advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
New Orleans bound - any NOLA first-timer advice?
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: September 11, 2012 04:32PM
I'm headed to New Orleans this Thursday for a weekend trip - headed back home on Sunday. Primarily a leisure trip for me, and i'll be staying right in the middle of it (Canal Street just a few blocks from Bourbon). No car, so any visiting will have to be walkable/transit-accessible, or within a cheap taxi trip.

So, what to do? Wandering around the French Quarter is probably on the agenda at some point. Preservation Hall has been highly recommended. Brennan's for breakfast...

I'm vegetarian (which means no seafood - i know, i know, it's my loss), so i'm on the lookout for great, good, or decent spots with meatless delectables. I'm also a sucker for live music, great bars, art, culture, museums, etc. Less interested in historical tours or touristy attractions (i'd rather return with great memories than iconic snapshots). Money is tight in my world, so cheapskates please chime in!

That being said - hit me with your NOLA faves and flops!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: New Orleans bound - any NOLA first-timer advice?
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 11, 2012 05:01PM
Don't anger Peter B's mutant hamster horde!
Posted by: kj4btkljv
Date: September 11, 2012 05:33PM
Has any flood water from Hurricane Isaac receded yet? That event was only 2 weeks ago...

Jeff

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2012 05:36PM by kj4btkljv.
Posted by: saintyohann
Date: September 11, 2012 05:46PM
I went for the first time in February and stayed at the Marriott on Canal St (thank you Priceline). The Trolley goes up and down Canal and also along the river. It will take you almost anywhere you want to go, just get a cheap day pass. Yo can check out the Cemeteries easily from the Trolley.

My favorite walking tour of the city (I did it twice, mostly for the beignets):
Walk down Canal St. (towards the river) then left on Decatur St. toward the French Market. There are lots of clubs along this street, check out who's playing and plan your night. Go further down Decatur and stop at Cafe Du Monde for a beignet breakfast. Then check out Jackson Square. They have artists encircling the square selling their pieces, lots of nice (but expensive) shops, a museum and an old [French?] fort on the river. A little further the French Market is a wonderful flea-market/swap-meet style shopping experience (not expensive/one-of-a-kind items). Then head away from the river up Barracks St. on an architectural tour until you hit Bourbon St. and head back to Canal St.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: September 11, 2012 05:47PM
kj4btkljv
Has any flood water from Hurricane Isaac receded yet? That event was only 2 weeks ago...

Jeff

Yes - downtown New Orleans didn't get the worst of it during Isaac.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 11, 2012 05:49PM
"Has any flood water from Hurricane Isaac receded yet?"

Yeah, they flushed twice............

.......Oh wait, that's how NOLO fills up.

damn you smiley
Posted by: flareslow
Date: September 11, 2012 07:25PM
Take a cab to Rock N' Bowl on Carrolton Saturday night. Good bands and a big bar.

Rock N Bowl

Went on a night when someone had their wedding there. Everyone was a "Wedding Crasher".

For other ideas:

Gambit
Posted by: dmann
Date: September 11, 2012 07:38PM
Enjoy every second of it! I love New Orleans and can't wait to visit again- it's been TOO long.

DM
Posted by: tenders
Date: September 11, 2012 08:38PM
I've only been to NOLA once and I stayed in a purportedly very nice hotel right around the corner from Bourbon Street.

The hotel was the worst of its chain I've ever seen or imagined. Ok, I thought, not great, but every hotel has an off day, maybe an off property here or there. As its namesake crackers go it was very very stale.

Bourbon Street was foul with stench, drunks, idiots, and filth. The few idiots who weren't drunk were filthy. The rare drunks who weren't idiots stank. You get the idea. It is lined with trinket shops selling stupid Chinese plastic crap, and bars full of the same stench, drunks, idiots, and filth that was on the street, except with music. Plus nasty strip bars.

I love Vegas and I am not shy of booze or dive bars or strip clubs for that matter but this held no appeal to me whatsoever. I walked down the street to confirm this was reality for five full blocks, turned around, and went back to the hotel.

No doubt there are fabulous things to see and do in the town but Bourbon Street ain't among them. I will never go back.

