advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Remember the woman who was driving on the sidewalk to pass the school bus?
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: November 09, 2012 05:43PM
[www.geekologie.com]

Woman Drives On Sidewalk To Get Around Bus Unloading Children, Ordered To Stand On Corner Wearing 'Idiot' Sign

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Remember the woman who was driving on the sidewalk to pass the school bus?
Posted by: DRR
Date: November 09, 2012 06:39PM
Does that not fall under "unusual" (cruel and unusual) punishment?

Seems pretty petty to me. Is her holding a sign like that, really going to deter other sidewalk-drivers? Not saying she isn't an idiot, but the punishment seems out of line if you ask me.
Posted by: DavidS
Date: November 09, 2012 06:46PM
The more disturbing video is the one below of her mother defending her daughter's actions. The school bus that held her up is for special needs kids and takes too long to get the kids on and off the bus. Evidently, the apple didn't fall too far from the tree in that family.

Having a daughter who rides a similar bus, this infuriates me to no end. Frankly, she got off too easy. Lost her license for only 30 days? For this type of offense, she should have lost it much longer, if not permanently.

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2012 06:49PM by DavidS.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: November 09, 2012 06:53PM
DRR

Seems pretty petty to me. Is her holding a sign like that, really going to deter other sidewalk-drivers? Not saying she isn't an idiot, but the punishment seems out of line if you ask me.

i think she got off easy. i suppose our jails are too crowded for this but a few days inside would have seriously readjusted her outlook.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 09, 2012 06:55PM
Bugger that. Make her clean up the school cafeteria for a year.
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 09, 2012 07:01PM
cbelt3
Bugger that. Make her clean up the school cafeteria for a year.

This! and after cleaning the cafeteria, clean the bathrooms too!
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: November 09, 2012 07:11PM
Personally, I think she got off way too easy.

And another vote for the cafeteria bit.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 09, 2012 07:13PM
DRR
... Is her holding a sign like that, really going to deter other sidewalk-drivers? ...

Dunno, but according to the link she has (or had?) to wear a sign that included the part about driving around the bus. Might deter others if they realize somebody's aware of the activity.
Date: November 09, 2012 07:20PM
graylocks
DRR

i think she got off easy. i suppose our jails are too crowded for this but a few days inside would have seriously readjusted her outlook.

Agree that she got off too easy.

But isn't suspending her license for, hypothetically, a year, plus make her do some community service, (perhaps at the school, like the cafeteria idea) a better and more fitting punishment than 30 days suspension and wearing a sign? Plus, the school and the kids are better off.

And less taxing on city resources than jail time? The sign bit seems more like the work of a bully, than a judge that's thinking clearly. I'm sure there's more to the legal process than that, but it's my gut reaction.
Date: November 09, 2012 07:36PM
DRR
The sign bit seems more like the work of a bully, than a judge that's thinking clearly. I'm sure there's more to the legal process than that, but it's my gut reaction.

given the mom's lying justification of the situation, i wouldn't be surprised if the driver gave the judge attitude during the proceedings and the sign thing was a response to her being an ass who didn't think she did anything wrong. sometimes when people are full of themselves they are begging to be publicly taken down a peg. where are the public stockades when you need 'em?

a much longer license suspension would have been appropriate. who knows what other poor/dangerous decisions this woman makes when she gets behind the wheel!

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: slbett
Date: November 09, 2012 07:52PM
She did it more than once. People called police and they had the bus stop staked out to catch her in the act.

Now, I believe she got off way to easy.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 09, 2012 08:38PM
I really think they should suspend licenses FAR more often than they do. It's a privelege, not a right. She proved she disregards the laws, safety of others and common sense. Not someone who deserves the PRIVELEGE of driving.
Posted by: Manlove
Date: November 09, 2012 09:53PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again...put her in the stocks. A few hours, with a description of her crime on a board next to her, in a prominent spot in the neighbourhood, a bucket of rotten fruit and Bob's your uncle...
Posted by: freeradical
Date: November 10, 2012 12:01AM
No
Posted by: vision63
Date: November 10, 2012 07:58AM
Like Graylocks said, she probably irked the judge in some manner. Otherwise, they can only punish her based on the penalties associated with the law(s) that she violated.
Date: November 12, 2012 10:02AM
vision63
Like Graylocks said, she probably irked the judge in some manner. Otherwise, they can only punish her based on the penalties associated with the law(s) that she violated.

Yes I understand there are limits to the penalties. But in a way you contradict yourself here. The judge can assign a punishment of holding a sign, because the judge got pissed off (and really this should not be the case, judges should not be assigning penalties based on personal feelings)?

Clearly the judge assigned this penalty, outside of what is on the books for the law(s) she violated.
Date: November 13, 2012 09:08AM
DRR
vision63

Yes I understand there are limits to the penalties. But in a way you contradict yourself here. The judge can assign a punishment of holding a sign, because the judge got pissed off (and really this should not be the case, judges should not be assigning penalties based on personal feelings)?

Clearly the judge assigned this penalty, outside of what is on the books for the law(s) she violated.

just saw a news piece on the woman's first day of standing. the judge was interviewed and said chances are if she had shown some remorse i would not have given her that part of the sentence. so my guess that she showed attitude was correct. the report also indicated that the punishment was fully within the judges discretionary powers for penance - a word i thought only catholics used, btw.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 86
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020