advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
have you ever been shot at?
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 20, 2012 09:50PM
this is a follow up to "have you ever killed somebody?" and "Have you ever thrilled anyone?"

I was driving today at noon time through the streets of Trenton, NJ (don't ask what I was doing there). I am in the left lane, and I noticed the car in the right lane ahead of me had 4 bullet holes in the driver's side door and one in the driver's side window. It seems the holes in the door were somehow plugged, maybe with boddy filler, but I could still see the metal dented. The window was cracked, but it seemed like the bulled didn't make it through, or if it made it through, it left a very small hole.

So now here is the question: have you ever been shot at? somebody shooting at you, accidentally or not? robbery? war? domestic dispute?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: have you ever been shot at?
Posted by: Don C
Date: November 20, 2012 09:55PM
I've been shot down but never shot at.
Posted by: btfc
Date: November 20, 2012 10:01PM
My birthday was a few weeks ago. I had a bonfire party the night before, and then camped, Early the next morning, I was awoken by three shots that sounded really close. As I was looking around, I saw a SUV drive in, so I jumped in my truck and went over to say WTF!! They killed a deer +/- 150 ft. from where I was sleeping. It was a sheriff deputy's 12 year old kid.

They shot Bambi!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2012 10:25PM by btfc.
Posted by: Carm
Date: November 20, 2012 10:12PM
I plead the fifth.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 20, 2012 10:14PM
Yes, and I have the scar to prove it.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: November 20, 2012 10:25PM
I had someone try to shoot me when I was the night manager in a midtown NYC recording studio, the night before Christmas Eve back in the mid 80's. He wasn't successful.

JoeM
Posted by: davester
Date: November 20, 2012 10:35PM
Yes, many times.

We are talking about paintball, right?

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Wags
Date: November 20, 2012 10:38PM
Yes
Posted by: Black
Date: November 20, 2012 10:44PM
I've had multiple (9 to be precise) shots fired in my direction when I was about 30 feet away (nobody was hit), been about 10 feet from someone unloading a gun from a bridge into a car below, and been on the wrong end of a freshly drawn service revolver pointed at someone a few feet behind me, and been outside about 1/2 block away from shootings multiple times, but that's about it.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: andypie48
Date: November 20, 2012 11:09PM
kent state. 1970. not hit.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: November 20, 2012 11:21PM
andypie48
kent state. 1970. not hit.

really? whoa!

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: November 20, 2012 11:35PM
Not pointed at me, but a shot fired maybe 15 feet away from my head.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: November 20, 2012 11:46PM
Max takes a shot anytime he runs across one of my posts, hasn't hit me yet.

Many years ago friends and I picked up a visitor at LAX. On the way back to the Valley nature called and I exited at Moranga to allow the passenger relief under an overpass. This is an exit is about as busy as as my driveway at 3AM. As he was expelling the contents of whatever he consumed on the plane, a car came flying off the exit ramp about 60 feet in front of us. The car hit a telephone pole dead on and crumpled around it. It was followed by a CHIP, who exited his car gun drawn.

The poor bastard we were ferrying stopped in mid piss as we all clamored back into the van. The only exit was to pass the wreckage and gun drawn cop. I drove, idled actually, as slow as possible, didn't to startle anyone.

As we approached, the cop swerved pointed his gun at the van (me) raised his arm and shot in the air. He then lowered the weapon pointed it at me and said "get the @#$%& out of here". I hesitated and turned to my lawyer passenger who said "get the @#$%& gone". I did.

We later scoured news reports for a clue about what it was all about, there were none.

So while I haven't been shot at, I have had a cop draw down on me.
Posted by: M>B>
Date: November 21, 2012 12:04AM
Three of us were walking in a line pheasant hunting and we flushed a bird that flew left the guy on the right swung his gun left I fell backwards to my back and he let off a shot, missed and I am alive to talk about it!
Posted by: graylocks
Date: November 21, 2012 12:07AM
M>B>
Three of us were walking in a line pheasant hunting and we flushed a bird that flew left the guy on the right swung his gun left I fell backwards to my back and he let off a shot, missed and I am alive to talk about it!

and you never went hunting with Dick Cheney again, right?

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: $tevie
Date: November 21, 2012 12:13AM
jest smiley

Posted by: hal
Date: November 21, 2012 12:15AM
Once when I drove fast into the parking area behind an apt building I lived in in the 80s a startled young woman police officer leveled her weapon right at me. I did not see that just as I was pulling in, cops were converging on a building around the corner. I just yelled out at her, I LIVE HERE!", got out and went into my apt.

