advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How to get photos onto iPad 4 without camera adapter, etc.?
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: December 30, 2012 09:20AM
Hi,

Without going into too many details, I need to get about 5GB of photos onto my father-in-law's iPad 4 before he leaves to return to his home overseas in a couple of days.

Since the computer he syncs with is overseas, I don't have the option to just sync.

I have the regular iPad Camera Connection Kit, but since this is an iPad 4, I can't use that unless we spend more money for the 30 pin to Lightning adapter.

So, I'm looking for a way to maybe upload it to the "cloud" (not iCloud per se) via my Mac and then download it onto his iPad 4 via maybe some "cloud" or "drive" app.

I was thinking about just uploading the photos to something like Google Drive or SkyDrive and then downloading them via the same app on the iPad 4. Would that work? Am I able to actually download onto the iPad 4 via those apps or can I only access/view the photos via those apps, but not download them?

Any other suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks!

My music blog: [www.auditorymusings.net]

The Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, Colorado
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How to get photos onto iPad 4 without camera adapter, etc.?
Posted by: dmann
Date: December 30, 2012 09:44AM
Dropbox! smiling smiley

DM
Date: December 30, 2012 10:01AM
I don't think I have 5gb of space in my free DropBox account.
Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: December 30, 2012 10:28AM
pinkoos
I don't think I have 5gb of space in my free DropBox account.

So why not do it in pieces. Download some, empty from DB and add more, etc.

Asheville, NC Area
Posted by: Kate
Date: December 30, 2012 10:34AM
What are you transferring from? I use PhotoSync, works between phones, iPads and computers.

Kate
Date: December 30, 2012 10:35AM
Ok. That's a possibility. I'm also looking into some of the free apps that allow you to fileshare between a Mac and iPad over wifi or Bluetooth.
Posted by: thermarest
Date: December 30, 2012 11:14AM
Set up a shared photostream in iPhoto on your mac. Invite him to share it. Put the desired photos into the stream within iPhoto and they'll be synced to any device that he is signed into with the same Apple ID. Photos in shared photostreams do not count towards your iCloud storage limit.

IMHO, shared photostreams are just about the perfect way to share photos with distant grandparents. Automagicallly appearing in their iPhoto and iWhatevers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2012 11:17AM by thermarest.
Posted by: DavidS
Date: December 30, 2012 11:18AM
Photostream or Dropbox. I think that Dropbox is still doing the promotion where they increase your storage lot when you upload photos to your account. He can then download the photos from anywhere he has an Internet connection.
Posted by: Golfer
Date: December 30, 2012 11:18AM
I use Files Pro to move files between our Macs and iPhones/iPads over Wifi.
Posted by: Chris Y
Date: December 30, 2012 11:54AM
i will second photosync. I do this for my mother-in-law's ipad when she is visiting. it works over wifi so it's faster than cloud based services which can take awhile to upload 5gb (at least if you are one dsl). Then you can make albums on the ipad with the photos. It's not free but a small price to pay ($2 for iOS app and free for computer app).
Posted by: StingMe
Date: December 30, 2012 12:25PM
Why not put the photos on a thumb drive and let him transfer them when he gets home?
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 30, 2012 12:32PM
Why not put the photos on a thumb drive and let him transfer them when he gets home?

Very practical, though he can't enjoy them on the trip home.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: December 30, 2012 01:02PM
Thanks. I think PhotoSync looks like a good option. Will give it a try.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: December 30, 2012 01:39PM
pinkoos
Ok. That's a possibility. I'm also looking into some of the free apps that allow you to fileshare between a Mac and iPad over wifi or Bluetooth.

The GoodReader app allows you to access the file system on a host system via WiFi.
Posted by: MEG
Date: December 30, 2012 01:47PM
Version 2 of iExplorer was free and would mount the iPad on your desktop so you could transfer files if you can find a copy somewhere. Version 3 costs $30 I think. If you bought a software bundle (MacUpdate/MacHeist/etc.) they sometimes include an app that would do the same thing (Phone to Mac was in the spring 2012 MacUpdate Bundle).
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: December 30, 2012 01:50PM
I'd do both a photstream and the thumb drive .
Posted by: rgG
Date: December 30, 2012 02:56PM
Late to the party, but I was able to do this by using the PhotoBucket app.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: December 30, 2012 08:01PM
Box.net is also a good one.

Date: January 01, 2013 11:04AM
Thanks for all of the replies.

For various reasons, I couldn't go the app route. Couldn't get apps loaded onto the iPad so I decided to go with the shared Photostream approach.

I imported the 1894 photos into my iPhoto library on my Mac and then had to create two separate shared Photostreams (b/c each Photostream has a 1000 photo limit). "FIL Pics One" and "FIL Pics Two" (or something to that effect).

Put the first 1000 photos into the first shared Photostream and then the remaining 894 photos into the second shared Photostream. Sent the "invitations" to him and everything seemed great. However, we ran into a problem:

Of course it was going to take quite a while for the photos to get uploaded into the cloud (that is understandable), but it did it very slowly and incompletely. It would upload for a minute or less (evidenced by the spinning arrows next to Photostream in the left sidebar in iPhoto) and then stop for a minute or two. After many hours, the first shared Photostream finally completed uploading it's 1000 photos. In the interim, the 2nd shared Photostream was also uploading, but it's now stuck at only 224 photos. It won't upload the remaining 600 or so photos that are technically "in" the shared Photostream (as evidenced by me trying to add those photos into the shared Photostream again and getting a message that the 1000 photo limit has already been reached).

I've tried restarting iPhoto in hopes that that would "kickstart" the process, but no luck.

So now he has 1000 photos showing up in the first shared Photostream on his iPad and only 224 photos showing up in his 2nd shared Photostream.

Just wondering if anybody has any ideas on how to move forward with this?

Thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 73
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020