Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
FU Question on noise from engine when starting 95 Toyota Truck 4 CYL
Posted by: Microman
Date: September 12, 2012 07:20AM
[forums.macresource.com]

Since the time of the above post, I had to drive the car to the mountain area near us.

Just pulling into Running Springs, I broke the inner belt of the 3. It was very old, and went around the main engine, and the water pump, and the Alternator. I bought a belt, and had it replace.

During the replacing of course the outer two belts had to be removed. I did not think about replacing them at that time, or asking about whether the clutch on the ac, looked ok, or any tensioner.

But now ONLY ON START, do I get this screech noise for a few seconds or more, but I can drive to work, and all is quiet. But something at start up seems to be tight.

I have been hammered with work, and wife TO DO's, but tomorrow I am off, and will pull off the first belt, which is the Power Steering Belt, and then the AC belt, and see if I can see any obvious problems.

SCreeeeeech....

Doesnt seem to matter if AC is on now to make the noise.

......edit I did buy a can of Belt Dressing at Autozone, and sprayed the belts. Thought it helped before the broken belt, but even added some when I got home, but no help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2012 07:35AM by Microman.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: FU Question on noise from engine when starting 95 Toyota Truck 4 CYL
Posted by: billb
Date: September 12, 2012 07:31AM
screech can be slipping belt
possible glazing, possible from old belt being put back on in opposite direction from previous spin

may go away with re-break-in

belt dressing may help determine which one is slipping

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: September 12, 2012 08:39AM
If it doesn't have an autotensioner, a new belt sometimes needs to be reset after a few spins.

The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: September 12, 2012 09:54AM
Replace two other belts.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 12, 2012 10:05AM
billb
If it doesn't have an autotensioner, a new belt sometimes needs to be reset after a few spins.

agree smiley
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: September 12, 2012 11:16AM
Racer X
billb

agree smiley
Absolutely. Who knows how long that new belt hung there, folded tightly in it's cardboard sleeve, in a temperature-controlled warehouse or auto parts store? A few heat/cool cycles after being installed on the engine will enhance the belt's flexibility considerably, so it probably needs to be re-tensioned now that it has been in service for a while. While you've got the hood open and your tools out, it wouldn't hurt to check the tension on the outer two belts as well.
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: September 12, 2012 05:39PM
One of the 2 belts that was not replaced is slipping when the engine first starts up.

Replace them and the noise will go away.

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe

"If there is any fixed star in our constitutional constellation, it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion, or force citizens to confess by word or act their faith therein. If there are any circumstances which permit an exception, they do not now occur to us." Justice Robert Jackson
Date: September 12, 2012 06:26PM
I hope it's something as simple as this, anyway.

[soundcloud.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 166
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020