advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Virgin Mobile iPhone 4S plus backup Tracfone?
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: November 27, 2012 08:34PM
Let me run this by you:

I am interested in an iPhone, preferably a 4S.
My goal is to become smartphone equipped, but keep my monthly cost as low as possible.
I need and want to keep a landline.
Paying retail for the phone up front is OK.
I will (probably) not be a heavy user of data.
I already have a Tracfone, and I am interested in the deal that was posted earlier today.

So, I can buy a VM iPhone 4S for $450 new, and their monthly plan is $30 with auto-pay. I am not sure if that includes taxes and fees but I think it does. If not, I think I'd add about $5/mo.

But VM uses Sprint's network with no roaming so coverage is mainly metro areas and interstate highways. Broad swaths of the country are without coverage. Tracfone's coverage map is much better.

So: I'd get both phones and take the Tracfone with me on trips, especially road trips, where I'm likely to go off of VM's map. This seems doable to me although it might appear to be a clumsy workaround. But it's still way cheaper than the next cheapest plan. Also: no contract so I can bail and sell the phone at any time if I'm not happy.

Sound like a plan? If I don't do this, I'll likely just blow off the iPhone idea altogether.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Virgin Mobile iPhone 4S plus backup Tracfone?
Posted by: rgG
Date: November 27, 2012 09:43PM
If you have good Verizon reception, I would buy a used iPhone 4s and activate it on Page Plus. You can get 1200 minutes, 3000 texts, and 250MB of data for $29.95 a month.

If you get better AT&T coverage buy a used AT&T iPhone and activate it on Tracfone for either their $30 or $45 a month plan. These two options would give you better coverage and I know you should be able get a good used 4s for a lot less than $450.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2012 07:11AM by rgG.
Date: November 27, 2012 10:03PM
Thanks rgG. This is the kind of tip I need. I am quite clueless about cell phone plans.

Posted by: decay
Date: November 27, 2012 10:48PM
where is that $30/mo Page Plus plan? i only found $40/mo.

---
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: November 27, 2012 11:51PM
decay
where is that $30/mo Page Plus plan? i only found $40/mo.

Price : $ 29.95
[www.pagepluscellular.com]

Grateful11
Posted by: DP
Date: November 28, 2012 06:46AM
Another vote for Page Plus. My wife has a 4 and is about to finish her contract with Verizon, paying $95 a month. As soon as that happens, I'm getting her on PP-the Talk & Text 1200 is more than she needs-for $29.95 a month.
Date: November 28, 2012 10:27AM
How far does a quarter gig of data go? I'm far less concerned about using all my minutes - that ain't gonna happen. I won't be downloading movies to my iPhone, but I don't have a clear idea about how much data is used by looking up stuff on the web, maps, and whatnot.

Also: is there a good reputable source of used iPhones? A lot of what's on Ebay seems really marginal, or close to the Virgin Mobile retail price.

Posted by: decay
Date: November 28, 2012 10:34AM
cowboom has iPhone 4 preowned for about $230 and up.

Black has bought from them, i think.

---
Posted by: rgG
Date: November 28, 2012 01:51PM
If you are around WiFi a good deal of the time and just use 3G to check email and the forum and look up a few things now and again, 250MB should be plenty. I have never gone over even 100MB because I am around WiFi most of the time.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 28, 2012 05:30PM
Straight Talk's $47/month unlimited talk/text/data isn't a bad deal (although the unlimited data is really 2gb).

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 155
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020