advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Noise emitting from Dell LCD monitor...what could it be?
Posted by: clay
Date: October 01, 2012 10:54AM
Started hearing a quiet, constant noise from one of my Dell 22" LCD displays...at first I thought it was the fan from my 2011 mini running constantly for some reason, but then I figured out that it was the display instead. Kind of sounds like either a very faint fan (less loud than the mini's fan under heavy load) or something power supply related...kind of a faint buzzing or constant noise.

The display is about 5 years old and well out of warranty, so I've gotten my money's worth, for sure. Just curious if this type of noise rings any bells for anyone and whether it could give me any idea of how soon I need to start looking for a new display!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Noise emitting from Dell LCD monitor...what could it be?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 01, 2012 10:58AM
Probably the high voltage power supply for the electro-luminescent backlight. The transformers tend to wear out after a large number of years (depends on materials used in their manufacture).

1- Make sure you have a smoke detector in your computer area. (No, they don't usually go up in flames, they normally just 'pop' and stop working. But better safe than sorry).

2- Start saving up for a replacement. Mmmmm.... Thunderbolt !
Posted by: MGS_forgot_password
Date: October 01, 2012 11:06AM
What cbelt said. Older (non-LED) LCD screens basically use little fluorescent bulbs for backlight. You know that whine fluorescent lights make when they are going bad? That's what you are hearing.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 01, 2012 12:26PM
....mating call....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Dick Moore
Date: October 01, 2012 06:14PM
And monitors also use high-efficiency switching -type power supplies and it could be that as well. In general, transformers don't "wear out" but they do sometimes die by going open or shorting out some windings. But as they get older various parts of the transformers can start to vibrate mechanically, and that makes noise. Use it 'til it starts to bug you, then recycle it.

What it is, man, a low-down and funky feelin'
Posted by: Gareth
Date: October 02, 2012 03:54PM
If it is backlight related, it might be possible to adjust the backlight level until the noise stops and hopefully you find an acceptable working level as well. I did that with a 37" LCD TV I had.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 114
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020