Never been near shots fired in anger thankfully...
Posted by: (vikm)
Date: November 21, 2012 12:19AM
I don't know. I do know I've never been hit, though.
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: November 21, 2012 12:33AM
No. But I had a guy pull a knife on me while I was trying to keep him and his buddies from stealing my bicycle. I kept my bike, btw.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2012 12:33AM by Uncle Wig.
Posted by: vision63
Date: November 21, 2012 12:43AM
I got shot in my right hip when I was 13 (14? I forget). Just under my belt. By a girl no less. She looked to be about 16 or 17. I was on our back porch about to go inside when I heard a girl yell at me. I turned my head and this smiling young woman lowered a rifle from the backyard kitty corner to ours and fired a shot. I felt it hit my hip, but it didn't really hurt. I quickly jumped into the house and closed the door. When I looked out of the window she was laughing. I was coming from school.

It was a trip because I didn't know her and had never seen her before. I never did anything bad. The spot where I got hit was numb. It was hard to see and it went through my jeans. I went to the bathroom and pulled my pants down enough to try to see what happened and there was a small hole and little bit of blood. There was also what looked like liquid to me. I didn't know what to do. It wasn't like the movies where you when you get shot you know it.

For some reason I didn't want my mother to know. It felt embarrassing to me for some stupid reason. My sister came home and it was more numb but it still didn't really hurt. I tried to ignore it. Leslie (my sister) asked "what's wrong with you?" I said "nothing, I'm fine."

My mother came home from work. I always went outside to open the garage door and greet her and to tote her things into the house. So I went outside but I must have been a little slow because she said "what's wrong with you? Why are you limping?" I stopped limping and pretended to be fine. For some reason I thought it would go away.

As the evening wore in, it started to swell up and hurt. We were watching TV and my mother kept asking me what was the matter? I kept pretending that I was fine. I told her I was sleepy was gonna go to bed. I went to the bathroom and saw my hip. It was big. I was scared. It was really starting to hurt. I still didn't want to say anything. So I laid down and it just got worse and worse. I was sweating. My sister finally came to bed and she could tell that something was wrong. She started crying and went to tell my mother that something was wrong. I was messed up.

My mother pulled the cover back and saw it. It was a lot of wet sweat and blood. She almost passed out "Oh heavenly father!!!" Leslie was crying. My brother Doug came home and mom told him to get the car out and they drove me to Harbor General Hospital. They gave me 1000 shots, looked for the bullet and never found it. They said it was a .22.

They kept me in the hospital, my mother yelling at me for not saying anything. My mother worked for LAPD and my sister said that every cop in the universe was at the house and knocked on every door within a 2 mile radius. Never found her. My mother took off from work and came to school with me for 2 months straight. Every kid at school knew my mother.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: November 21, 2012 01:04AM
A .22 is a dangerous round, especially if it's shot from a rifle. The muzzle velocity is quite high, and a round can penetrate quite deep.

A .22 short shot from a rifle has a higher velocity and comparable energy to a .32 auto.

A .22 long rifle round can have muzzle velocities in excess of 1600 fps...
Date: November 21, 2012 01:09AM
freeradical
A .22 is a dangerous round, especially if it's shot from a rifle. The muzzle velocity is quite high, and a round can penetrate quite deep.

A .22 short shot from a rifle has a higher velocity and comparable energy to a .32 auto.

A .22 long rifle round can have muzzle velocities in excess of 1600 fps...

Wow. Didn't know any of that. They never found a bullet, so they could have maybe been wrong? I healed up pretty quickly after that.
Posted by: davester
Date: November 21, 2012 01:15AM
I sure am glad that you're alive to tell the tale vision63. That sounds just like something I would do.

I've never been shot at but I've been held up at knifepoint...felt the steel jabbed into my gut, but only far enough to threaten, not maim. I handed over the cashbox without a second thought.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 21, 2012 05:51AM
Yes. During the Pakistani revolution in 1980's. AK47's do have a distinctive sound. So do those HK knockoffs they use. And so does the sound of an unarmed geeky engineer running and hiding. (Hint .. Lots of soft 'eek' noises. And 'O crap ')
Posted by: Tommie Milwaukee
Date: November 21, 2012 06:03AM
I could never have a gun in the house. One of my wives would've used it on me.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: November 21, 2012 06:04AM
This is the AK-47 assault rifle, the preferred weapon of your enemy;
and it makes a distinctive sound when fired at you,
so remember it.

Truer words were never spoken.
And, you never forget that sound!

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Posted by: BillMac
Date: November 21, 2012 06:12AM
I'm pretty sure that I was shot at when I was younger. My friends and I were playing around on a huge stone pile at a quarry. We heard shots from the adjacent woods and then the 'zzzzzzzzzzzz' sounds overhead. It sounded like a fairly small caliber, maybe a .22. I don't know if we were being shot AT or just NEAR to scare us.

As for my current job, not yet. I'm fairly certain it will happen sooner or later. I've been around shots being fired, but not at me.

-Bill
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: November 21, 2012 06:29AM
I was just awoken by a gunshot, I still have one good ear. Sounded like a
a high powered rifle. I rarely hear anything from within my bedroom so it
had too be fairly close. Definitely not the same as being shot at but it's
still a little startling.

Grateful11
Posted by: lost in space
Date: November 21, 2012 08:23AM
wags, racerx, care to elaborate?

