advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
how about a Mac question: multiple users logged in with their own GUI?
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 26, 2012 11:22AM
OS X 10.6.8

When I try screen sharing from one Mac to another, I can see the other Mac's desktop. but if I use a diffeernt username, I still see the same desktop (whoever is logged in on the host mac); Is it possible to enble a second GUI?

OK, let me explain again; remote Mac has 2 users, "A" and "B"

if "A" is logged in, and they do something, and I go to another Mac in the house and I do screen sharing and I log into "remote" mac as user "A", I see the same screen as user "A" who is sitting there working on that Mac. That makese sense

if "A" is logged in, and they do something, and I go to another Mac in the house and I do screen sharing and I log into "remote" mac as user "B", I see the same screen as user "A" who is sitting there working on that Mac. I would like to see a different desktop, i.e. user "B" desktop. Is this possible?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: how about a Mac question: multiple users logged in with their own GUI?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 26, 2012 11:24AM
What you're describing isn't 'screen sharing'. It's server functionality.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: October 26, 2012 11:32AM
That would be a Terminal Server... and there is at least one Mac software package that does it... but it ain't free (and ain't cheap, as I recall). AquaConnect is the name.

OR... you could set up server-hosted accounts on an OSX Server, and each user could log into their own "user space" from any computer on the network. Their files, desktop, dock, prefs, etc.
This would be easier and cheaper than a Terminal Server for Macs (an idea I research briefly last year, only to find that the technology though common on Windows, is not on the Mac).

Hope this helps.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: modelamac
Date: October 26, 2012 11:34AM
You will only be able to share the screen that is active, (A) in your example. You will be able to log into other accounts on that Mac, but not share the screen. The only "screen" that exists is the active screen.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Date: October 26, 2012 11:51AM
cbelt3
What you're describing isn't 'screen sharing'. It's server functionality.

correct, I don't want screen "sharing", I want a new screen. I used this on Spark workstations back in school, I thought something like this can easily be done on a Mac.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: October 26, 2012 12:33PM
If I'm understanding you right, it CAN...
It's called having the user folders on the server, which is pretty easy to set up.
Or a Terminal Server... which ISN'T easy...
Tough to say without more info. smiling smiley

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2012 12:33PM by Paul F..
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: October 26, 2012 12:38PM
Use OS 10.7.

When I connect to another user's Mac using Screen sharing in 10.7 using a different account on that Mac that the current user is logged in to, I get a choice of seeing the current user's desktop (same as 10.6) or to set up a desktop for my user.

This sounds like what you want. I've never actually done the "new Desktop for my user option" as I only use sharing for IT support, but it looks like it does what you want.
Posted by: Acer
Date: October 26, 2012 01:48PM
I use this feature in 10.8. If the kids are using the kid mac, I can log into my own account on the kid mac from my laptop just as if I were there, without interrupting them.

This was not a feature in 10.6 as far as I can tell. It just magically showed up after the Mountain Lion upgrade from 10.6 (I skipped 10.7).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2012 01:49PM by Acer.
Posted by: lazydays
Date: October 26, 2012 02:09PM
Hey, here's something I actually know about. In 10.6.8 screen sharing only works for the primary account it is activated for. Screen sharing is really just a vnc server that runs on port 5900.

So if you want to connect to another users desktop you have to run an aftermarket vnc server from that users account and run it on a port other than 5900. I used 5901 but you could use whatever open port you wanted to. Vince server would probably do the trick for you [sourceforge.net] .

Then put the screen sharing app into your desktop by dragging it there from /System » Library » CoreServices » Screen Sharing.app . Then when you click on the app you enter the ip address of the machine you want to connect to along with the port number. It will look like 10.0.0.4:5901 .

Also, moving to 10.7 solves the problem and makes it more simple. When you connect using screen sharing it asks what account you want to attach to.

Good luck!
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 26, 2012 02:32PM
That's in 10.7 ? Woah. Cool. Do you have to use another 10.7 or 10.8 Mac to use it ?

May have to play with one of the kids MBP's tonight. ANOTHER Reason to get me a new Mini.
Date: October 26, 2012 02:48PM
thanks all, very useful sugestions.

I have a MBP with dual boot, so I can try 10.7. I only tried it before with 10.6.8

Also I can look into other software sollutions mentioned here.

The idea was/is that if I get a Mini hooked up to TV and if we play a movie, I still want to be able to log into the Mini with another accound to do other tasks, like shedule backups, rip a DVD, etc.

Thanks a lot for the very useful comments, I didn't know this was a new feature in 10.7/10.8
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 26, 2012 03:04PM
cbelt3
That's in 10.7 ? Woah. Cool. Do you have to use another 10.7 or 10.8 Mac to use it ?

May have to play with one of the kids MBP's tonight. ANOTHER Reason to get me a new Mini.

Not cool, unless you are using the Mini as a server and want everyone logging in with virtual sessions. If you just want simple screen sharing you have to install a VNC server.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: October 26, 2012 03:27PM
C(-)ris
cbelt3

Not cool, unless you are using the Mini as a server and want everyone logging in with virtual sessions. If you just want simple screen sharing you have to install a VNC server.

why are you saying this is not "cool"? why do you need to install a VNC server? if you log in with the same user as the user currently logged in, you should see the same desktop and share control of the machine, is that so?
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 26, 2012 03:40PM
If you just want simple screen sharing you have to install a VNC server.

At this point, simple screen sharing or any screen sharing is not the goal. It's having two separate users using two separate accounts simultaneously on the same network.

unless you are using the Mini as a server and want everyone logging in with virtual sessions.

I think that's the whole point of the original post.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 26, 2012 08:58PM
space-time
C(-)ris
cbelt3

why are you saying this is not "cool"? why do you need to install a VNC server? if you log in with the same user as the user currently logged in, you should see the same desktop and share control of the machine, is that so?

If there are 20 users on be machine how do you tell who is actually logged in to be able to see their screen?

What if you have it connected to a TV but have 5 different accounts that may want to control what is on the TV? How do you tell which account is actually on the monitor?

There are plenty of ways the new Lion screen sharing is great. There are plenty of reasons why it sucks. I'd rather have the old way.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2012 09:01PM by C(-)ris.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 26, 2012 09:45PM
way too.

guido.

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 79
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020