advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Speaking of CRT, how much radiation vs LCD/LED is it giving off?
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: September 06, 2012 08:20PM
I don't watch so much tv, catch maybe one movie a week and the family watches some cartoons and news. I wonder how much this old Sony Vega Trinitron 4:3 is giving off vs. and LCD/LED monitor.

Web searches are flooded with info but nothing I can hang my hat on so far. Thanks for the help.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Speaking of CRT, how much radiation vs LCD/LED is it giving off?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 06, 2012 09:23PM
You won't get a sunburn unless you are nearer than 20 feet from the front. Keep the kids at east 40 feet away and they'll be healthier, wiser and wealthier.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2012 09:23PM by Speedy.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: September 06, 2012 09:26PM
[www.fda.gov]

How Safe Are TV Sets Today?

X-radiation emissions from properly operated TV sets and computer monitors containing CRTs are well controlled and do not present a public health hazard. The FDA standard, and today’s technology, such as electronic hold-down safety circuits and regulated power supplies, have effectively eliminated the risk of x-radiation from these products. FDA has not found TVs that violate the standard under normal (home) use conditions.

It is important to note also that flat panel TVs incorporating Liquid Crystal Displays (LCD) or Plasma displays are not capable of emitting x-radiation. As such these products and are not subject to the FDA standard and do not pose a public health hazard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2012 09:27PM by Ted King.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 06, 2012 09:41PM
I tried about 40 searches but could not find a picture from the scene of young Homer's shadow outline in front of the Radation King TV.

LCD's put out about 10 times less electromagnetic radiation IIRC, but I am all searched out for the moment to try and find anything more than anectodal evidence.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: September 06, 2012 10:31PM
pRICE cUBE
I don't watch so much tv, catch maybe one movie a week and the family watches some cartoons and news. I wonder how much this old Sony Vega Trinitron 4:3 is giving off vs. and LCD/LED monitor.

From what I've read, the EM from a LCD is about on-par with a strong light bulb.

A CRT generates very strong EM fields to manipulate the electron beams used to generate the picture and the beams themselves are powerful enough to give off X-rays when they strike the grill.

The danger is minimal in front of the tv, but traditionally the sides and rear are not well shielded on a CRT, meaning that people on the sides and behind a CRT are getting a much stronger does of radiation. It's strong enough that many TVs and CRT monitors used to come with warnings against using them near pregnant women and there was a thriving business in sales of radiation shields for CRTs back in the 1990s.

All CRTs must meet standards set by Congress in 1970. Whether you deem them sufficient for the 21st century... well, that's up to you.
[www.accessdata.fda.gov]

Exposure rate limit. Radiation exposure rates produced by a television receiver shall not exceed 0.5 milliroentgens per hour at a distance of five (5) centimeters from any point on the external surface of the receiver, as measured in accordance with this section.

That's somewhere between 10-20 times the background radiation most people in the U.S. probably get from the soil and air around them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2012 10:32PM by Chakravartin.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 110
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020