The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Keep getting blocked plug-in message on Safari
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: October 01, 2012 10:38AM
Hi,

Maybe somebody can chime in on this:

My kids' iMac is updated to the current version of Mountain Lion (10.8.2) and all other software is up to date as well.

However, ever since I upgraded their iMac to Mountain Lion, Safari gives this annoying error about a "blocked plug-in" on any website where it looks like flash is trying to run. I get directed to download and install the latest version of flash. I do this but the problem remains. I've tried downloading and installing multiple times, restarting, etc., but I keep getting the error of "blocked plug-in."

Several of the school sanctioned websites and other educational sites my kids frequent run flash and so those parts of the site are unusable. They are getting frustrated and I'm getting frustrated.

Again, all my software is up to date and I've installed the latest version of flash.

I haven't tried Google Chrome yet, but may have to resort to that if I can't get this figured out.

Incidentally, I have a Mac mini also running 10.8.2 and don't have any issues at all.

Thanks for any input!

My music blog: [www.auditorymusings.net]

The Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, Colorado
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Keep getting blocked plug-in message on Safari
Posted by: saintyohann
Date: October 01, 2012 11:28AM
10.8 does that when ever the Flash plug-in is out of date. If it doesn't work with a regular install, remove Flash (the app to do so is in the Utilities folder), and then re-install.
Date: October 01, 2012 11:47AM
Thanks. I'll give that a shot.
Posted by: michaelb
Date: October 01, 2012 12:26PM
my memory is that the default security setting in 10.8 will block you from installing, so you need to adjust your security settings to allow the install of the plug in.
Date: October 03, 2012 01:08AM
Well, finally got it figured out after some help from you guys and some googling.

Turns out that if you d/l the "most up to date" flash installer from the Adobe site using Safari, it actually d/l's an out of date version.

So, what I had to do was uninstall flash (like was suggested above), delete the flash plug-in from Library, Internet plug-ins and then use Firefox to actually d/l the flash installer, install it and then re-launch Safari.

That did the trick and it's all working again.

Weird....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 121
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020