The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
any good slow cooker recipes?
Posted by: MacDoxy
Date: October 01, 2012 01:14AM
i got a 7qt slow cooker.
never had one before.
saw recipes online but i like first-hand advice someone has tried.
we're not huge fans of powdered onion soup.
looking for any recipe, but especially something that can be scaled up to the big crockpot.
healthier stuff is a plus. also simple ones might be fun.
thx
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: any good slow cooker recipes?
Posted by: M>B>
Date: October 01, 2012 02:58AM
A huge pot of chili or...

[www.recipesource.com]
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: October 01, 2012 04:34AM
Search this forum . . . this has been discussed a couple of times, at least. confused smiley

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: spacescape
Date: October 01, 2012 08:13AM
WHiiP
Search this forum . . . this has been discussed a couple of times, at least. confused smiley

I'm searching because I thought I had posted this question a few years back and had lots of great suggestions!!! Can't find them. sad smiley
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: October 01, 2012 08:13AM
Go to the library and check out Beth Hensperger's "Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook." Great recipes, no powdered, or canned, or other type of obnoxious soup. The pot roast is especially good.
Posted by: flareslow
Date: October 01, 2012 08:20AM
Someone on this forum posted this a long time ago. I have made it many times and really enjoy it.

Chicken Stew

Nine cups water
Ten chicken boullion cubes
Four boneless/skinless chicken breasts, cubed
One 8 ounce box wild rice (the real stuff, not those "blends")
One small yellow onion, minced
15-20 baby carrots, cut into chunks (1½ C)
15-20 celery sticks (or 3-4 full stalks), cut into chunks (1½ C)
1 tablespoon salt (Note: I cut the salt to 1 tsp.)
One pint heavy cream

Toss everything except the cream into a slow cooker and set on an 8 or 10 hour cook cycle. Go to work. On your way home, stop at the local mom-and-pop bakery and pick up a loaf of crusty French bread (or equivalent). Once you get home, stir the cream into the soup. Serve with crudely-torn chunk of bread and some VERY cold iced tea.

Makes probably 8-10 normal sized bowls so adjust as you deem necessary.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: October 01, 2012 10:58AM
justslowcooking.com

UGLY web site, but lots of ideas!

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: October 01, 2012 11:14AM
Butterbeans (large limas) and (pork) neck bones turn out very well when cooked in a crock pot. Unless you like gnawing on bones and watching out for less appetizing bits while eating, though, it's best to put the neck bones in a cheesecloth bag while cooking and then remove the meat from the bones and add it back to the butterbeans once they're done.

You can also substitute the "15 bean soup mix" for the butterbeans, but discard at least half of the included seasoning packet or it will be far too salty.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: October 01, 2012 01:52PM
Mac n Cheese Crockpot Recipe

2 cans of evaporated milk
2 cans of condensed cheese soup
2.5 cups water
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dry mustard
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 cups shredded Monterrey jack cheese
1 lb. elbow macaroni (but you can use just about anything that is stabable)

Bring milk, cheese soup water, salt, dry mustard, cayenne pepper to a bubbling simmer. You will want so stir frequently to prevent burning.

Spray the crock pot liner with with pam or another oil spray.

Once the liquid mixture is simmering, slowly whisk in the cheddar and Monterrey jack cheese until the mixture is smooth.

After the cheese is melted stir in the dry pasta. Pour liquid and pasta from pot into the crock pot liner. Stir the mixture in crock pot liner to make sure all pasta is covered in sauce. Set crock pot to high and let cook for 2 hours.

You will want to stir the contents of the crock pot 2 or three times during its cooking cycle. You may find it necessary to add a small amount of hot water to the crock pot when you do stir the pasta mixture.

After 2 hours is over, season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: freeradical
Date: October 01, 2012 07:02PM
Braised beef tongue
Posted by: Rolando
Date: October 01, 2012 08:01PM
A nice, cheap, tough pork loin. Onions, garlic, a little vinegar and tomato sauce. Start at midnight, shred and apply to toasted hamburger buns for lunch: delicious!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2012 08:02PM by Rolando.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 132
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020