't talking about the TV...
I guess it is what it is.

///

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: colonel panic
Date: September 06, 2012 10:50PM
Really, even my parents got rid of their old TVs and went digital.

"They don't call me Colonel because I'm some dumb a$$ army guy" Colonel Homer J. Simpson
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 06, 2012 11:04PM
I still have three CRTs; a 27" and two 13". They are rarely used, I just haven't bothered to get rid of them yet.
Posted by: ArtP
Date: September 06, 2012 11:07PM

"What size is the most watched/used, for those that haven't gone all digital HDTV?

35" in the bedroom gets watched the most. Had it hooked up to a old TiVo DVR (for pause and rewind) on a live comcast line (unfiltered basic cable TV, perk of my cable internet) but the aging TiVo would go into a reset cycle on those hot days earlier this summer so I switched to Over The Air.

I've been watching OTA ever since and haven't looked back.

Bonus points for an explanation, such as location, main use/users, and video source (cable, satellite, streaming, OTA, etc.)"

A 25" and a smaller (22" or 19") elsewhere in the house but rarely gets watched. I wanted to upgrade as prices dropped but had a break in a few years ago. Lost a Macbook and a old iBook, and I'm sure if I had a HD flatscreen TV that would have been gone too. CRT TVs are just too big and unattractive to thieves - LOL.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: September 06, 2012 11:45PM
26-inch Mitsubishi. Mostly because it ain't broke. Unfortunately, the local PBS station has switched to the new aspect ratio so I miss things on the left and right edges of the frame. I was tempted by a Woot deal last month, but realized that would also obligate me to replace my non-HD TiVo with Lifetime Subscription.
Posted by: kahuna1342
Date: September 07, 2012 12:16AM
The 9" Phillips in the kitchen is the only CRT left in the house. Still catch the morning news every day on it.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but, three rights make a left.
Posted by: billb
Date: September 07, 2012 01:09AM
I use one as a stand for a LCD TV

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: JEBB
Date: September 07, 2012 02:58AM
Everything in my TV setup works but is old. Everything includes a Sony 27" TV, a 1.66 GHz CD Mac Mini and an EyeTV 200. Commercial TV programming these days, in general, really sucks and what is watchable is one third commercial time. So we end up watching few programs other than those on PBS or TCM and NO commercials.
Posted by: riley5108
Date: September 07, 2012 07:00AM
Have two 27" both work, but soon headed for recycle, not worth the cost to order adaptor boxes from Bumcast. Both free adaptor boxes are connected to 32" Samsung LCD's and that sucks. I refuse to rent more DVR boxes for true HD reception. Tried rabbit ears on the CRT's for OTA reception, which fails.

The CRT's weigh a ton and moving them to different locations is a PITA, so they will have to go ... can't remember how much they originally cost, but I suppose we've gotten or money's worth out of them over the many years.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: September 07, 2012 07:58AM
freeradical
How much does a 27" TV weigh?

We have a 32 Pana. 150lbs.

Is there another kind of TV?

!#$@@$#!
Posted by: the_poochies
Date: September 07, 2012 08:12AM
I have a 34" Panasonic Tau 4:3 ratio HDTV that my friend purchased in August 2001 and he gave to me for free in 2008. It has 1080i resolution and it is a 250 lb behemoth. Until I received a flat screen TV in November, this was our main TV in our living room.

Mrs. Poochie worried about thieves trying to break in and steal the TV; at 250 lbs, I dared perps to try and walk out of my house with that thing!

Now the TV sits in Little Poochie's play room. His Wii games look mighty nice on it (even though the Wii is not HD resolution).
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: September 07, 2012 08:27AM
Do the CRTs in 80's-vintage arcade games count? If so, I've got five of those. Plus the Black Friday Special with built-in VHS in our guest room...
Posted by: Mr645
Date: September 07, 2012 09:39AM
We still have a 36" Sony in the bedroom. Works fine, nice picture
Posted by: pinion
Date: September 07, 2012 09:50AM
Rocking the 27" CRT in the Loft outside all the bedrooms. Got my first Tivo (Series 2 single tuner lifetime service) hooked up to it. Was only Antenna and got a lot of use out of it when the last kid was born and the wife had to hang out there in her rocker doing mom things but it's been getting neglected. Just got Comcast yesterday so now it's blasting IT signals at a cable DTA instead of the digital to analog converter.

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Posted by: TLB
Date: September 07, 2012 11:44AM
I still only have analog cable, so I had been buying replacements off Craigslist. I finally bought one LCD and cable is cutting me off in a year, so all new replacements will be "modern" TVs.
Posted by: bhaveshp
Date: September 07, 2012 12:58PM
Only CRT left in the house is in the Mac SE/30.
Posted by: guitarist
Date: September 07, 2012 01:10PM
I ONLY use CRT TVs, and refuse to install Lion or Mountain Lion.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: September 07, 2012 01:43PM
My parents are using my old circa-2000 JVC 32" CRT and they have an RCA 20" CRT in their bedroom. My brother's 20" CRT just went kablooey last year and I got him a 26" Vizio LCD. He is noticeably happy with it.

We have 2 LCD TVs, used as computer monitors. One of them has an EyeTV250 hooked up to it's Mac and occasionally even receives an OTA TV signal. We just don't watch much TV any more. In fact, I recorded and watched more TV during the Olympics than I had in total in at least the past year, maybe two.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: September 07, 2012 07:00PM
32" console in the mountain cabin.

If it didn't have wheels built-in we'd need a hand truck to move it around.

Cabin's far enough up the ridge to receive stations from two markets via a cheap converter box connected to a small flat-panel antenna.

No one bothered to take it in the break-in five years ago. smiling smiley
Posted by: polychrome
Date: September 07, 2012 08:39PM
27" Toshiba FST Pure Flat. Don't use it enough to justify a LED/LCD/Plasma. I don't even have a smart phone yet. Now that I have to move, wishing my CRT TV was a hundred lbs lighter.
Posted by: digby
Date: September 07, 2012 10:40PM
guitarist
Imagine someone saying, back in the 1960s, saying "Hey, Ed Sullivan is on. Come over and watch it at our house, on our CRT!"...

Hey, it won't be long til we're all chuckling "Remember 'Flat Screen' TVs? I mean, c'mon, what were we thinking?"

No, I don't know if we'll be laughing because our fabric TVs will be even flatter, or because TV will be so passé.

But it wasn't so long ago I told my class of college-age Design Students "Our kids are going to be talking about 'Gigs of RAM'!" And they laughed. Five years later, it ain't our kids laughing...

(Oh, btw, 27" CRT with rabbit ears... don't want TV to be too fun...)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2012 10:43PM by digby.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: September 09, 2012 04:14PM
We have a 30" Sanyo CRT HDTV, (digital, of course). Therefore, I could not vote in your poll.
Date: June 09, 2013 09:55PM
I have a 27" Sony Trititron analog TV with an excellent picture, color, and sound. I watch DVD's Movies on it. I am 100% confident and 100% expecting that analog CRT TV's will come back to the production line sometime in my lifetime for those that still play old video games systems like Atari 2600, NES, Sega Genesis, and other old video game systems. Old video games systems looks best only on an analog CRT TV. If we play older game systems on modern flat screens. These TV's will upscale the resolution five times, the picture quality will be horrible after upscaling, and the colors displayed on modern flat panel TV's will be not original compared to playing these old video game systems on an analog CRT TV,
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 89
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020