advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
handbrake and black and white shows
Posted by: lazydays
Date: November 06, 2012 12:13AM
I've been encoding Father Knows Best which is in black and white. I've noticed some jaggies that I normally don't see when encoding a video. My bitrate is plenty high so I know that's not the problem. Thoughts?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: handbrake and black and white shows
Date: November 06, 2012 12:36AM
Ok, side note, I'm watching an episode where they are painting the kitchen and Bud asks, "does paint have lead in it?" and his mother says, "of course it does!" Too funny.
Posted by: bik
Date: November 06, 2012 01:40AM
I'll guess the jaggies you're referring to are the interlacing scan lines.

Old fashioned way to deal with it = deinterlacing
New way = decamping

[trac.handbrake.fr]
Posted by: mikebw
Date: November 06, 2012 07:31AM
bik
I'll guess the jaggies you're referring to are the interlacing scan lines.

Old fashioned way to deal with it = deinterlacing
New way = decamping

[trac.handbrake.fr]

I think you meant Decombing - [trac.handbrake.fr]
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: November 06, 2012 07:32AM
I've found that a 25-30 minute show does extremely well if set it 2 pass, turbo first pass and 350mb target size. I ripped
my wife's compete series of Gilligan's Island with these settings and you can't tell them from the original. Takes a while
but if have multiple drives you can queue up 2 discs and let her rip.

I didn't use decombing and had no jaggies. I believe I read that decombing will result in less contrast of your rip but
I may be thinking of something else.

Grateful11

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2012 07:35AM by Grateful11.
Date: November 06, 2012 08:20AM
mikebw
I think you meant Decombing - [trac.handbrake.fr]

You are quite right. Oops! I can't even blame Siri for that... hmmm...
Date: November 06, 2012 08:34AM
Grateful11
I've found that a 25-30 minute show does extremely well if set it 2 pass, turbo first pass and 350mb target size.

A two-pass with turbo first pass does do very well if you want to use a target file size, as you did. But, the Handbrake people don't recommend that setting any longer. The default "Constant Quality" setting gives reliably better results in a shorter time.

Of course, if it is important to you to have a limited and consistent file size, the target size setting is a good option.

Grateful11
I didn't use decombing and had no jaggies. I believe I read that decombing will result in less contrast of your rip but

This completely depends on the source material. If the source material is interlaced and you don't do anything about it, you'll see the jaggies.

Contract is not going to be an issue, but if you mean to say that you lose sharpness with deinterlacing, you're right. This is the price paid for getting rid of jaggies, and the reason you would not want to use the deinterlace setting when you don't have to.

Decombing, on the other hand, addresses this problem by only fixing the frames where interlacing would have been a problem, leaving other frames alone. Therefore, you can leave the Decombing option on all the time without worrying about quality problems.
Date: November 06, 2012 08:52AM
thank you!
Posted by: bwicklander
Date: November 06, 2012 03:37PM
If you want your rips to go faster - set up a RamDisc and have the file output it to the ram disc. Half hour shows are done in 7 minutes well YMMV. I set up a 4gb ramdisc and do a batch.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: November 06, 2012 04:58PM
bik
Grateful11
I've found that a 25-30 minute show does extremely well if set it 2 pass, turbo first pass and 350mb target size.

A two-pass with turbo first pass does do very well if you want to use a target file size, as you did. But, the Handbrake people don't recommend that setting any longer. The default "Constant Quality" setting gives reliably better results in a shorter time.

Of course, if it is important to you to have a limited and consistent file size, the target size setting is a good option.

Grateful11

This completely depends on the source material. If the source material is interlaced and you don't do anything about it, you'll see the jaggies.

Contract is not going to be an issue, but if you mean to say that you lose sharpness with deinterlacing, you're right. This is the price paid for getting rid of jaggies, and the reason you would not want to use the deinterlace setting when you don't have to.

Decombing, on the other hand, addresses this problem by only fixing the frames where interlacing would have been a problem, leaving other frames alone. Therefore, you can leave the Decombing option on all the time without worrying about quality problems.

I was ending up with some 800mb files on some episodes and I tried my settings to get it down to 350mb
and did a test with my wife and she couldn't tell any difference between the 800mb and the 350mb file.
My 2Tb ext. is half full right now and I still have a lot series box sets to rip so space is at a premium.

You're right I meant sharpness on the decombing.

Grateful11
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 102
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020