advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Ultra ATA/EIDE Drive in G5 Drive Bay?
Posted by: celliott
Date: August 09, 2006 05:58PM
Sorry, I've looked and can't find the thread I thought I read a few weeks ago. I'm looking at moving to a G5 from a G4 MDD- I have 3 Maxtor drives that I'd like to put into the second drive bay and in the front open area. What adapter(s) would I need to get it done? Also, if I mount additional ATA drives up front, what PCI card exists to allow me to connect to them.

Again, sorry, I know it's been addressed, just isn't coming up for me.

Thanks
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Ultra ATA/EIDE Drive in G5 Drive Bay?
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 09, 2006 06:00PM
click the "hard drives" tab above for PCI cards

you have to get power from the optical drive

you sure you cant replace them -- or at least one -- with a SATA drive?

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: tahoedrew
Date: August 09, 2006 06:03PM
Yeah, I think I'd look at a multi drive enclosure before trying to "shoehorn" an ATA drive into a SATA-only machine.

~A
Date: August 09, 2006 06:37PM
its not a big deal to get more drives in your G5, i have 4 myself -- but all SATA

Posted by: tahoedrew
Date: August 09, 2006 07:15PM
jdc
all SATA

Exactly my point. My concern was not the number but the interface required.

~A
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 09, 2006 07:19PM
well, how much would a P-ATA PCI card cost for a G5? About the cost of a 1 new drive. I would get a couple of FW cases.
Date: August 09, 2006 07:59PM
SATA cards are 1/2 as much $$ as an PATA card -- but only 2 drives rather than 4

4 drive cards are still about $20 cheaper

Racer x has a good point as well

$80 for a card is about as much as a 300 gig SATA drive

Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 09, 2006 10:02PM
and then put the P-ATA drives in FW cases for back-ups.
Posted by: zachdog
Date: August 09, 2006 10:15PM
PCI ATA/IDE cards are NOT compatible with the Power Mac G5. You will encounter problems. You can, however, get a round IDE cable and use an IDE drive as a slave off of the CD/DVD drive. You'll need a power splitter and small hands. I have the mod in my G5, and I did it without cutting anything--I just added the two cables.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: August 09, 2006 11:15PM
yes, setting up a PATA hard drive on top of the optical drive in a G5 isn't quite like cutting butter, but it can be done without any tools.

I did this to my G5, you'll need a power splitter (unplug the cable from the optical drive, attach the splitter, the run one side to the HD and one to the optical) and an 80-pin ATA cable with 3 connectors on it (one for the logic board, one for each drive) the stock cable is only made for one drive. That's it.
well, you may also want some sort of non-metallic tray to put the HD on to prevent any electrical badness as it will be sitting bare on the optical drive metal otherwise.

The trick is getting the cables plugged in with the drive already in there. Tip- to get the drive in try placing the G5 on it's side, removing the optical drive first, then setting the HD inside as close to the top as you can get it to stay, then put the optical drive back in.

NOW, if you are really bent on getting all those drives in there, you will need a PATA PCI card, of which I can't make any suggestions for, so ask around. Further, you would need to split power from another source for those drives.

To mount those, you can either fab your own carrier to stand the drives up in front of the CPU fans, or possibly set them inside where the PCI cards are supposed to go (assuming you don't have any PCI cards). Or just buy one of the many kits out there that do this.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 135
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020