advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Best bang for buck all-season tires?
Posted by: miK.
Date: November 13, 2012 11:52AM
OEM tires on the Fusion are nearing end of days with winter upon us in the Northeast.
They are Goodyear Assurance tires, and were decent but not great in the winter.

I've read a bit online, but there are so many choices. This was helpful: [www.autoguide.com]

I looked at the Continental ProContact EcoPlus, but have heard mixed reviews on them.
I can browse tirerack, but again, there's a lot of options.

Anyone replaced stock tires recently with some good all-seasons that can weigh in?

Thanks!

Sometimes I wonder, "What would Hodor say in this situation?" - Jim Gaffigan

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Best bang for buck all-season tires?
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: November 13, 2012 12:09PM
I put Nokian Entyres on my wife's Subie Outback; they're supposed to be pretty good in snow, but I can't say, as I swap them for Michelin winter tires for Dec-Feb or so. My mechanic says his wife runs them all year and they're fine:

[www.nokiantires.com]

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 11am Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: microchip
Date: November 13, 2012 12:11PM
A few of my friends run Continental DWS and really like them.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 13, 2012 12:19PM
I like 3-season tires, not typical 4-season tires. That 4th season puts a serious compromise in the other 3. Let it go and use dedicated winter tires for winter and then store in the garage.

Winter tires are easy to spot because they're clearly marketed as being geared for ice and cold weather, not just snow. What I refer to as 3-season tires are often marketed as "ultra high performance all season tires."

Wait -- what?

For a 3-season tire look for an all-season tire that's not all-season: Meaning, it does well in the rain but has warnings about snow and ice. But without the "ultra" (again, this is a popular marketing, not technical term) it's only a "high performance all-season" tire and will lack the snow/ice warning and dry performance will suffer unnecessarily.

Gimme your tire size and I'll show you what I mean.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: November 13, 2012 12:41PM
I searched a long time for some tires for a Toyota Avalon and came up with some Pirellis. A recent Consumer Reports had them at number 4, I think. I read where the New York City underground police department uses them. I'm not sure of the model number, but they are well under $100 each.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: November 13, 2012 12:45PM
I use the reviews at tirerack.com
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 13, 2012 01:22PM
Big fan of Bridgestone Potenza RE960/760 tires. They are not snow tires and I've never used them in the snow, but they reportedly do OK in light snow. They are fantastic in rain and dry weather driving.
Posted by: Go To Top
Date: November 13, 2012 01:26PM
tirerack.com

americantire.com

A man who is of "sound mind" is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key.
(Paul Valery)
Posted by: miK.
Date: November 13, 2012 02:11PM
deckeda
Let it go and use dedicated winter tires for winter and then store in the garage.

Not an option. Walkup apartment dweller here with minimal storage and no garage.
Thanks for the tips, though, folks... may take another look at the Conti's.

Sometimes I wonder, "What would Hodor say in this situation?" - Jim Gaffigan

Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: November 13, 2012 02:17PM
I've been using Continental Extreme Contact DWS tries for a few years now. I like them.
Posted by: decay
Date: November 13, 2012 02:21PM
does Yokohama have an all-season tire? i like that brand.

---
Posted by: andypie48
Date: November 13, 2012 04:07PM
I read this article waiting at the tire shop:
[www.automobilemag.com]
Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 13, 2012 04:24PM
Bridgestone Ecopias on the Mountaineer. Rated M/S, low rolling resistance. Fuel economy went from 13 to 14 in the city too.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: November 13, 2012 04:29PM
miK.
deckeda
Let it go and use dedicated winter tires for winter and then store in the garage.

Not an option. Walkup apartment dweller here with minimal storage and no garage.
Thanks for the tips, though, folks... may take another look at the Conti's.

Reportedly, some tire dealers or garages will store your off-season tires and wheels for you. Fortunately, I have a garage. Up to a couple of years ago, though, I always ran all-seasons in New England. But I was convinced by articles like the one andypie48 posted to spend the extra money and buy winter tires for the wife's car. I still run Goodyear Wranglers all year on my full-size van, though.

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: Go To Top
Date: November 13, 2012 04:51PM
I have used Yokos for the last 20 years. Never change.

A man who is of "sound mind" is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key.
(Paul Valery)
Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 13, 2012 10:13PM
an add-on to the Bridgestone Ecopias is that the nominal extra cost is payed back in about a year just from the fuel savings.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 14, 2012 06:12PM
Last weekend I bought a set of Michelin Defender all-season tires for my VW Passat from Sears (195/65R15 for $129 each plus tax, mounting, balancing, etc. w/$70 total rebate on the set.). 90k mile warranty. I live in flat country but we can get a fair amount of snow and our local roads can stay snow and ice covered for months at a time. But most of our driving is on bare pavement. No real reason for snow tires, it'll go through six inches of snow which is when it runs out of clearance and snow tires would then make no difference. My OEM Michelins went 98k miles. No more 30k mile junk tires anymore. And these are supposed to have a fairly low rolling resistance for my Diesel car.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 73
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020