Dmann, you seem like a classy gal, please oh please tell me it isn't Bourbon Street that holds New Orleans' appeal for you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2012 08:39PM by tenders.
Posted by: DavidS
Date: September 11, 2012 08:38PM
Have breakfast at Stella on Jackson Square. My wife and I ate there every morning when we were in NOLA last year.

Take a swamp tour.
Walking tour of the Garden District - many different companies do these.
Walking tour of the French Quarter.

eat, eat, eat
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 11, 2012 08:49PM
Sounds like my kind of place with my kind of crowd!

tenders
Bourbon Street was foul with stench, drunks, idiots, and filth. The few idiots who weren't drunk were filthy. The rare drunks who weren't idiots stank. You get the idea. It is lined with trinket shops selling stupid Chinese plastic crap, and bars full of the same stench, drunks, idiots, and filth that was on the street, except with music. Plus nasty strip bars.

I love Vegas and I am not shy of booze or dive bars or strip clubs for that matter but this held no appeal to me whatsoever. I walked down the street to confirm this was reality for five full blocks, turned around, and went back to the hotel.

No doubt there are fabulous things to see and do in the town but Bourbon Street ain't among them. I will never go back.

Dmann, you seem like a classy gal, please oh please tell me it isn't Bourbon Street that holds New Orleans' appeal for you.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: September 11, 2012 10:03PM
No, my Army of Mutant Hamsters™ will not attack you. grinning smiley

That being said, I'm as much a tourist as any of you, I really haven't experienced much of anything down here (other than evacuations for Gustav and almost for Isaac), because of my job, which doesn't leave a lot of spare time for much of anything. So I'm learning by reading the above comments, just like the rest of you.

Edit: that being said, I'm not of the type that would enjoy filth or drunkenness anyway... I have been to the Zoo here, which was quite nice, and also several very nice restaurants (Zea's is a fave).

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2012 10:05PM by PeterB.
Posted by: dmann
Date: September 11, 2012 10:07PM
Well, I hate Vegas, so there you go! smiling smiley

I love the culture of New Orleans. I love the food. I love the music. I have been there for Mardi Gras twice (post-college, but still in my 20s) and there for a few days of work/leisure during a more "normal" time of year when I was a bit older.

There is much more to NO than Bourbon St., but I have had some fun there, too (with my top ON, lest Rammie and Racer X get any ideas...)

DM
Posted by: Rolando
Date: September 11, 2012 10:19PM
I enjoyed cafe and beignets at Cafe DuMonde!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: September 12, 2012 06:15AM
New Orleans without seafood?!? GAAAH!

Well, okay, here's something most of the tourists will miss: check the calendar at Snug Harbor, which is on the other side of the French Quarter from Canal. If you'd been there this week, or were going next week, you'd have been able to catch Ellis Marsalis, but whomever is playing this weekends, it'll be well worth the time and tickets.

[www.snugjazz.com]

My other advice is to get out of the Quarter one afternoon and take the streetcar Uptown. Have a cocktail (or three) at The Columns and wander around a bit.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: September 12, 2012 06:18AM
tenders
I've only been to NOLA once and I stayed in a purportedly very nice hotel right around the corner from Bourbon Street.

The hotel was the worst of its chain I've ever seen or imagined. Ok, I thought, not great, but every hotel has an off day, maybe an off property here or there. As its namesake crackers go it was very very stale.

Bourbon Street is strictly for tourists and college kids, and not necessarily in that order. See it once, to see it, then get clear (although Redfish Grill, down near Canal, is pretty dependable for generic Brennans' food).

It's actually a lot seedier post-Katrina than it was before (a ton of mom-and-pop bars and souvenir joints closed and were replaced by even more strip clubs). I really didn't believe it could get any worse, but somehow it did...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2012 06:19AM by Will Collier.
Posted by: eburgian
Date: September 13, 2012 11:37AM
Check out Tuba Skinny on Royal Street

[tubaskinny.tk]

There's more to the French Quarter than Bourbon Street. And there's more to NOLA than the French Quarter. Judging all of NOLA by Bourbon Street isn't really the full picture.

Swamp tours and ghost tours are fun.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 129
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020