advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Still no power in my home...
Posted by: wowzer
Date: November 06, 2012 01:03AM
and gasoline is nearly impossible to find. Sandy has not been kind to us Long Islanders.

It is a very lucky thing that I could hole up in my mother's house for the duration.

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Still no power in my home...
Posted by: SteveO
Date: November 06, 2012 01:04AM
Sorry to hear that. Hope the lights (and heat) are back on soon.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: November 06, 2012 01:29AM
Glad you have somewhere to go, Hang in there.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: November 06, 2012 01:29AM
Really hard for the rest of us in most of the country to imagine what u guys r going thru up there. I have relatives in LI as well. Hang in there...
Posted by: pipiens
Date: November 06, 2012 02:55AM
Bummer !!!

There may be another storm on the way just to add to your amusement.

Let us know how you make out.
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: November 06, 2012 05:03AM
Obviously good that you had somewhere else to go. Keep the spirits up . . . I'd go with Wild Turkey!!! grinning smiley drink smiley

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: samintx
Date: November 06, 2012 05:18AM
We are thinking about you and praying your discomfort will be short lived.
Date: November 06, 2012 06:59AM
It's been an interesting time. We've had a command center up and running in the hospital since the storm--we've moved heaven and earth to stay open for those who had to be evacuated. I cant believe that it has only been a week since the storm--it feels like a month.

Personally, we've managed to donate some food and clothing for folks who are far worse off than ourselves. There are people whose who houses are gone (or nearly completely gone) and they have been living in shelters since the event. Socks, underwear, shirts, pants, and now jackets are really important to them. Of course, now that most gas tanks are empty, it's really hard to get the donations to those folks. Last night at 2am, on the way back from the hospital, the line for gasoline to the only station open was at least 7 blocks long--by way of comparison, on the same drive back, there are usually 13 gas stations to get fuel. Glad I didn't have to get gas yet. The subways are beginning to run, so the situation isn't that bad in the city. In the suburbs, my neighbors are in dire straits. I've given the keys to my other car to my immediate neighbors in case they run out of gas. I am hoping that power will be restored soon as it has gone below freezing at night. Without electricity, there is no way to heat the house...pretty miserable condition.

Posted by: blooz
Date: November 06, 2012 07:02AM
Good luck. I hope your problems ease up soon. Good for you helping neighbors. I hope there is a lot of that going on.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: DP
Date: November 06, 2012 07:13AM
With that new storm coming I hope it's on soon. Thoughts and prayers that you recover quickly.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 06, 2012 07:17AM
Hope things improve for you soon. My aunt and uncle in Glen Cove are doing OK... plenty of firewood for the fireplace, and a natural gas fueled generator. I believe they are currently hosting both daughters, sons in law, and all three grandchildren. And knowing them, they're probably hosting a few other friends and neighbors as well.

We got power in NE Ohio in a couple of days, but were hosting our two resident homeless college students and two of their friends who were also powerless and getting cold. We didn't have power, but a battery sump pump kept the floods at bay, a solar panel and storage battery kept the iPhones charged, and the gas fireplace kept us warm.

Don't forget to deal with the fridge before it gets too gnarly in there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2012 07:20AM by cbelt3.
Posted by: testcase
Date: November 06, 2012 07:56AM
No generator?
Posted by: vision63
Date: November 06, 2012 11:58AM
Homie, I hope you get your life back right soon. Hang in there.
Posted by: GeneL
Date: November 06, 2012 12:38PM
From what I've heard from my friend in the Bronx, the gas shortage is another big problem besides no electricity.

I'm so amazed to see how bad the situation has been in the NY area.

Growing up in New Rochelle, I never saw such a terrible effect from the weather.

I will be glad to hear that your power is back on.

Keep us posted.

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Date: November 06, 2012 04:20PM
Thanks for the words, folks. It's amazing how tenuous civilization really is...1 storm and the megatropolis tri-state area becomes a second world country. At least in NYC, many of the power lines are buried and therefore more resistant to storms.

Long Island simply does not have any recourse...with over 90% of homes without electricity as a result of down power lines, LIPA simply cannot do anymore. I don't blame them...or any utility for their response, but it is getting cold our way and another noreaster coming will make things worse.

It sure is interesting times...

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 06, 2012 08:58PM
some places in NJ still don't have power and NJ Transit still isn't working......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: GeneL
Date: November 06, 2012 09:05PM
Yay!

My friend n the Bronx fnally has electricity again.

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: November 07, 2012 02:34AM
We finally got our power back on tonight/this morning. Still plenty of problems in the neighborhood. So grateful that it wasn't worse here in our little buildings: we had gas and running cold water throughout, and got emergency heat and funky hot water from an emergency heating unit starting last Thursday. So we stayed fairly warm and could bathe through most of it. The emergency unit will be in place until a new boiler can be installed. There are many advantages to NOT living in a highrise. Like not having to haul buckets of water up 10 flights of stairs to flush your toilet…

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2012 02:35AM by ka jowct.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 102
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020