Around 1977 I was driving a taxi in Napa, CA and picked up a teenager who wanted to go to Sonoma, about 20 mi away. We usually got the fare before leaving town, but he seemed like a nice kid and said he would get the money from his girlfriend's mom when we got there. We pulled up to a house and he went up and rang the doorbell. A middle-aged guy answered the door, and the kid ran back to the car, got in and told me to get away. The guy got in his car and chased us, firing a couple of rounds. Luckily, I knew where the police station was, so I drove straight there and the guy took off. Turns out the kid was boinking the guy's wife. I don't know if the guy really trying to shoot us, or just firing into the air to scare us, but scare us it did. I was out the fare, about $20.
Posted by: threeprong
Date: November 21, 2012 08:33AM
with rubber bands
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 21, 2012 08:46AM
my doctor's office [during flu season].....and it always hurts.......!!!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2012 08:46AM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 21, 2012 08:54AM
RgrF
So while I haven't been shot at, I have had a cop draw down on me.

Just one, Rog? I've had a dozen or so, all at the same time. Also in the Valley - what a lovely place!

(Where the hell is the Moronga exit?)

It is what it is.
Date: November 21, 2012 09:58AM
lost in space
wags, racerx, care to elaborate?

Around 1977 I was driving a taxi in Napa, CA and picked up a teenager who wanted to go to Sonoma, about 20 mi away. We usually got the fare before leaving town, but he seemed like a nice kid and said he would get the money from his girlfriend's mom when we got there. We pulled up to a house and he went up and rang the doorbell. A middle-aged guy answered the door, and the kid ran back to the car, got in and told me to get away. The guy got in his car and chased us, firing a couple of rounds. Luckily, I knew where the police station was, so I drove straight there and the guy took off. Turns out the kid was boinking the guy's wife. I don't know if the guy really trying to shoot us, or just firing into the air to scare us, but scare us it did. I was out the fare, about $20.

All over a woman. I would never drive a taxi.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: November 21, 2012 11:52AM
Yup..
As a teenager, buddy and I were hiking around the area near his "new" place...
We managed to slide down an embankment we then couldn't climb back up, and proceeded a few hundred yards down the slough to a spot we could climb up, and then over a short fence into a yard, hoping we could go around the house and be back on the main road.

Old crazy lady starts yelling at us to "get out of here".... we very politely tried to explain our predicament, and she pulls out a gun..
We immediately turn and start back over the back fence...
Then we heard shots from behind us.

Whether they were aimed or not, we don't know.

Took us another hour to find a place to get back to the road. Fortunately, the worst we got from the experience was poison oak.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 21, 2012 12:11PM
with or without a sausage gun.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: November 21, 2012 05:17PM
It's funny that you should mention this...I have been involved in an armed robbery (innocent bystander). Just a few days ago I noticed the car next to me in the CostCo parking lot had at least 4 bullet holes. Not the stickers that look like bullet holes, but rather the real deal. I'm not sure if they'll be visible in the photo, so I tried to circle them to make it more obvious.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: MacJeepster
Date: November 21, 2012 06:55PM
I was visiting a guy when I was a teenager. He said "Look at this," and pulled out a .38.
I said "watch where you're pointing that." I had taken NRA Hunter Safety Class and had gun safety rules drilled into me.
"Don't worry, It's not loaded," he said as he pulled the trigger.
The bullet went into the floor a half-inch from my foot.
"Treat every gun as if were loaded," is a pretty darn good rule.

-mj
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: November 21, 2012 07:32PM
MacJeepster
"Treat every gun as if were loaded," is a pretty darn good rule.

Yep... No one has ever been "accidentally" perforated treating every firearm as if it were loaded.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: decocritter
Date: November 21, 2012 07:48PM
Why do I keep following this thread?

Did have a 357 put at my neck, when I was robbed in my Antique store, then the guy made me walk to the back of my store (with the gun at the back of my neck) . Police said I was lucky to be alive. He got a $50 watch and about $45 cash.

It ain't like TV. It is horrifying and you think you are about to die. People should do long hard time for a crime like this. It is terrorism.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: November 21, 2012 08:22PM
Yep, as a stupid teenager, I got in a fight with some a-hole, who couldn't take an ass beating like a man! As I walked away, I saw him open up a car trunk and started running across an unmowed field....

Heard SOMETHING whizz near me and started running crooked patterns. Got around the corner and was picked up by a buddy who was with me! He ran to his car, I ran the other way.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 22, 2012 08:10AM
decocritter
Why do I keep following this thread?

Did have a 357 put at my neck, when I was robbed in my Antique store, then the guy made me walk to the back of my store (with the gun at the back of my neck) . Police said I was lucky to be alive. He got a $50 watch and about $45 cash.

It ain't like TV. It is horrifying and you think you are about to die. People should do long hard time for a crime like this. It is terrorism.

sorry to hear this. i can't imagine how scary it must have been.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 88
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020