advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Need advice - have to make a web page for our HOA
Posted by: olnacl
Date: December 14, 2012 10:23AM
I'm not a programmer, so what I need are suggestions on getting a domain name and a web page hosted. I need to make changes on the web page, so something like the now defunct iWeb would have been great. I plan to use it to post community messages, like dates the roads are going to be resurfaced, roof inspections, etc, Nothing fancy.

I've seen ads for complete web page services including the domain name starting at <$100 a year. That would be fine, but I want to avoid any problems that might befall a novice. The need for me to be able to edit the web page is critical.

I could devote an old 1.42 GHz PPC Mac Mini to do duty as a web server or even a Dell C2D desktop that I have laying around, but since I'm in an elected office and may not be the person responsible for the rest of my life, it would be easier to hand off something hosted by an outside organization.

Any and all suggestions and advice appreciated, especially those from personal experience.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Need advice - have to make a web page for our HOA
Posted by: bik
Date: December 14, 2012 10:34AM
You don't want to start maintaining your own web server.

I would recommend a blog at [wordpress.org]
Posted by: Acer
Date: December 14, 2012 10:41AM
I suggest a font reminscent of a totalitarian regime.
Date: December 14, 2012 10:45AM
Thanks, I'm looking at Wordpress now. I'll have to think about the font suggestion though…
Keep those cards and letters coming!
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: December 14, 2012 10:48AM
How about the very iWeb like Sandvox?

And though it's possible, I wouldn't suggest having your own web server either. You'll spend way more time on the learning curve than just paying the $100 a year. And you can probably cut that by a third with some shopping around if the site will be pretty low traffic.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: December 14, 2012 10:50AM
Oh, and you might also see how much Google Apps, with Google Sites, would cost... Probably the fastest way to get up and running, but I don't know what some recent changes to Google Apps has done with their pricing structure.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: lazydays
Date: December 14, 2012 11:14AM
I kept a blog on [www.blogger.com] for a little while. No software, super easy to use, tracking services, I had no complaints. I'm sure there are many comparable services. Most people seem to be doing this kind of thing via facebook anymore but I'm not a facebook fan.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: December 14, 2012 11:33AM
Many hosting sites also offer deals on domains. Even if you already have a domain you can switch it to theirs when the time comes if advantageous. What this gives you is one bill (usually, maybe) to send to he HOA treasurer and one stop shopping for service issues (usually, maybe).

Yeah, you do not want to host it yourself. The HOA can afford the $100 a year or less. I signed ours up wih justhost.com and got the domain registration moved over to them for less than $70/yr. Otherwise, a $5 per month (often less) hosting account will get er dun. This won't be a high traffic site or whatever.
Posted by: ArtP
Date: December 14, 2012 11:42AM
bik
You don't want to start maintaining your own web server.

I would recommend a blog at [wordpress.org]

Definitely sounds like a job for wordpress. You can either go to Wordpress website and start your own website (Free - it's a blog that "looks" like a website) and add/point your unique easy domain ($20 per year if I remember). Here's a link to the web based wordpress: [wordpress.com]

Or you can buy your own domain name (less than $20 per year) and get webhosting ($5 to 10 per month) and many better ones have a "wordpress install" (via your cpanel) that gives you more customization and ability to do add ons/plug ins that make the site easier to manage.

Good thing about wordpress is that it has been around for many years and has come a long way since simple "blogging" and it is not going anywhere like iweb or any of the non dreamweaver type apps.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: December 14, 2012 12:00PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2012 12:00PM by deckeda.
Posted by: yeoman
Date: December 14, 2012 01:27PM
I did this for our HOA. WordPress and Host9 for web hosting. PM if you want more info.

[wekivagolfvillas.com]
Posted by: zero
Date: December 14, 2012 02:28PM
Put this at the top

Date: December 14, 2012 08:34PM
Thanks for the suggestions and information. After looking at the Wordpress tutorials, I decided to go with WordPress on Bluehost for $152 for three years including the domain name. Now to see if I can create the website - should keep me off the streets for a couple days before I get it right. I doubt the HOA will complain about the cost and if they do I'll use it for myself.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: December 15, 2012 01:23PM
Don't forget y'all need a good logo:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 246
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020